Dolly Alderton/Pandora Sykes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to love the podcast but I’ve started to Peter out my listening. It’s just become a bit self indulgent. I’ve been feeling the same way about tables manners, I’ve all but stopped listening.
This pandemic (panny d 🙄) has really highlighted how far removed they are from me.
Yeah I feel the same about them being far removed from me. The fact that their lives are completely different in terms of priviliege is obviously fine, I don't have an issue with that, no reason to. But it's the living that life while acting like they're normal women and just one of us that irritates me.

Those tweets have reminded me that Pandora spoke about issues after her first pregnancy on a podcast. It was sad to listen to and of course her wealth doesn't make her immune to problems like that. Though she would have much easier access to support than a lot of women. I think it was either Elizabeth Day's or Emma Gannon (I do love Emma. She did a post on her insta a while ago saying she buys her own stuff from independent brands if she likes it rather than gifts as she wants to support small businesses).

I think this is them reacting to the poor reaction their article in The Telegraph got (again, they like to label themselves liberal so WHY even give The Telegraph your time of day?) on how their "poshness" was being "weaponized". If you have to use the word "posh" to describe yourself that many times, something tells me you're not posh.

Reactions: 1
I think this is them reacting to the poor reaction their article in The Telegraph got (again, they like to label themselves liberal so WHY even give The Telegraph your time of day?) on how their "poshness" was being "weaponized". If you have to use the word "posh" to describe yourself that many times, something tells me you're not posh.

I know this is extremely petty of me but I hate those shrimps(pretty sure that’s what they are) coats they have on in that pic with a passion.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It wouldn’t surprise me if it was related to here. I found it disingenuous and a bit woe is me. Of course all the usual suspects chimed in. India Knight must be chomping at the bit to send Eric round a few more houses. Just waiting for their pal Spendy Hughes to chime in with a few choice expletives and a story of her own woe.
This was bound to happen as it appears all columnists/writers/social commentators who earn their above average salaries on, well, commenting and sharing their opinion on others can’t take it when others do the same to them.

Panda would do well to adopt a thicker skin and a Kate Moss “never complain-never explain approach to public commentary about her.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I used to listen to their podcast but realised that firstly, I could hardly tell them apart unless Dolly said ‘Pandy’ and then I’d know for the next few sentences. They also spend so much time talking about multiple books and articles and programmes that I just (my fault) felt thick and lazy take not being able to keep up. Lastly, I think I’m just too old for Dolly - I’m 42 and often don’t feel old but she reminds me of what I was doing in my early 20’s and I just can’t be bothered with it. Too much hysteria over men that aren’t worth it.

Reactions: 7
I know people who worked with Dolly on made in Chelsea and asked what she was like and there was a pause and looks and ‘Dolly only is interested in herself’ apparently she wouldn’t talk to anyone lower than her in the team only the people who could get her ahead. I’ve followed her on twitter since before she got the MIC job and she really worked hard @‘ing everyone in the business Caitlin Moran etc so it’s strange now to see her among them all. It annoys me that every millennial woman’s book coming out in the last two years has a quote from her on the front saying ‘urgent’ ‘beautiful’ ‘breathtaking’ ‘so important right now’

Why didn’t they mention MOD when all the trolling drama happened?? That really made me doubt their integrity, like they are fakes who can be bought. I know it’s because they shared the same agent but it makes everything seem so false just one big jerk circle of middle class white women on all these podcasts. Don’t get me started on Emma Gannon I don’t know how she has got as far as she has. I think all this shows is you don’t need talent you just have to doggedly go after it ruthlessly & network. Then they all get in the limelight as they big each other up.

Pandora saying in an article that she doesn’t know why people say parenting is hard etc. Of course not! You have a nanny for four whole days a week! Parenting doing only bedtime tucking in and weekends would be bliss!!!!

Dolly is single and has all the time in world but how does Pandora put her kids to sleep then read for few hours and see her husband I don’t understand how she does it when most people read a book every 3-4 weeks.

They also say in almost everything that men wouldn’t be treated the same way, about being called posh in The Telegraph. Of course they do!!! I can’t think of any British actor who hasn’t been accused of having a silver spoon in their mouth.

Sorry not a very well written or eloquent rant they just annoy me.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m an avid pop culture enthusiast, so I love the podcast. The only episodes I don’t particularly enjoy are the author specials, as I prefer when they stick to current affairs, celebrities, articles etc. Sometimes, they are a little too woke for me. An example of this is Dolly making glib comments about the Tory Party whenever she gets the opportunity, but I think it is important to not live in an echo chamber and hear views different to mine.

Controversial maybe, but of the two I prefer Pandora. I appreciate her analysis and takes on things. I also tend to have an interest in watching and reading more of the TV and books that she recommends over Dolly’s suggestions.

Their voices are similar but I can definitely tell the difference between them.

Reactions: 9
I’ve had to stop listening to the high low and have unfollowed them both of twitter. So out of touch with real life! Few episodes ago talking about lockdown Dolly wailed and said she might be okay now with the lockdown and pandemic (in the beach house retreat and financially) but “it would have been a completely different story a couple of years ago”.

