Elle Florence #17 Unplanned pregnancymas: A #girlboss guide to creating a life you want to hide

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wonder if she'll gift her new in-laws rodent Christmas ornaments?
Or her disgusting dried flower art from her wedding bouquet that she is already planning on gifting to mama G ! What about gifting little jars of her placenta too? Just as creepy and stupid. She is so stingy and cheap with others.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I did see the one where he was running into the restaurant at a swift clip...
That whole Nashville video is so cringe-inducing. You could tell Elle was embarrassed by Rick in his XXL shirt and safari hat. She was in her element with their fancy hotel suite and nice restaurants. Now her vacations are Redneck Riviera fishing trips and renting a home. Don't think they have many farm to table places in Destin! How the mighty have fallen.

• Heart
That whole Nashville video is so cringe-inducing. You could tell Elle was embarrassed by Rick in his XXL shirt and safari hat. She was in her element with their fancy hotel suite and nice restaurants. Now her vacations are Redneck Riviera fishing trips and renting a home. Don't think they have many farm to table places in Destin! How the mighty have fallen.
The thing is unless you inherit tons of money, you have to work (and work hard) to maintain your (upper middle class) lifestyle. Inflation is through the roof and you're not really rich unless you have net assets minimum $5 million (with that you can be comfortable and not work). If Elle or Ginette had that, Elle would have had a downpayment in Vancouver or in Seattle. But she doesn't. Neither does Elle buy fancy jewelry just silver from Tiffany's (which are nice but not luxurious per se).

This family is going down fast. I don't know how long Ginette's money will last.

If Elle were a real heiress, men would have clamoured to marry her but she's not. People can see right through - that she's well to do but not rich but if she's not bringing anything in, then nobody would take her on.

• Heart
This family is going down fast. I don't know how long Ginette's money will last.
Considering how Elle was living for the last few years, she probably drained those accounts faster than either of them realized. She was unemployed and yet was living in that townhome and bought a brand new SUV. Plus shopping we didn't see, like that one preloved Chanel bag. Didn't someone find her Seattle Airbnb and it was like $4,000 a month or something? Insanity.

Reactions: 7
Considering how Elle was living for the last few years, she probably drained those accounts faster than either of them realized. She was unemployed and yet was living in that townhome and bought a brand new SUV. Plus shopping we didn't see, like that one preloved Chanel bag. Didn't someone find her Seattle Airbnb and it was like $4,000 a month or something? Insanity.
Unless you are among the ultra-wealthy, you can either look rich or BE rich. Elle burned through the $ as fast as she got it ( she's probably been getting some kind of monthly stipend or dividend payout on a trust fund from the guy who impregnated Ginette ) to keep up an ILLUSION of being upper-crust. The money vanishes as soon as she gets her hands on any, and instead of having real wealth, she has a pile of cashmere, some ostentatious handbags, and a pink plastic kayak.

• Haha
  • Heart
Unless you are among the ultra-wealthy, you can either look rich or BE rich. Elle burned through the $ as fast as she got it ( she's probably been getting some kind of monthly stipend or dividend payout on a trust fund from the guy who impregnated Ginette ) to keep up an ILLUSION of being upper-crust. The money vanishes as soon as she gets her hands on any, and instead of having real wealth, she has a pile of cashmere, some ostentatious handbags, and a pink plastic kayak.
Elle has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in the years she's been on YouTube on frivolous things: rents, handbags, shopping, moving around, furniture, tuition fees for a university degree she doesn't use, etc... If all this money had been spent on say, a place in Vancouver and even if she were working in Costco, she would be in a better place. At least the home would appreciate, and she can cover her living expenses.

Reactions: 9
That’s a good point. If she were as rich as she wants us to believe, some man would have tried to marry her for the $.

Reactions: 2
Money that Ginette either received from Elle's father as a settlement, or inherited from her mother, or both would have been long, long gone by now. I suspect that's why Ginette sold her Vancouver house - the fund that had sustained her and Elle for decades must have been running dangerously low, thanks in no small part to Elle's spending habits. Since then, no doubt, both of them have been living off $2,000,000 or so that Ginette sold her house for. She probably counted on much of that money to sustain her through her old age, but considering what a fortune she was compelled to spend on bailing Elle out of that FL disaster, covering her daughter's rent for years in one of the most expensive cities in North America, buying her a brand new car (the princess wouldn't have considered a used one), numerous moves, new furniture (despite having tons of it in storages - has to be plural), clothes (again, despite having tons of it in storages), hair frying in her blonde adventure, late-night impulse purchases (like that ridiculous pink kayak - forgot about it), and numerous other expenses, whether necessary or frivolous, and now mountains of granddaughter-related expenses (starting with paying full price for a baby carriage because the princess didn't like the color of the one available on sale) - Ginette might not have funds left to move into an assisted living facility, should she need to at some point down the line. (Hope I'm wrong, for Ginette's sake.)

