Eurovision Song Contest 2022 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
how do they decide it?

The first steps in the long and complicated process is the appointment of the core team and the selection of the Host City. "Choosing a host city is one of the most crucial decisions to take when it comes to the Eurovision Song Contest," says Jon Ola Sand. "Everything has to be scrutinised, it is not only talking to the city once or twice, you need sit down and negotiate down to the finest detail," he added.

Whilst hosting the Eurovision Song Contest is a logistical and financial challege, it brings with it huge opportunities. "Hosting the Eurovision Song Contest gives great benefits for the hosting city. It creates a lot of attention around the city name which is spread all over the world. It gives the country and city the possibility to show what it can offer tourists," said Jon Ola Sand.

Throughout the Host City Bid process the EBU and Host Broadcaster work closely and visit each of the candidate cities to inspect the venues and evaluate the standard of both hotels and infrastructure.

Reactions: 1
Could see Ukraine asking to move it to Poland. That was partly on the cards before Ukraine won too if anyone remembers
It's unlikely to be Poland as they were implicated in the cheating scandal this year.

New EBU Statement: https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/r...V3IZZ6HAlJOgN2Aaujhq_B6zbR7xubqPUmOMqtVpNMixI

The EBU fully understands the disappointment that greeted the announcement that the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) cannot be staged in Ukraine, this year’s winning country.

The decision was guided by the EBU’s responsibility to ensure the conditions are met to guarantee the safety and security of everyone working and participating in the event, the planning of which needs to begin immediately in the host country.

At least 10,000 people are usually accredited to work on, or at, the Eurovision Song Contest including crew, staff and journalists. A further 30,000 fans are expected to travel to the event from across the world. Their welfare is our prime concern.

It is therefore critical that decisions made in relation to such a complex live television event are made by broadcasting professionals and do not become politicized.

The Rules of the Eurovision Song Contest, that all participating broadcasters agree upon, clearly state that the event can be moved in a force majeure situation such as an ongoing war.

In response to the EBU’s security questionnaire a number of risks that would impact the immediate planning for such a large event, including the “severe” risk of air raids/attacks by aircraft or attacks by drones or missiles, which can cause significant casualties, were highlighted by the Ukrainian assessment provided to us.

Additionally, the EBU sought third-party expert security advice which clearly stated that the counter measures proposed to mitigate the threats planning the event in Ukraine were insufficient for an international public event and the risk rating of a mass casualty event due to the ongoing conflict is “high”.

Alongside the security concerns, the continued conflict in Ukraine makes delegations and participants reluctant to travel to the country. We also noted the comments made by the NATO Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, that the war in Ukraine “could take years."

With regards to the possibility of hosting the Contest in a border location close to a neighbouring country, the specifications of suggested venues, and the lack of the necessary surrounding infrastructure, do not meet the requirements of the ESC.

When drawing its conclusions, the EBU also took note that, based on our current information, no major international concert tours are visiting Ukraine throughout 2023.

All this contributes to the EBU’s overall assessment that in terms of security and operational guarantees, the necessary requirements for hosting, as set out in the Rules of the Eurovision Song Contest are not met.

Taking all of this into account the EBU, with regret, made its decision to move the event to another country and will continue discussions on finding a suitable location for next year’s Eurovision Song Contest. We are happy to engage further with our Ukrainian Member UABC on all these issues.
Sounds pretty fair to me. I'm irritated by the way the Ukrainian reps have handled this, throwing a hissy fit over it. As if hosting Eurovision is worth risking the safety of crew, delegations and fans. Face facts guys. I actually don't care now if they withdraw next year, it's so sour...and let's face it, if they enter next year they will prob win again even if the song is 3 mins of non stop farting.

Reactions: 7
I miss Jon Ola Sand :cry: he always looked slightly terrified whenever the camera was on him. The new guy's catchphrase isn't as good as Jon Ola's 🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It's unlikely to be Poland as they were implicated in the cheating scandal this year.

Sounds pretty fair to me. I'm irritated by the way the Ukrainian reps have handled this, throwing a hissy fit over it. As if hosting Eurovision is worth risking the safety of crew, delegations and fans. Face facts guys. I actually don't care now if they withdraw next year, it's so sour...and let's face it, if they enter next year they will prob win again even if the song is 3 mins of non stop farting.
Boris Johnson & Nadine Dorries haven’t helped either with their silly unrealistic comments asking the EBU to reconsider. Ukraine have one of the best reputations in the contest for their entries so your last sentence is ugh, you sound like a local. Public sympathy only extends so far it’s unlikely they will win next year. However yes, I will vote for GO A if they enter next year because they are fantastic & SHUM is one of my favourite ever ESC entries.

Some Spanish fans are very annoying they keep bleating on about Chanel being the real winner based on daily Spotify streams but don’t understand 98% of SloMo streams are from Spanish people and the whole world isn’t listening to her. Heck one must be smoking something good they said said Chanel will be invited to perform at the World Cup Final.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
They just changed the profile picture and header of their Facebook

Very basic and no mention of a hosting country? Organiser also listed as EBU

Might just be something they have to do until everything is confirmed so has no meaning
I can't take the tension, I want them to hurry up and announce whether UK taking it or not, plus I want to book my hotel! I still have a weird feeling BBC could turn it down and it would end up going to Sweden.

Reactions: 2
I can't take the tension, I want them to hurry up and announce whether UK taking it or not, plus I want to book my hotel! I still have a weird feeling BBC could turn it down and it would end up going to Sweden.
Sameeee. I know some delay is expected because of the political weight behind it but it’s starting to feel a tad bit too long

Reactions: 1
Why does it matter if it's in UK or Sweden when we all know Måns Zelmerlöw will be the host either way

Reactions: 2
I've put this in the Sam Ryder thread, but here he is at the British Grand Prix today:

The thing I love about Sam is his enthusiasm means nothing phases him.

Eurovision with a 7000 audience + 161 million at home? No problem ✅

Queen’s Platinum Jubilee with 100,000 audience + millions watching at home? No problem ✅

F1 British Grand Prix rock mash-up of the National Anthem with 150,000 spectators + millions worldwide? Nope, still no problem ✅

In the past few days he’s performed at Bergenfest 🏕 (Norway), TIMS Summer Hits 🎶 (Italy), Barn on the Farm x 2 🏕 (UK) and Silverstone 🏁🏎

He’s performed his new song at some of the festivals and he said it’s out in July.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There’s been a meme that these two look alike and you never see them in the same room… until now 🤭

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.