Eoghan McDermott - Irish radio stars face social media allegations.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The girl was 17 and he was 27. Getting the girl to admit she was the age of consent (17) isn’t really the win he thinks it is. I dunno, if someone accused me of something like that I wouldn’t have just ran off and hid for over year. I’d at least put out a statement refuting the allegations and say I’m going to fight it. I’d also be looking to sue the person for false allegations, but he’s not. The statement is very carefully worded and seems like a settlement between the two parties. No one is going to know what happened between them, but it doesn’t seem cut and dry at all. And sorry, a 27 year old pursing and having a relationship with a 17 year old is bleeping creepy.
It’s been said many times here and in the deleted thread, there are reasons why anyone in that scenario wouldn’t make a statement. Once he makes a statement, the media could report on it. Plus given solicitors are involved, he clearly did go the legal route.

We also don’t know she was 17. Surely at this point it’s worth stepping back from making allegations like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
It’s been said many times here and in the deleted thread, there are reasons why anyone in that scenario wouldn’t make a statement. Once he makes a statement, the media could report on it. Plus given solicitors are involved, he clearly did go the legal route.

We also don’t know she was 17. Surely at this point it’s worth stepping back from making allegations like this?
As I said in my other post today, no we don't know anything, but for how much they're doing legal gymnastics to get around things on a technicality I think it would have been stated in the letter that she was over 18 if she was in fact over 18, but they didn't do that. They used the phrase "over the age of consent" which leaves a lot to read between the lines. It's up to you what you take from that. It's also been over 24 hours now of intense discussion on twitter of her only being 17, I think his lawyers would be after coming out to clarify that by now if that wasn't the case. But that's just my opinion, not an allegation.

Reactions: 12
I am very conflicted on this.
Firstly I hope all parties are doing ok, the trial by social media is a harrowing one, each and every comment is from a self proclaimed expert who are battling to race to the bottom as being the most righteous. There is the fact that some false allegations look to have been put on social media.....again not cool. Finally the legal letter, i really dunno what to make of it, leaves many open questions, the item about no sexual assault by third parties confused the hell outta me and has me trying to decipher the whole thing. Its not the first or last trial by social media it really shows that the laws around social media posting, accuracy, harassment, consent and general decorum are something which really need a propper scrubbing as whats in place at the moment is not worth a duck.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Is it completely unethical and weird that he was 27 and she was 17? Absolutely, a massive creep…. But the original Reddit post was heavily leaning into the “he loved underage girls” in particular in order to incriminate him, which it did….. He lost both of his high profile jobs, his girlfriend, Twitter and the general public crucified him and a lot of his family and mates turned on him (for the obvious reasons) because of the very reasonable and important stance of ‘believing her’.. public shaming was literally forbidden in Roman times because they considered it too cruel of a punishment … Eoghan endured nearly two years of it, spent in in absolute exile while everyone hated him .. I’d say that equals 20 years of prison at least. The age gap thing happens and while it’s not right, his punishment wasn’t in proportion to his crime... All the girl achieved was discredit her own word and didn’t help any girls of SA that come after her after this high profile false accusation case
Anyone in the public eye opens themselves up to public shaming unfortunately and I think the reason Eoghan McDermott has been discussed and "shamed" so heavily is because he portrayed himself as holier than thou and was very quick to point the finger at other people using his substantial platform. The radio silence for a year and then coming on with that letter was a very poor move in my opinion. He's suing Twitter and the reason he's not suing her is because he reached a settlement. I presume reaching a settlement with her was damage control as if he sued her, factual details of their relationship would be brought to light and, whilst not illegal, would most certainly be perceived as extremely creepy and do further damage to his reputation. I think the saddest thing about all of this is it's a further deterrent to women suffering at the hands of men to speak out.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
As I said in my other post today, no we don't know anything, but for how much they're doing legal gymnastics to get around things on a technicality I think it would have been stated in the letter that she was over 18 if she was in fact over 18, but they didn't do that. They used the phrase "over the age of consent" which leaves a lot to read between the lines. It's up to you what you take from that. It's also been over 24 hours now of intense discussion on twitter of her only being 17, I think his lawyers would be after coming out to clarify that by now if that wasn't the case. But that's just my opinion, not an allegation.
Look all I am saying is that people saying something on Twitter doesn’t make it true. I wouldn’t expect an immediate response from his lawyers either if she was over 17.

Idle speculation being taken as fact like that rarely helps anything.

A year of silence
And a solicitors letter retracing specifics - and letting us know this girl was of the age of consent (which does not show consent )…
No mention of allegations themselves denied or withdrawn ….
No mention of anything else.
To me, anything shared or posted that wasn’t true (that he fled, was related to a guard etc) seems to have been the hobby horse to prove that was false so to give people the idea that everything was false. However having been through something myself & saw a guilty narcisstic person cling to the few lies told about the story that ‘exonerate’ him in the hope that it discredits the story teller about the rest of the story.
This statement said nothing about him denying the claims, that he was upset or sorry…. This was him clarifying mediocre issues in the hope that people who are less aware or informed on how legal matters work, would think he’s completely innocent . Which I don’t believe to be the case

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Look all I am saying is that people saying something on Twitter doesn’t make it true. I wouldn’t expect an immediate response from his lawyers either if she was over 17.

Idle speculation being taken as fact like that rarely helps anything.
Its not idle speculation though, if you go back and read the original Reddit post that’s still screenshotted at the start of this thread she says she was 16 when he first started messaging her and that she was still in school doing her Leaving Cert. If that wasn’t true she would have had to retract it in the letter, but she didn’t. I get wanting to take a balanced view on things but the information is there.

Reactions: 9
.. public shaming was literally forbidden in Roman times because they considered it too cruel of a punishment …
Yeah, they crucified that Jesus fella in private to spare his blushes. This literally makes all your arguments look like shite.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Interesting letter from the solicitor. Lots of allegations made about him related to sexual misconduct, drugs etc. The letter doesn’t say ALL the allegations are false. You can be sure they would have stressed that point if everything in her account was untrue.
I got banned for spamming a Louise McSharry thre
Above the age of consent just means you’re at least 17. Using legal gymnastics she could literally have just turned 17 the day before and legally he’s in the clear and the letter is correct. He might not have done anything illegal but morally I have an issue with a 27 year old being intimate with a 17 year old. And waiting for her to be legal isn’t commendable if he’s been grooming her prior to that.
Didn't the letter say they never "met or had any contact" before she was 17? Splitting hairs in one sense cause it's still wrong but important for him I guess. Different to waiting until she was turned 17. Anyway he's done. If she didn't want to go through the Gardai then she's still gotten the best result for her. He's absolutely ruined, reputation and life is dust, girlfriend and future gone, she didn't have to go to court and didn't get sued for the stuff she had to take back... And nobody knows who she is apart from friends and family. Win for her! Hopefully she can put it behind her and feel vindicated.

Reactions: 8
Yeah, they crucified that Jesus fella in private to spare his blushes. This literally makes all your arguments look like shite.
lmao my bad ... read that in 'so you've been publicly shamed' years ago and felt like an apt occasion to reference to it

Reactions: 1
So he disappeared into a cloud of suspicious rumours in March 2021, laid low for the balls of a year, reappeared for a momentary tweet in March 2022 with some level of response refuting some of the particular details of the accusation but not the accusation in its entirety...and now what? What the hell is Eoghan McDermott's plan and how is he stretching his RTE savings to last 15 months and counting?

Bloody strange, this one.

Reactions: 15
So he disappeared into a cloud of suspicious rumours in March 2021, laid low for the balls of a year, reappeared for a momentary tweet in March 2022 with some level of response refuting some of the particular details of the accusation but not the accusation in its entirety...and now what? What the hell is Eoghan McDermott's plan and how is he stretching his RTE savings to last 15 months and counting?

His plan? Probably the dole like any other unemployed person.

What media outlet here will touch him? He won his little battle about minor technicalities like she was 17 not 16. There was no retraction about the nature of the sexual act that she found traumatising enough to write about it on reddit in such detail.

Leave him in the bin where he belongs.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
His plan? Probably the dole like any other unemployed person.

What media outlet here will touch him? He won his little battle about minor technicalities like she was 17 not 16. There was no retraction about the nature of the sexual act that she found traumatising enough to write about it on reddit in such detail.

Leave him in the bin where he belongs.

Preach 🙌🙌🙌🙌

Reactions: 4
He’s probably writing a book about the injustice of it all. Wonder will Aoife get back with him??

Reactions: 2

I don’t think his big return to twitter got the reaction that he thought it would. He deleted his account soon after.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.