Emotional Eating and Food Addiction

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Been going back and fourth about making this thread but it's something I really struggle with and my new years resolution was to get it under control. so I thought maybe others would struggle with it too and we can have a support thread on here for it. I couldn't see another thread on this.

I had anorexia growing up and I recovered but I still struggle with eating and using food for comfort.

I've been speaking to my therapist about it and we came to the conclusion that it's a lot to do with loneliness and safety.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Been going back and fourth about making this thread but it's something I really struggle with and my new years resolution was to get it under control. so I thought maybe others would struggle with it too and we can have a support thread on here for it. I couldn't see another thread on this.

I had anorexia growing up and I recovered but I still struggle with eating and using food for comfort.

I've been speaking to my therapist about it and we came to the conclusion that it's a lot to do with loneliness and safety.
I feel like you've described me to a t struggled with anorexia as a pre teen and in my teens and now i eat for comfort and feel i use it as a crutch but its hard because i thought i was faf when i was a teen and now im actually f*t (I'm gonna do this to not trigger people) its just so difficult and i hate myself but i feel because its something i do to myself its my fault and i should be able to fix it i eat fairly well (as can be) in day but it gets to night and the snacking is out of control maybe because im bored i am on quetiapine so that cant help šŸ˜…

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I feel like you've described me to a t struggled with anorexia as a pre teen and in my teens and now i eat for comfort and feel i use it as a crutch but its hard because i thought i was faf when i was a teen and now im actually f*t (I'm gonna do this to not trigger people) its just so difficult and i hate myself but i feel because its something i do to myself its my fault and i should be able to fix it i eat fairly well (as can be) in day but it gets to night and the snacking is out of control maybe because im bored i am on quetiapine so that cant help šŸ˜…
I am the same. I try and eat a healthy meal but I still end up at mcdonalds. It's such a vice now and I hate it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I was a binge eater from 17- 24. Was horrible. I got over it by getting to the source of the problem and with therapy. Im distanced from my family and my friends are my family now. Im successful in my personal life and thats helped. Yes i felt unloved. You can get over it. Get to the route of the issue and tackle it from there. No matter how hard it is. You will relapse i still do occasionally but i dont beat myself up over it as im so much better than i used to be.

Yes i was lonely and used food to fill that gap. Im so glad you have a therapist and getting to the route of the issue. Its a long road but you will get there

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm reading a book called 'Overcoming Binge Eating' by Christopher Fairburn

I'm only 20% through it so can't really comment, but it's got great feedback on Amazon so thought I'd share in case it's useful to anyone.

It was on my 'to-read' list for a long time but eventually got the courage to download it on my kindle xxxxx

I am the same. I try and eat a healthy meal but I still end up at mcdonalds. It's such a vice now and I hate it.
I do fakeaways at home every friday try remake like a big mac or a zinger burger the downfall for me is crisps and biscuits sweets chocolate and noodles

I've just bought "The Last Diet" by Shahroo Izadi, and I relate so hard with what she writes. It was only 3 quid or so on kindle but already worth the buy just to feel seen.

Iā€™m so glad to have found this threadā€¦. I need HELP.

Im mid 30s, always was slightly bigger as a child (and I mean slightly - not overweight at all, very sporty and active but loved my food. However, kids were cruel and I was called fat from primary right through secondary school.

I left school bigger than my friends at around a size 14.

I finished school, joined WW with my mum and managed to lose almost 3 stone in a very quick space of time and was delighted to be a size 8-10. For the first time in my life I was the same size as all the other girls my age. I know slimming clubs get a bad reputation nowadays, but I can honestly say I loved WW first time round - there was no obsessing, just enjoying food I loved and also plenty of days off to go drinking and partying with my friends. I just picked up the next day and the weight flew off me.

I only maintained this for a year, got into a relationship, stopped WW and spent all my spare time with my first boyfriend eating - takeaways, meals out, huge bags of sweets and bars of chocolate. I went back to a size 14 very quick and then a 16.

Bigger than ever I got pregnant and off course ballooned to 20stone. I never lost that baby weight šŸ˜­

I spent the next 15 years being a mum, prioritising everyone but myself and in all honestly didnā€™t care what I looked like. Although every single day I vowed ā€˜this is itā€™ and each day I started a new diet - some days calorie counting, some day fasting, some day slimming world but never sticking to them. Always ending the day with a binge

I took control last year and lost 5 stone. From January to September I walked 10K steps everyday and counted calories. I didnā€™t miss a day and didnā€™t cheat once. Then in September I had a meal and drinks out with a friend and since then Iā€™ve been locked in a binge cycle - Iā€™m out of control and have gained 2 stone back šŸ˜­

I got Christmas over and have said everyday Iā€™ll start tomorrowā€¦ start in the morning and by afternoon Iā€™m binging. Disgusting amounts, Iā€™m scared to get on the scales as itā€™s bound to be more than 2stone now.

