Does anyone hate their job?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't hate the job itself, but the environment is absolutely terrible. It's the wrong company to be spending a whole lockdown with. I was working in a very dynamic Big4 and never felt "lonely" once during the first 4 months of this lockdown. Absolutely disliked the job then, but the company was great. Great support to employees in all fairness.

Moved back into banking in July 2020 and although the role is a bit more interesting, this is the driest team I've ever operated in. The atmosphere is a complete flat line.
  • Calls (whenever we have one once a week or so) are very formal, no icebreaker, nothing. No catch-ups or team "happy hour". The only happy hour we had was a cross-region Zoom call at 1pm with about 60 people on the call (talk about a team specific happy hour). I'm starting to miss the daily catch-ups we had in Big4 (though hated them at the time).
  • Never been asked one time about how I'm coping with the lockdown and I've been there almost a year now. No 1-1s, so no one cares really.
  • Never got a thank you for anything or a "good job". No feedback ever, everything is just very transactional.
  • No work-life balance with people pestering you on Skype on a Sunday if they see you online and cumbersome processes that force you to remain logged in until 8pm to publish a report about a meeting that finished at 5pm. My working hours have been 9am to 8/9pm, rinse and repeat every day.
  • The team itself is questionable. Between one who said they forgot to complete an analysis to support a project they offered to assist on, one who dropped me at the last minute when they realize they didn't know how to read a formula in Excel & incorrectly read the financial statements, thus leading to an escalation and this very person saying they don't have time to finish an analysis they committed to complete. Unprofessional to the core.
I'm tempted to seek an internal move, but I doubt it would be any better. I have friends who worked for this very same company and stayed 1 year max. Now I understand why.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've seen an apprenticeship which I'm really keen to apply for as its the mainly the few parts of my current job role i enjoy, in a reputable organisation and it does say likely to be guaranteed job at the end of the 18 months. My only concern is pay is not clear, as its a school they have specified it would be term time only and stated pay per week not pro rota/FTE.
How bad would it look if i email them to clarify the pay? I know discussing pay is seen as quite unprofessional but the issue is if its the price per week for the term time only it would be around £13k a year which would not make financial sense for me to apply but if its for 52 weeks it would be comparable to my job now.

Reactions: 1
I don't hate the job itself, but the environment is absolutely terrible. It's the wrong company to be spending a whole lockdown with. I was working in a very dynamic Big4 and never felt "lonely" once during the first 4 months of this lockdown. Absolutely disliked the job then, but the company was great. Great support to employees in all fairness.

Moved back into banking in July 2020 and although the role is a bit more interesting, this is the driest team I've ever operated in. The atmosphere is a complete flat line.
  • Calls (whenever we have one once a week or so) are very formal, no icebreaker, nothing. No catch-ups or team "happy hour". The only happy hour we had was a cross-region Zoom call at 1pm with about 60 people on the call (talk about a team specific happy hour). I'm starting to miss the daily catch-ups we had in Big4 (though hated them at the time).
  • Never been asked one time about how I'm coping with the lockdown and I've been there almost a year now. No 1-1s, so no one cares really.
  • Never got a thank you for anything or a "good job". No feedback ever, everything is just very transactional.
  • No work-life balance with people pestering you on Skype on a Sunday if they see you online and cumbersome processes that force you to remain logged in until 8pm to publish a report about a meeting that finished at 5pm. My working hours have been 9am to 8/9pm, rinse and repeat every day.
  • The team itself is questionable. Between one who said they forgot to complete an analysis to support a project they offered to assist on, one who dropped me at the last minute when they realize they didn't know how to read a formula in Excel & incorrectly read the financial statements, thus leading to an escalation and this very person saying they don't have time to finish an analysis they committed to complete. Unprofessional to the core.
I'm tempted to seek an internal move, but I doubt it would be any better. I have friends who worked for this very same company and stayed 1 year max. Now I understand why.
Perhaps lead the change? Try to find a staff engagement forum and bring the issues that you are struggling with into light? Better still, make one. And get other people involved. Even if you then decide to leave, you are leaving a legacy

I've seen an apprenticeship which I'm really keen to apply for as its the mainly the few parts of my current job role i enjoy, in a reputable organisation and it does say likely to be guaranteed job at the end of the 18 months. My only concern is pay is not clear, as its a school they have specified it would be term time only and stated pay per week not pro rota/FTE.
How bad would it look if i email them to clarify the pay? I know discussing pay is seen as quite unprofessional but the issue is if its the price per week for the term time only it would be around £13k a year which would not make financial sense for me to apply but if its for 52 weeks it would be comparable to my job now.
I would clarify pay, as their is a pay rate for apprenticeships , depending on age , which can be rather low. I know it used to be the case that apprentices could be paid less than minimum wage.
They may make you go through the application process before telling you the pay details.

Perhaps lead the change? Try to find a staff engagement forum and bring the issues that you are struggling with into light? Better still, make one. And get other people involved. Even if you then decide to leave, you are leaving a legacy
Thank you, appreciate the suggestion.

There's a lot of red tape and the team is completely fragmented and a bit of a tough crowd. It could be a bonding strategy, but given the company culture, I don't think it's safe. The management has already supposedly acknowledged the issues, but some of these issues you can't discuss in a forum. It's down to the employee as to whether it matters or not. The management wouldn't appreciate that. I've been there already (try to discuss issues etc...) and it turned against me.

I ended up with a (mini) seizure on Sunday because of the amount of stress I was under, so setting up an engagement forum with these people to keep discussing systemic issues that will never be solved as they seem to be a company-wide problem, is probably not my focus now. Besides, given how fragmented the team is, would be willing to engage, I'm 100% sure.

I don't hate being a GP, I hate how much the media vilifies us, and in turn leads patients to ask questions like so when are you opening up for face to face appointments, while sitting in-front of me, face to face, for an appointment I gave them on the same day, after an initial telephone triage....

Reactions: 6
The job I've hated the most was about ten years ago. Two micromanaging bosses, expecting me to work FT when I was contracted PT (and had another job to pay the bills), additional social expectations on top of being in the office all day, being phoned whilst on annual leave. Could go on and on. That job made me cry in the shower many a day.

The last straw came when I had to put them down as a reference. It was for an internal job at a different organisation to the one I described above. The day before interview HR contacted me to say that my former bosses claimed to have had no interaction with me, in spite of having worked there for a number of years, so could not provide a reference.

Thankfully I now have more years of experience so don't need to rely on them for references. But for anyone in a job they hate, make plans to get out and please know one day it will all be a distant memory, albeit an unpleasant one.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
The job I've hated the most was about ten years ago. Two micromanaging bosses, expecting me to work FT when I was contracted PT (and had another job to pay the bills), additional social expectations on top of being in the office all day, being phoned whilst on annual leave. Could go on and on. That job made me cry in the shower many a day.

The last straw came when I had to put them down as a reference. It was for an internal job at a different organisation to the one I described above. The day before interview HR contacted me to say that my former bosses claimed to have had no interaction with me, in spite of having worked there for a number of years, so could not provide a reference.

Thankfully I now have more years of experience so don't need to rely on them for references. But for anyone in a job they hate, make plans to get out and please know one day it will all be a distant memory, albeit an unpleasant one.
That is disgraceful. I know this is spiteful but I hope that company go bust! What an absolute arse.🤬

Reactions: 3
I don't hate the job, in fact I enjoy the job. I'm struggling with the people. It's a very small office. My boss and me are full time, the three other secretaries are part time, all doing 1.5 days a week. One of the secretaries is absolutely lovely, so they're not all bad. However my boss literally never talks to me, I mean that literally too. I'll come in every morning and say "morning" and get no reply. I'll ask "how are you?" if he comes into my office, I'll get no reply. If he brings work to me, he will mumble something under his breath, or, my least favourite... he'll drop it on my desk, point at it, then walk off. No words at all. That gets me down as I feel like he doesn't like me, but apparently a lot of "old school" people in his profession are the same. He will set me a massive task at 4.30pm, I'll rush to get it done by 5 and I won't even get as little as a thank you.

One of the secretaries is the bosses girlfriend. She's lazy. She will leave things for others to do knowing we can't really complain to the boss about her as it's awkward. She's messy. She never tidies up after herself. She'll let her lunch explode in the microwave and not wipe it down, she'll leave half eaten sandwiches in her desk bin and not bother to empty it before the weekend. Worse than that, there is no privacy. He tells her everything. There was a time I spoke to him in confidence about things I had going on at home, thinking that he'd keep it private (not an unreasonable expectation). I came in the following day to his girlfriend, my colleague, asking direct questions about my home life and letting me know "I can talk to her if I prefer as she can pass the message on". I feel like when I finally get lucky enough to fall pregnant, I will have to accept that if my boss knows, she will know too. That's not fair. Whether you're in an relationship with a colleague or not, there is a level of professionalism in the workplace where your employees deserve privacy. But I just don't get it here.

It's such a shame, it's really getting me down and it's a pity because in general the job is actually great.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
That is disgraceful. I know this is spiteful but I hope that company go bust! What an absolute arse.🤬
I know, that was the final nail in the coffin for me to be honest. That job taught me a lot and managing boundaries was one important lesson!

And I wasn't alone with feeling that way, a lot of other people felt that way. But a lot of people had the experience to either tell the bosses they were being unreasonable or were happy to stay there for a quiet life.

Another time I remember admitting a duck up to my boss and was left in tears after that meeting. Absolutely nobody came over to ask if I was ok. That was the final push that made me leave. My partner was luckily really supportive and we could get by on his job until I found another post.

I don't hate the job, in fact I enjoy the job. I'm struggling with the people. It's a very small office. My boss and me are full time, the three other secretaries are part time, all doing 1.5 days a week. One of the secretaries is absolutely lovely, so they're not all bad. However my boss literally never talks to me, I mean that literally too. I'll come in every morning and say "morning" and get no reply. I'll ask "how are you?" if he comes into my office, I'll get no reply. If he brings work to me, he will mumble something under his breath, or, my least favourite... he'll drop it on my desk, point at it, then walk off. No words at all. That gets me down as I feel like he doesn't like me, but apparently a lot of "old school" people in his profession are the same. He will set me a massive task at 4.30pm, I'll rush to get it done by 5 and I won't even get as little as a thank you.

One of the secretaries is the bosses girlfriend. She's lazy. She will leave things for others to do knowing we can't really complain to the boss about her as it's awkward. She's messy. She never tidies up after herself. She'll let her lunch explode in the microwave and not wipe it down, she'll leave half eaten sandwiches in her desk bin and not bother to empty it before the weekend. Worse than that, there is no privacy. He tells her everything. There was a time I spoke to him in confidence about things I had going on at home, thinking that he'd keep it private (not an unreasonable expectation). I came in the following day to his girlfriend, my colleague, asking direct questions about my home life and letting me know "I can talk to her if I prefer as she can pass the message on". I feel like when I finally get lucky enough to fall pregnant, I will have to accept that if my boss knows, she will know too. That's not fair. Whether you're in an relationship with a colleague or not, there is a level of professionalism in the workplace where your employees deserve privacy. But I just don't get it here.

It's such a shame, it's really getting me down and it's a pity because in general the job is actually great.
Gotta report that breach of confidentiality
Doesnt matter who she is that is wrong and needs addressing. I assume there is a HR department? It's got to be done

I know, that was the final nail in the coffin for me to be honest. That job taught me a lot and managing boundaries was one important lesson!

And I wasn't alone with feeling that way, a lot of other people felt that way. But a lot of people had the experience to either tell the bosses they were being unreasonable or were happy to stay there for a quiet life.

Another time I remember admitting a duck up to my boss and was left in tears after that meeting. Absolutely nobody came over to ask if I was ok. That was the final push that made me leave. My partner was luckily really supportive and we could get by on his job until I found another post.
You could be very spiteful and leave a review of the company on Indeed. They just ask what it was like working there so say what you need 😂
So glad you have support and another job you like. Good on you

• Heart
Gotta report that breach of confidentiality
Doesnt matter who she is that is wrong and needs addressing. I assume there is a HR department? It's got to be done
There's not really a HR dept to be honest, we're a very small firm with 2 partners who work at our other branch. I think I'm going to send them a long email explaining all my grievances and perhaps see if I can be transferred as I don't feel happy here

There's not really a HR dept to be honest, we're a very small firm with 2 partners who work at our other branch. I think I'm going to send them a long email explaining all my grievances and perhaps see if I can be transferred as I don't feel happy here
Best of luck. Your Manager has broken your confidentiality and your trust. That is unexplainable and really a sackable offence.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hate my job and I don't have any work friends which makes it even worse. When we were in the office I tried so hard to be polite and friendly with everyone but always ended up eating on my own. I used to sometimes work with my ex (recently broken up sadly) at his which made it better because I had someone to speak to during lockdown. The people I deal with work are horrible and self entitled buggers. My manager gives me fake sympathy when it comes to my health and recent relationship breakdown. She'll just move on like there is no care in the world for anything but the job. I have been off sick for about 11 weeks and return to work on Thursday and I really just can't bear it. I'm not sure if it's because of the break up or the fact that this job has crushed my soul for nearly two years. The worse thing is I really do need the money because I support my mum so I can't quit. I also have zero confidence when it comes to applying for jobs. I always undersell myself because I don't think I am good enough. :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I am in the midst of job hunting, I am wondering if it will be good to have a job hunting thread here on Tattle (I know is more of a gossip side) to get a realistic feedbacks/ views about everything job hunting.

Hate my job and I don't have any work friends which makes it even worse. When we were in the office I tried so hard to be polite and friendly with everyone but always ended up eating on my own. I used to sometimes work with my ex (recently broken up sadly) at his which made it better because I had someone to speak to during lockdown. The people I deal with work are horrible and self entitled buggers. My manager gives me fake sympathy when it comes to my health and recent relationship breakdown. She'll just move on like there is no care in the world for anything but the job. I have been off sick for about 11 weeks and return to work on Thursday and I really just can't bear it. I'm not sure if it's because of the break up or the fact that this job has crushed my soul for nearly two years. The worse thing is I really do need the money because I support my mum so I can't quit. I also have zero confidence when it comes to applying for jobs. I always undersell myself because I don't think I am good enough. :(
I can relate to this! When I look so some of the idiot who are in senior positions in my current company, I told myself 'if they can do it, I could'. There are two types of people, people who are good in talking or people who are good in their job.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.