Had to switch off. What a load of absolute bullshit.

hate how‘woke’ they are and how it’s almost a competition to be the most verbose. I tolerate pandora a smidge more than dolly though, the latter is so narcissistic that it’s painful to listen to (I always think - Jesus no wonder you can constantly drone on about being single - you’d drive any man crazy)

I used to quite like the podcast until Pandora started to turn every conversation around to be about the fact that she was pregnant/had just had a baby like she was the only one who’s ever given birth...she totally dominates the podcast now which is a shame as I do think Dolly has more to say. Although the pair of them come across as pretty clueless - typical of the unpaid London internship gang!

Agree about Dolly seeming to be on the front of everyones book recently haha. I was surprised to see her do the intro for the reprint of one of Nora Ephron's books.

It's weird as well how a lot of them in their journo friend group who are releasing books have quotes from each other. For example Dolly has a quote for Pandora's, she's not exactly going to say anything bad about her friends book is she? And Elizabeth Day quoted for Dollys book "a Nora Ephron for the millienial generation".

Reactions: 5
I'm only listening to the High Low now if I've listened to all my other podcasts and even then flicking through to miss the endless pre-order some other posh girl's book chat. Every episode they declare a book / article / TV show / podcast, 'vital' and then I stop completely because not every bloody thing your media pals have written is that important.

Yeesh, that was a bit rantier than I expected.

I actually don't mind them both. I think they are both well meaning but far more clueless about the real world than they understand.

I'm only listening to the High Low now if I've listened to all my other podcasts and even then flicking through to miss the endless pre-order some other posh girl's book chat. Every episode they declare a book / article / TV show / podcast, 'vital' and then I stop completely because not every bloody thing your media pals have written is that important.

Yeesh, that was a bit rantier than I expected.

I actually don't mind them both. I think they are both well meaning but far more clueless about the real world than they understand.
Haha yes vital that was the word I was trying to think of!! Same, I don’t hugely dislike them just find them bit grating and annoying and I don’t enjoy their podcast anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I listened to Pandora on Angela Scalon’s podcast a while ago and I remember she was so ungrateful and about her career in fashion, like the industry was too superficial for her now - she’s moved on to be a proper ‘writer’. She came across as so snobby, and completely unaware of how privileged (her family are very wealthy and she went to one of the poshest boarding schools in England) she was to land the job as the ‘Wardrobe Mistress’ at the Sunday Times in her twenties (twenties!) I’m not saying she has zero talent or doesn’t work hard but why is is so difficult for her to acknowledge her privilege?

Reactions: 7
I listened to Pandora on Angela Scalon’s podcast a while ago and I remember she was so ungrateful and about her career in fashion, like the industry was too superficial for her now - she’s moved on to be a proper ‘writer’. She came across as so snobby, and completely unaware of how privileged (her family are very wealthy and she went to one of the poshest boarding schools in England) she was to land the job as the ‘Wardrobe Mistress’ at the Sunday Times in her twenties (twenties!) I’m not saying she has zero talent or doesn’t work hard but why is is so difficult for her to acknowledge her privilege?
I find the same with Dolly they say about how fortunate they were to get unpaid internships and able to live at home and Dolly often romanticises the fact she had no money and gave out flyers etc but they don’t seem to make the connection that it is who you know not what you know and if they hadn’t the doors opened to them by their privileged upbringing then honestly they wouldn’t be where they are now. I follow so many people on Instagram and it is surprising how many just everyday normal people I follow who have just a few hundred followers write really beautifully and will never get the chances Pandora & Dolly got.

Reactions: 9
Dolly is definitely what we called a “rah” at uni. She’s around the same age as me and a friend went to Exeter uni with her - said she was one of those posh idiots who turned up to lectures with bed head and wearing what looked like pyjamas and the obligatory Uggs
Sorry - not usually in this thread and thus behind - but YES! She was in my year (or perhaps the one below) at uni, and she was always outside the library with bed hair and tiny shorts and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth - I never really spoke to her but she always seemed a bit aloof and unapproachable. Might just have been how I perceived her, though...

Sorry - not usually in this thread and thus behind - but YES! She was in my year (or perhaps the one below) at uni, and she was always outside the library with bed hair and tiny shorts and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth - I never really spoke to her but she always seemed a bit aloof and unapproachable. Might just have been how I perceived her, though...
Ahh this is interesting gossip! Didn't she meet Vanessa Kirby at uni? Any thoughts on what she was like?

Ahh this is interesting gossip! Didn't she meet Vanessa Kirby at uni? Any thoughts on what she was like?
I'm afraid I don't have much more to say! She did Drama I believe, and she always seemed like she thought she was better than the rest of us. I never really spoke to her, only saw her round and about. She definitely didn't associate with my "normal" group of friends - and there were definitely some in there from more privileged backgrounds as that's the nature of Exeter uni! I wish I could offer more gossip...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.