I really believed last year I was cured I canā€™t believe Iā€™m back here.

I donā€™t know why I do it. Honestly thereā€™s no trauma or problems, I really believe itā€™s just pure greed!

sorry this ended up longer than expected. Not sure what Iā€™m asking. Has anyone beat this? And advice šŸ„“

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Im mid 30s, always was slightly bigger as a child (and I mean slightly - not overweight at all, very sporty and active but loved my food. However, kids were cruel and I was called fat from primary right through secondary school.

I finished school, joined WW with my mum and managed to lose almost 3 stone in a very quick space of time and was delighted to be a size 8-10. For the first time in my life I was the same size as all the other girls my age. I know slimming clubs get a bad reputation nowadays, but I can honestly say I loved WW first time round - there was no obsessing, just enjoying food I loved and also plenty of days off to go drinking and partying with my friends. I just picked up the next day and the weight flew off me.

I only maintained this for a year, got into a relationship, stopped WW and spent all my spare time with my first boyfriend eating - takeaways, meals out, huge bags of sweets and bars of chocolate. I went back to a size 14 very quick and then a 16.

Bigger than ever I got pregnant and off course ballooned to 20stone. I never lost that baby weight šŸ˜­

I spent the next 15 years being a mum, prioritising everyone but myself and in all honestly didnā€™t care what I looked like. Although every single day I vowed ā€˜this is itā€™ and each day I started a new diet - some days calorie counting, some day fasting, some day slimming world but never sticking to them. Always ending the day with a binge

I took control last year and lost 5 stone. From January to September I walked 10K steps everyday and counted calories. I didnā€™t miss a day and didnā€™t cheat once. Then in September I had a meal and drinks out with a friend and since then Iā€™ve been locked in a binge cycle - Iā€™m out of control and have gained 2 stone back šŸ˜­

I got Christmas over and have said everyday Iā€™ll start tomorrowā€¦ start in the morning and by afternoon Iā€™m binging. Disgusting amounts, Iā€™m scared to get on the scales as itā€™s bound to be more than 2stone now.

I donā€™t know why I do it. Honestly thereā€™s no trauma or problems, I really believe itā€™s just pure greed!

sorry this ended up longer than expected. Not sure what Iā€™m asking. Has anyone beat this? And advice šŸ„“
I could have basically written this! I feel itā€™s so draining constantly starting a new diet and then bingeing come afternoon, then thinking it must be the diet that isnā€™t right Iā€™ll try another one and just get into a vicious cycle! Then I get annoyed with myself for not sticking to a diet when I have done so well in the past!

No advice really but just wanted to let you know youā€™re not the only one feeling like this x

• Heart
Iā€™ve got a bad relationship with food, Iā€™m definitely a comfort eater. I was on a medication that impacted on my weight (Lithium) and Iā€™m embarrassed at how heavy I am (I wonā€™t even tell my husband what the scales say).

At the moment, Iā€™m at the correct headspace to lose weight. I had once lost weight at a slimming class and I donā€™t think thatā€™s helped the bigger picture - I lost 2lbs my first week and Iā€™m gutted because I should be losing a lot in my first week given how much I weigh.

If Iā€™m not in the right headspace I secret eat and at the time it feels amazingā€¦afterwards I feel awful and on it goes.

Thanks for starting a thread on this ā¤

• Heart

Is the problem that you take an all or nothing approach? You say that last year you walked every day and didn't 'cheat once' and that all it took was a meal and drinks with a friend to put you into a binge cycle. Even if you're trying to lose weight you should plan in treats to keep you going and make it sustainable. Whether it's a small pizza and G&T on a Saturday night or a fun size Milky Way as an afternoon treat with a cup of tea, plan in sensible sustainable treats. If you calorie count then in theory no food should be off-limits, you just need to plan around it. So, if you've had a heavy gym week then get a burger, or switch out a side of fries for a salad and get the dessert you fancy.

Hey everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ»

Soā€¦.. obviously Iā€™m here because I struggle to have a healthy relationship with food. But, I wanted to tell you all about why, as some of you may have spent your entire lives beating yourselves up and feeling guilty about something that was never in your control.

