Dr Alex George

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Latest interview... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-gave-backing-Love-Island-stars-new-book.html

Not sure how I feel about him promoting his book by saying his brother was excited for it - true or not it just comes across as using that death to further promote the book. But I can see he must be asked about his brother constantly and there is no perfect answer and maybe for Alex, using his brother's death to promote a book about MH seems like a worthy use. I'll reserve my comments until I actually see the book but don't have high hopes because he's not a MH professional and MH advocates groups have felt he is out of touch with the reality of the MH issues and MH provisions in this country.
I agree. He’s not a mental health professional and the idea that “getting out for a stomp” can solve all issues is a bit simplistic and generalising. Yes I agree getting outside if you are feeling a bit fed up can work wonders but if you haven’t got up or washed in a week it can seem insurmountable. I think he’s trying to do good bless him and any awareness he raises is only a good thing, but I could think of better people as mental health ambassador. I don’t actually dislike hi

Reactions: 8
Mental health is where the money is at moment it seems. Yes more needs to be done about it and more help and services provided. But every influencer and their dog are using it to shill whatever is the next thing making them money and it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth

His bath bomb company. With each bath bomb money goes to charity. Great. But how much money, it’s a business for him and doesn’t actually say how much, is it on profit, on sales? Just feels like that’s been added on as an after thought as a selling point in a market flooded with bath bombs

Reactions: 10
I agree. He’s not a mental health professional and the idea that “getting out for a stomp” can solve all issues is a bit simplistic and generalising. Yes I agree getting outside if you are feeling a bit fed up can work wonders but if you haven’t got up or washed in a week it can seem insurmountable. I think he’s trying to do good bless him and any awareness he raises is only a good thing, but I could think of better people as mental health ambassador. I don’t actually dislike hi
I work in mental health, I'm a psychologist and you're bang on the money. Alex doesn't seem to understand the politics affecting MH services at the moment. If your mental health is bad but getting out for a stomp will help you - guess what, most services are geared up and funded enough to offer you therapy as you're considered someone with short-term mental health issues. This is what we have the biggest funding in the UK for.
If you're someone in more distress, as you said - not even washed or had self care motivation, and have longer term problems, MH services are scarce and quick to offer advice like 'go for a walk, make a cup of tea' which patients who've struggled with depression or severe disorders for years find insulting and just want real help which is more intensive and longer term psychotherapeutic input.

Mental health is where the money is at moment it seems.
Yup you're right but only for influencers and big brands who want to put up billboards with a catchy slogan. Not for us NHS psychologists or our patients. Can you imagine how infuriating it is for our patients to see someone like Alex, a med doctor with very little MH training or knowledge of the MH system on national Tv saying things like just go for a walk etc. I know he's been more nuanced then that but it's still ignorant at best and offensive at worst.

BTW I quoted 2 people here and have had a bit of a rant but want to apologise if it seems like I'm ranting at either of you - I'm not! I'm just fatigued from supporting seriously mentally ill people during this pandemic who can't get the help they need whilst being bombarded with well meaning hashtags that cater more for common depression/anxiety symptoms, not severe illness - and Alex is again catering to that overcrowded market.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I work in mental health, I'm a psychologist and you're bang on the money. Alex doesn't seem to understand the politics affecting MH services at the moment. If your mental health is bad but getting out for a stomp will help you - guess what, most services are geared up and funded enough to offer you therapy as you're considered someone with short-term mental health issues. This is what we have the biggest funding in the UK for.
If you're someone in more distress, as you said - not even washed or had self care motivation, and have longer term problems, MH services are scarce and quick to offer advice like 'go for a walk, make a cup of tea' which patients who've struggled with depression or severe disorders for years find insulting and just want real help which is more intensive and longer term psychotherapeutic input.

Yup you're right but only for influencers and big brands who want to put up billboards with a catchy slogan. Not for us NHS psychologists or our patients. Can you imagine how infuriating it is for our patients to see someone like Alex, a med doctor with very little MH training or knowledge of the MH system on national Tv saying things like just go for a walk etc. I know he's been more nuanced then that but it's still ignorant at best and offensive at worst.

BTW I quoted 2 people here and have had a bit of a rant but want to apologise if it seems like I'm ranting at either of you - I'm not! I'm just fatigued from supporting seriously mentally ill people during this pandemic who can't get the help they need whilst being bombarded with well meaning hashtags that cater more for common depression/anxiety symptoms, not severe illness - and Alex is again catering to that overcrowded market.
I didn’t take it that you were ranting at anyone - just burnt out from trying to do your job with scarce resources. I think it’s gotten dangerous having all mental health under one umbrella. We all have bad times, that’s life, but like you say if it can be made better by a stomp then you are probably not needing much input. My brother took his own life after battling schizophrenia for years and getting little to no support. It’s something that’s very close to my heart. ❤❤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

I didn’t take it as a rant either.

I perhaps worded it badly when I said money in mental health. I meant influencers using it to grow platforms (im sure a lot are genuine, but a lot feel like they are getting on the latest thing to raise their own following)

Thanks for all the hard work you and others do

Reactions: 6
yeah I agree, I think the issue with this is all he knows is anecdotal evidence, when in reality things are different for everyone. He should have written it in colab with an expert imo

Reactions: 4
At what point can you walk off a mental illness. duck off alex it’s a disgrace

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Well he's got another TV role now, itv mental health ambassador. playing the long game is working out for him.