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Money that Ginette either received from Elle's father as a settlement, or inherited from her mother, or both would have been long, long gone by now. I suspect that's why Ginette sold her Vancouver house - the fund that had sustained her and Elle for decades must have been running dangerously low, thanks in no small part to Elle's spending habits. Since then, no doubt, both of them have been living off $2,000,000 or so that Ginette sold her house for. She probably counted on much of that money to sustain her through her old age, but considering what a fortune she was compelled to spend on bailing Elle out of that FL disaster, covering her daughter's rent for years in one of the most expensive cities in North America, buying her a brand new car (the princess wouldn't have considered a used one), numerous moves, new furniture (despite having tons of it in storages - has to be plural), clothes (again, despite having tons of it in storages), hair frying in her blonde adventure, late-night impulse purchases (like that ridiculous pink kayak - forgot about it), and numerous other expenses, whether necessary or frivolous, and now mountains of granddaughter-related expenses (starting with paying full price for a baby carriage because the princess didn't like the color of the one available on sale) - Ginette might not have funds left to move into an assisted living facility, should she need to at some point down the line. (Hope I'm wrong, for Ginette's sake.)
The problem is that due to inflation, money is not what is seems. 30 years ago, $1 million dollars was a lot of money and was probably enough to sustain you forever. You were considered very rich if you could buy a $500,000 house. But now, $1 million dollars doesn't even buy you a decent house in Vancouver, $2 million buys a tear down in Toronto.

Whatever money Ginette got wasn't going to last her lifestyle and Elle's lifetime in the style they would like. If Ginette had been wise, she would have say bought a house near UBC, rented out the rooms, did a 9-5 job. Even $30,000-$50,000 goes a long way to cover living expenses such as food. Instead, she got a Victoria haunted house that couldn't sell, didn't work to even cover her living expenses, etc...

I would love to be financially independent and only work for fun or work to cover basic living costs. It would take the stress off daily life. But Ginette and Elle threw everything away, all the advantages they had. I would hate to see Elle's life in 20 or 30 years or her daughters. Poverty isn't fun, especially when you were used to money.

Elle's lifestyle/spending dramatically increased after the sale of the Victoria house, so I assume that Ginette gave her money from that...a kind of pre-inheritance. Before that, Elle's purchases were not super high-end and, although she'd clearly had a comfortable life with lots of educational opportunities etc., she was not living vastly beyond her means.

The extreme spending had to be the result of her coming into a substantial amount of money and that tracks with the house sale. Maybe Ginette hoped that Elle would use the cash for a downpayment or invest it in some way, but Elle clearly had other ideas. She also probably thought her YouTube channel would take off (which was not a totally unrealistic prospect when she started it – lots of YouTubers who started around the same time are still going and have done extremely well).

Unfortunately for Elle, her channel stalled after the Joe era, which would also have had an impact on her 'businesses', plus the series of incredibly stupid decisions she made post-Joe must have cost thousands. She was obviously still clinging on to the hope of marrying well, but now that she's well into her 30s with not much to show for her life so far, I guess she's decided to do the best she can with what she's got.

Reactions: 8
Ginette and Elle are both lazy, entitled women who have zero financial knowledge. From the laying down of towels on beach chairs at the crack of dawn to spending tens of thousands of dollars hauling ugly old furniture across the continent, they both seem a dit dim with both money and social etiquette.

Part of me thinks Elle's behaviour (not working, being a Karen, having an 'oopsie' baby) is based on what she's seen from Ginette. Ginette did once have a British partner, who Elle called her stepdad. Maybe Ginette was a kept woman for a while and Elle wants to recreate that for herself 🤑🤑🤑.

I'm curious why Elle hasn't shown more baby items. Surely Ginette has purchased lots of big-ticket items for her grandchild. Elle basically sold her soul by resorting to a baby trap and now she's going to spend the rest of her life 'paying up.' She is so deeply selfish I think it will rock her world to have to spend every second caring for an infant. Even if Ginette moves in, it's still going to be hard...and so different from the life she envisioned.

We also see Elles spending increase dramatically after her God father passed away. She mentions him in one of her Vlogmas videos wrapping presents and explaining about her father and how she was lucky to have this mysterious man in her life that was a father to her. I don’t know what the situation with him could possibly be but I feel like there was probably money passed to Elle when he passed. I think baby daddy set Ginette up so she could buy a house, send Elle to private school, and quit working but God father increased the spending limit. That’s why early days of YouTube were outlets mall.

Reactions: 6
I can't remember what the platform was now, but the very first Elle Florence gossip forum I ever came across pointed out her crazy spending in the early days after she got her pretend lawyer job at MFDA.

I remember she had multiple Burberry trenches, some decently expensive bags, and was already hauling clothes at a rate most new grads couldn't.
Gossipers were already speculating about a cash infusion from her mom as far back as 2014!

I can't remember what the platform was now, but the very first Elle Florence gossip forum I ever came across pointed out her crazy spending in the early days after she got her pretend lawyer job at MFDA.

I remember she had multiple Burberry trenches, some decently expensive bags, and was already hauling clothes at a rate most new grads couldn't.
Gossipers were already speculating about a cash infusion from her mom as far back as 2014!
The problem with Elle and Ginette is that their expectations of their life is beyond their work ethic. There is nothing wrong per se with Elle buying stuff after graduation but she never learned from her mistakes, has no growth. After a while, things are just things. Also, after Ginette sold her house, she stayed in Vancouver, which probably has the highest Cost of Living in Canada. $2 million won't get you far in Vancouver.

If Ginette had moved to a smaller city, bought a $300,000 house (which would be very nice in a smaller city), she would have had enough money for Elle and herself, provided Elle actually got a real job.

Ginette thinks she's some kind of kept woman but no man with real cash or taste would get in 10 feet of being romantic with her.

• Haha
The only thing I can think to add is that Elle’s godfather/uncle that she talks about sometimes left her a pot of $.

We have to remember too that she was in the same job for like seven years. Her pay wasn't going up 10% year over year but her spending skyrocketed.

Only logical conclusion is cash from mom + possible 'godfather' money + boyfriends paying majority of expenses = shopaholic, no-savings, label-obsessed Elle.

Reactions: 8
Ginette thinks she's some kind of kept woman but no man with real cash or taste would get in 10 feet of being romantic with her.
Right. I really don't see how any guy with serious money would have been interested in Ginette. Mentally, she appears to be a vapid, giggling airhead, and on the physical level she is no trophy mistress, for sure. It must have been some act of desperation/ drunkenness.

Reactions: 4
Right. I really don't see how any guy with serious money would have been interested in Ginette. Mentally, she appears to be a vapid, giggling airhead, and on the physical level she is no trophy mistress, for sure. It must have been some act of desperation/ drunkenness.
I think we've been way overestimating the amount Ginette got from Elle's father. She probably got some settlement from him (possibly that Hawaii leasehold that he might have regretted buying anyway since it's not a valuable investment) but Ginette and her mother probably brought a significant sum with them from Belgium (possibly family savings plus proceeds from sale of some property). Besides, didn't somebody mention that Ginette's mother founded and ran some business when they moved to the New World? Maybe it was successful and she was able to save some money that Ginette inherited. Ginette and her mother probably bought the house - the one Ginette sold recently - at a reasonable price soon after they came from Belgium. Remember, Ginette never came across as a big spender, and Elle didn't become one until Chris and Joe started covering her living expenses, letting her waste her salary on junk, plus she was selling a lot of crafts and scarves. It's conceivable that Ginette's mother's money, plus what they later inherited from Elle's godfather (was he Ginette's relative?) could have lasted until Ginette sold her house.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I thought Elle said in a video that Ginette's mother owned a successful cosmetics shop in Europe. Perhaps Ginette got the bulk of her money from that inheritance? So, they burn through the inheritance from the family business. Then they spend the money given by the godfather. Then they live off profits from the sale of the old family house. What happens when THAT money is gone? Neither one of them is bringing in an income. I guess that's where Mr. Fishman and the shotgun wedding come in.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.