Imagine going to a weight loss club, at first you feel excited and motivated, you learn to count whatever it is they count, you follow the social media accounts, you get a buzz from expertly pulling off a recipe, you go to the weigh ins and the first few go really well, nice big numbers coming off each week, and then one week, it plateaus, suddenly that buzz wears off, youā€™re frustrated that each week thereā€™s barely any movement on the scales, the more you try the worse it gets, you start to dread the weigh ins and starve yourself on those days, take your shoes off, your cardigan off even your jewellery in the hope it makes a difference on the scales, and the more you tell yourself to stay on track the harder it is, you start to skip weigh ins because you donā€™t need the judgement, and before you know it youā€™ve sacked it off, lost your mojo, this weight loss method didnā€™t work, just like the rest.

I have ADHD and I am pathologically demand avoidant. Some may wonder why this matters, ā€œIā€™m not hyper this wonā€™t apply to meā€ - well Iā€™m not hyperactive either -it is so much more complex (and common) than the stereotype led us all to believe! Iā€™m clumsy, terrible balance, always knocking into the corners of furnitureā€¦ I interrupt people when theyā€™re speaking, if I wait until they finish I forgot what my point wasā€¦ my two modes are obsessed or avoidant, I either spend 2 days solid staring at Pinterest making plans, or put off a simple chore for two weeksā€¦ I find myself trapped on the sofa or in my car a lot, zoned out scrolling, I get annoyed with myself because I have things to do and Iā€™m very aware Iā€™m being lazy but the more I push myself mentally to get up the harder I fight backā€¦ every piece of homework in school was left to the very last minute, every exam crammed for the night before, my time keeping has always been terrible but I thrive under pressure, give me multiple tasks and imminent deadlines and I will shine! And, most importantly, every single time I tell myself that I have to diet, that iā€™m going to be healthy, within days I slip, obsessing over junk cravings and finding ways to sneak snacks or a high calorie lunch, telling myself itā€™s a one off, ā€œget it out of my systemā€ā€¦ only itā€™s never just the once.

So, if any of that feels familiar to you, you could well be struggling with a form of neurodivergence. Iā€™ve never been hyperactive, I was generally a good (if always late) student, I needed no help in school and until recently had never considered there to be an issue, yet here I am, fully diagnosed and mind blown at why I struggle so much with this area of life. ADHD is basically short-hand for ā€œdopamine seekerā€ we need it at a much faster rate than a typical brain, so we seek out anything that gives us a rush; gambling, drugs, sexā€¦. Itā€™s no surprise that the most easily accessible addictive substance, food, becomes a problem. Add in the common complication of demand avoidance and itā€™s a recipe for disaster!

There will be some who read this and find that it doesnā€™t resonate and thatā€™s ok, weā€™re not all the same, but there will be a few out there who feel seen for the first time, a lightbulb comes on and everything starts to make sense, and if thatā€™s you, I want you to know that there is so much help and support out there, so many tools and methods to help you accept who you are and understand why your brain doesnā€™t dance to the beat of the same drum. Whatā€™s happening to you is not your fault, you cannot control something you didnā€™t see, but there are lots of ways to help yourself beyond the usual demands of weight loss fads ā¤

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Hey everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ»

Soā€¦.. obviously Iā€™m here because I struggle to have a healthy relationship with food. But, I wanted to tell you all about why, as some of you may have spent your entire lives beating yourselves up and feeling guilty about something that was never in your control.

Imagine going to a weight loss club, at first you feel excited and motivated, you learn to count whatever it is they count, you follow the social media accounts, you get a buzz from expertly pulling off a recipe, you go to the weigh ins and the first few go really well, nice big numbers coming off each week, and then one week, it plateaus, suddenly that buzz wears off, youā€™re frustrated that each week thereā€™s barely any movement on the scales, the more you try the worse it gets, you start to dread the weigh ins and starve yourself on those days, take your shoes off, your cardigan off even your jewellery in the hope it makes a difference on the scales, and the more you tell yourself to stay on track the harder it is, you start to skip weigh ins because you donā€™t need the judgement, and before you know it youā€™ve sacked it off, lost your mojo, this weight loss method didnā€™t work, just like the rest.

I have ADHD and I am pathologically demand avoidant. Some may wonder why this matters, ā€œIā€™m not hyper this wonā€™t apply to meā€ - well Iā€™m not hyperactive either -it is so much more complex (and common) than the stereotype led us all to believe! Iā€™m clumsy, terrible balance, always knocking into the corners of furnitureā€¦ I interrupt people when theyā€™re speaking, if I wait until they finish I forgot what my point wasā€¦ my two modes are obsessed or avoidant, I either spend 2 days solid staring at Pinterest making plans, or put off a simple chore for two weeksā€¦ I find myself trapped on the sofa or in my car a lot, zoned out scrolling, I get annoyed with myself because I have things to do and Iā€™m very aware Iā€™m being lazy but the more I push myself mentally to get up the harder I fight backā€¦ every piece of homework in school was left to the very last minute, every exam crammed for the night before, my time keeping has always been terrible but I thrive under pressure, give me multiple tasks and imminent deadlines and I will shine! And, most importantly, every single time I tell myself that I have to diet, that iā€™m going to be healthy, within days I slip, obsessing over junk cravings and finding ways to sneak snacks or a high calorie lunch, telling myself itā€™s a one off, ā€œget it out of my systemā€ā€¦ only itā€™s never just the once.

So, if any of that feels familiar to you, you could well be struggling with a form of neurodivergence. Iā€™ve never been hyperactive, I was generally a good (if always late) student, I needed no help in school and until recently had never considered there to be an issue, yet here I am, fully diagnosed and mind blown at why I struggle so much with this area of life. ADHD is basically short-hand for ā€œdopamine seekerā€ we need it at a much faster rate than a typical brain, so we seek out anything that gives us a rush; gambling, drugs, sexā€¦. Itā€™s no surprise that the most easily accessible addictive substance, food, becomes a problem. Add in the common complication of demand avoidance and itā€™s a recipe for disaster!

There will be some who read this and find that it doesnā€™t resonate and thatā€™s ok, weā€™re not all the same, but there will be a few out there who feel seen for the first time, a lightbulb comes on and everything starts to make sense, and if thatā€™s you, I want you to know that there is so much help and support out there, so many tools and methods to help you accept who you are and understand why your brain doesnā€™t dance to the beat of the same drum. Whatā€™s happening to you is not your fault, you cannot control something you didnā€™t see, but there are lots of ways to help yourself beyond the usual demands of weight loss fads ā¤

Omg thank you, I can relate to every line in this!

There are boys in my family diagnosed with ADHD but no females, yet Iā€™d say your post would resonate with my daughters too.

• Heart
Hey everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ»

Bloody hell, I clicked on this thread as I was thinking that I definitely have an unhealthy relationship with food (no official diagnosis). Your post has absolutely described me to a T.

I tried to get an ADHD diagnosis four years ago but the assessing psychiatrist said it was unlikely I had it due to being educated to post-grad level. Since then I've toyed with self medicating that aspect by taking vitamins, gamifiying water intake ABC exercise as much as I can etc. But food is where I massively fall down. I joke to my friends about not having chocolate in the house due to lack of self-discipline. But it's not a joke, if you know what I mean?

Can I ask you to share some of the resources that helped you heal your relationship with food?

Reactions: 3
Hey everyone šŸ‘‹šŸ»

Thank you for posting this ā¤ I was diagnosed with ADHD as a young kid and I guess I havenā€™t changed much since then ā€” I am indeed hyperactive, a huge procrastinator and have a history of panic attacks, depression, EDs, obsessive behaviour and so on. Self-sabotaging is my middle name and your post made me feel seen and understood. It would be great if you could share some tools or tips that you find helpful, Iā€™m sure there are many people out there who struggle with something similar x

I don't know what it is with food that makes me struggle the way I do, because I can tell myself no, I know I have that power to say no to the junk

But my problem is I either go through those no stages an eat once or maybe twice a day, or go through a stage where am eating everything in site plus can only think of what to eat next, I just cannot seem to get a healthy balance where am eating proper meals during the day an occasional having the odd treat

It's either bascially not eat or eat everything, but it's not driven by weight either, I don't think to myself I shouldn't eat because of weight nor think I should eat everything because I couldn't care about weight

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I don't know what it is with food that makes me struggle the way I do, because I can tell myself no, I know I have that power to say no to the junk

But my problem is I either go through those no stages an eat once or maybe twice a day, or go through a stage where am eating everything in site plus can only think of what to eat next, I just cannot seem to get a healthy balance where am eating proper meals during the day an occasional having the odd treat

It's either bascially not eat or eat everything, but it's not driven by weight either, I don't think to myself I shouldn't eat because of weight nor think I should eat everything because I couldn't care about weight
It sounds like youā€™re in a deprivation cycle, think about your genetics for a moment, your ancestors didnā€™t have supermarkets, theyā€™d survive on whatever they could hunt or forage, so days of starvation and hunger and when they catch something theyā€™d gorge themselvesā€¦. Itā€™s no different for you, even though youā€™re not interested in food, your biology assumes youā€™ve entered a lean stage of hunter gathering, and once your appetite is back it will go to town! Youā€™d be best to look into blood sugar balancing, as unknowingly youā€™ll be causing yourself huge swings up and down which will cause you problems later on