Electric Toothbrushes - Any suggestions?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m looking for a new one. Currently have a cheap Sonicare, bought in a Tesco sale for less than £20. Been looking at the Oral B Pro 2000 one for £29.99 which seems a very good price. I do not want to spend a lot of money. Battery life is important. Any suggestions?

Yel

I got a really cheap Sonicare one free with a magazine, it was terrible.

The higher priced ones are decent for both brands and often half price, most dentists seem to recommend oral b as it removes more plaque though they often say they use a manual themselves :rolleyes:.

I seem to switch between the two brands once the battery life becomes bad. That one is probably great, the higher ones come with silly gadgets that are a waste of time. Just make sure it has a quadrant timer.

I got a really cheap Sonicare one free with a magazine, it was terrible.

The higher priced ones are decent for both brands and often half price, most dentists seem to recommend oral b as it removes more plaque though they often say they use a manual themselves :rolleyes:.

I seem to switch between the two brands once the battery life becomes bad. That one is probably great, the higher ones come with silly gadgets that are a waste of time. Just make sure it has a quadrant timer.
I dentist I used to have originally recommended a Sonicare one. This was about 15 years ago, but I’m now keen to try an Oral B one. There is also an Oral B 2500 on Amazon for £30. Yes to the quadrant timer!

Last edited:
I have the Oral-B Pro 2 2500 3D one and it's great. Only had it a week and can notice the difference already.

Yel

This might help. Seems that you do get what you pay for.. but has anyone ever paid full price for an electric toothbrush? :ROFLMAO:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recommended/tech/best-electric-toothbrushes/
I once paid full price for an air flosser, those bloody things last about a year then just stop working. Now i'm using a lidi one that was £30.

But good dental work is so expensive and I can't floss as that keeps pulling out fillings in between teeth

Wow at some of the toothbrushes with a 300 rrp that are on "sale" for 90. I don't want a toothbrush that I have to download an app for and sync up

I'd get this one for £30 - pressure sensor and quadrant timer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-CrossAction-Electric-Toothbrush-Rechargeable/dp/B00PIRQEBO/

Reactions: 1
I love my sonicare. I bought a mid range one years ago with a few features on it and the battery charge dropped off after about 5yrs. I replaced it with a bargain Oral B equivalent and it just felt like it was crudely clanking around my mouth like the kids battery ones. I replaced that one after a couple of months and went back to a sonicare, much smoother motion and felt better in my mouth and my teeth felt cleaner. I just replaced it with a basic model (it has one mode and does do the quadrant timer) and it’s great.
Does the job, does it comfortably and thoroughly.

Reactions: 2
I once paid full price for an air flosser, those bloody things last about a year then just stop working. Now i'm using a lidi one that was £30.

But good dental work is so expensive and I can't floss as that keeps pulling out fillings in between teeth

Wow at some of the toothbrushes with a 300 rrp that are on "sale" for 90. I don't want a toothbrush that I have to download an app for and sync up

I'd get this one for £30 - pressure sensor and quadrant timer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-CrossAction-Electric-Toothbrush-Rechargeable/dp/B00PIRQEBO/
That is one of the ones I was looking at. Ocado has a *special* offer on the Oral B 2000 for today, for £29.99 but I don’t think it’s any better than the 2500.

I love my sonicare. I bought a mid range one years ago with a few features on it and the battery charge dropped off after about 5yrs. I replaced it with a bargain Oral B equivalent and it just felt like it was crudely clanking around my mouth like the kids battery ones. I replaced that one after a couple of months and went back to a sonicare, much smoother motion and felt better in my mouth and my teeth felt cleaner. I just replaced it with a basic model (it has one mode and does do the quadrant timer) and it’s great.
Does the job, does it comfortably and thoroughly.
Which Oral B one? The brush shape on the Oral B is so different and so I thought it might get into more spaces.

I've got an Oral B one I got from Superdrug (on sale lol) never had any problems
From reading Amazon reviews, a big problem with Oral Bs seemed to be holding a battery charge but they seemed to have ironed that out by using lithium batteries. Never had a problem with battery charge on a Sonicare.

My parents used to have a water pik in their bathroom that I loved using (electrical points allowed in US bathrooms) so have been thinking about getting one. Never heard of or used an air flosser.

Last edited:
I have an oral b and got it on sale for about £25 4 years ago. Still going strong! Has a buzz timer on it and I worked out it does exactly a weeks worth on one charge if you do the two mins. I do longer and can still get nearly a week from it

Yel

My parents used to have a water pik in their bathroom that I loved using (electrical points allowed in US bathrooms) so have been thinking about getting one. Never heard of or used an air flosser.
I think air flosser / water pik are all the same thing but different brands. They're good and better than tepe's (those rubber ones I'm sure are designed to only last a few uses before they start depositing plastic in your mouth). But I'm on my 5th one, I think they're super susceptible to break unlike electric toothbrushes

I hope a dentist turns up on this thread soon :D

I think air flosser / water pik are all the same thing but different brands. They're good and better than tepe's (those rubber ones I'm sure are designed to only last a few uses before they start depositing plastic in your mouth). But I'm on my 5th one, I think they're super susceptible to break unlike electric toothbrushes

I hope a dentist turns up on this thread soon :D
There is a dentist Instamum @comedowntothewoods. I used to follow her but had to stop. Way too many artfully draped chunky blankets.

Reactions: 3
I've used the cheap Oral B one for years. I've had to replace a few as the battery life is not great. It ends up that you have to keep them on permanent charge. I pay about £20-£25. I don't like the cross action heads, so i just replace with the normal ones.

That is one of the ones I was looking at. Ocado has a *special* offer on the Oral B 2000 for today, for £29.99 but I don’t think it’s any better than the 2500.

Which Oral B one? The brush shape on the Oral B is so different and so I thought it might get into more spaces.
i can’t recall the model, sorry. It was so long ago, it’s probably been discontinued. It was about £40, “half price” on a supermarket offer but I get the impression that they are DFS sofas in that respect 🙄. It had a little round head but I think all OralB ones do. I just really disliked the feel of it in my mouth.

My sister is a dental nurse and always says just buy the cheapest one in the brand you prefer (for me Oral B) and then you can just buy the fancy heads for the brand you’ve got 🤷🏼‍♀️ The heads are what they sell the more pricey models on nine times out of ten, but they are a universal fit :)

My sister is a dental nurse and always says just buy the cheapest one in the brand you prefer (for me Oral B) and then you can just buy the fancy heads for the brand you’ve got 🤷🏼‍♀️ The heads are what they sell the more pricey models on nine times out of ten, but they are a universal fit :)
Thanks to you and your sister for that useful piece of advice!

The last time I saw my dentist, I asked her whether getting a name-brand electric toothbrush mattered, or if I should just stick with my cheap one. She said the cheap one should be just as good.

With that, I would definitely recommend my £20 Fairywill (Amazon) that I've had for two years+. Its battery life is amazing, and best of all, it charges via USB! So when I've gone on long, multi-month trips I can just take a little cable and use my normal USB plug to charge it anywhere. Don't need to find a special bathroom socket of the right type of whatever. I've converted many friends and family to the same one.

Reactions: 2