"Just talk to someone."

Very good, who though? People are put on waiting lists for months, and not all friends and family members want someone offloading onto them, people have their own shizz they're dealing with.

This guy wants to be the next micheal mosley.

Reactions: 11
Well he's got another TV role now, itv mental health ambassador. playing the long game is working out for him.

"Just talk to someone."

Very good, who though? People are put on waiting lists for months, and not all friends and family members want someone offloading onto them, people have their own shizz they're dealing with.

He’s started giving me the ick. That noise he makes when throwing pebbles or his bath bombs 🤢

Reactions: 7

"Just talk to someone."

I do think his heart is in the right place but he is all about self promotion these days and seems to have lost what made him a bit different along the way.
The stomping and “talk to someone” approach to mental health leaves me a bit cold. If that’s all it takes you are probably a bit low and down. I don’t think I agree with every human emotion being put under the “mental health” umbrella

he was a strange character on love island. He got a lot of stick from the itv producers & viewers for wasting everyones time with his awful dating skills & shocking antics trying to hook up with the surfer girl Laura while coupled up with that girl Alexandra. his lack of empathy and no concern for His partners mental & emotional well-being was disturbing to watch.

My mate who works in a bar in London (No 32 the old town) tells me they received a complaint late last year that Dr Alex was regularly using the premises to hook up with young, early 20 year olds, love island fans. As revealed by the sun he is currently dating a new girl Ellie Hect, love island fan who he met at no 32
He was also pictured by the daily mail last year kissing an other girl out side no 32.
he also met his ex Amelia bath at no 32 she bumped into him an instantly recognise him from love island.

I find it rather creepy for a celebrity to be dating fans 😷 🤮

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 5
he was a strange character on love island. He got a lot of stick from the itv producers & viewers for wasting everyones time with his awful dating skills & shocking antics trying to hook up with the surfer girl Laura while coupled up with that girl Alexandra. his lack of empathy and no concern for His partners mental & emotional well-being was disturbing to watch.

My mate who works in a bar in London (No 32 the old town) tells me they received a complaint late last year that Dr Alex was regularly using the premises to hook up with young, early 20 year olds, love island fans. As revealed by the sun he is currently dating a new girl Ellie Hect, love island fan who he met at no 32
He was also pictured by the daily mail last year kissing an other girl out side no 32.
he also met his ex Amelia bath at no 32 she bumped into him an instantly recognise him from love island.

Wow this is mad

Reactions: 1

Something about him makes my skin crawl. I think it’s the desperate thing to try and be cool but it just gives me the cringe. I think he’s dull as well and would be the type of guy who just tells you how great he is constantly

Reactions: 5
I’m a bit underwhelmed with his role as ambassador so far. Yes he’s going around speaking to people and raising awareness and money to charity but where is the actual proposed changes/ getting to the nitty gritty of it. Telling people with MH issues to go get stomps and have a bath is echoing the problems that are already there. The amount of people who are suicidal that call services/ use the youth services that are told “have a cup of tea and a bath” as a solution to their problems or as help is staggering. People who self harm are given a sheet of things to do like the “have a bath” advice and sit tight and wait for a year to have a short stint in CBT which probably doesn’t even scratch the surface of what they’re going through.

It makes me wonder if he’s just a government puppet rather than an actual ambassador. Not only this but I doubt he’s had time to fully process what happened with his brother- there’s many stages of grief and no time scale on when you come to terms with something like that. But whilst he knows what it’s like to lose someone to suicide, I doubt he’s at a point where he actually understands the complexities around what it actually feels like to be suicidal. Knowing someone with MH problems is very different to experiencing it yourself and trying to access services.

Reactions: 13
I’m a bit underwhelmed with his role as ambassador so far. Yes he’s going around speaking to people and raising awareness and money to charity but where is the actual proposed changes/ getting to the nitty gritty of it. Telling people with MH issues to go get stomps and have a bath is echoing the problems that are already there. The amount of people who are suicidal that call services/ use the youth services that are told “have a cup of tea and a bath” as a solution to their problems or as help is staggering. People who self harm are given a sheet of things to do like the “have a bath” advice and sit tight and wait for a year to have a short stint in CBT which probably doesn’t even scratch the surface of what they’re going through.

It makes me wonder if he’s just a government puppet rather than an actual ambassador. Not only this but I doubt he’s had time to fully process what happened with his brother- there’s many stages of grief and no time scale on when you come to terms with something like that. But whilst he knows what it’s like to lose someone to suicide, I doubt he’s at a point where he actually understands the complexities around what it actually feels like to be suicidal. Knowing someone with MH problems is very different to experiencing it yourself and trying to access services.
Amen to all of this - and I work in providing therapy in the NHS so I can confidently say you're bang on the money about self-care advice not being enough for MH issues and how disappointed/let down people feel when that's all they get. The key issue is: we need crisis services to be funded better and we need intensive therapies to be funded better. People wait 6-8 months to get regular appointments with me to actually do the intensive work. If they're in crisis whilst they are waiting, they call these crisis services and as you rightly said, they get the self-care sheet to deescalate risks to themselves which most find don't help.
We don't need more self-help guru style advice, we need someone to tell the gov all of the above lol.

Last edited: