Documentaries you've seen you still think about to this day

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh I'm remembering a few of these now. For some reason (not sure of it's been talked about) I keep thinking about the family that had big brother type cameras in their home in Canterbury, thinks it was 00's there was a mum, I think a dad, 2 daughters and a son. It was just watching them like they were there own big brother house. Wonder if they're weirded out by that now or not. The boy seemed quite close with his mum. Anyone remember?
The Family?

Reactions: 1
Ooh I'm remembering a few of these now. For some reason (not sure of it's been talked about) I keep thinking about the family that had big brother type cameras in their home in Canterbury, thinks it was 00's there was a mum, I think a dad, 2 daughters and a son. It was just watching them like they were there own big brother house. Wonder if they're weirded out by that now or not. The boy seemed quite close with his mum. Anyone remember?
The Family?

The Family?
There is also a similar one (albeit much less technologically advanced) called the same from the 1960s( I think) it is fascinating how different life was. I think it is all on YouTube still

Ah I remember 'The Family'. It was a great series and they seemed like a very nice family. The mum was always emptying bins though in the house I seem to remember!

There is also a similar one (albeit much less technologically advanced) called the same from the 1960s( I think) it is fascinating how different life was. I think it is all on YouTube still
Ooh was that the family with Margaret and Terry?

Ooh was that the family with Margaret and Terry?
I cannot remember their names but it might be! I just remember that they had loads pf people crammed into a tiny house, the adults all looked SO much older than people of the same ages today, you can see how tough their lives were

I cannot remember their names but it might be! I just remember that they had loads pf people crammed into a tiny house, the adults all looked SO much older than people of the same ages today, you can see how tough their lives were
I watched it on YouTube earlier in the year. Was so interesting to look back x

Reactions: 2
I really liked House of Tiny Tearaways and another one where they had all these single mums in a mansion and they filmed them around the clock dealing with their different issues. It was around 2005ish I think because my own kids were babies and I watched the toddlers with a mix of fascination and fear of what might be coming next!
I remember that! There would be such a mix of issues, from feeding problems (kids who would only eat yoghurt, etc), sleep problems, violent behaviour and all sorts. I remember one episode where a little girl just wouldn’t let her mum do anything for her. Think there was a history of severe postnatal depression. I didn’t have children at the time but found it really fascinating.

I plan to watch this - I like the less sensational style of Storyville.

I really enjoyed Sue Klebold's book. Or atleast, it was very sincere and thought provoking. And sad, of course.

Channel 4 documentaries between 2000 and 2005 were trauma central for me. I couldn't stomach watching them today. Prostitution in Iran, 101 Rent Boys, Cold Turkey, and one about sex toys where someone split a melon while demonstrating one of the toys. Nightmare fuel.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Ah I remember 'The Family'. It was a great series and they seemed like a very nice family. The mum was always emptying bins though in the house I seem to remember!
They did an Asian family as well in a later series, the father of the house used to shout "cup of tea!" To his wife and she would bring him one. The girls in the Canterbury one used to come to the orthodontist where i worked, we were a bit star struck!

Reactions: 2
Yes!! I’m 38 and still terrified of pylons! And sparklers because of the fireworks adverts from the 80’s 😂
Im 56 and remember a fire safety video where a house catches fire and a little girl screaming "mummy!" Echoes at the end, traumatised me for years! Edit: just found it on yt, its called fire prevention searching 1974, still made my heart miss a beat! Ive never burned the house down (yet) so it obviously did the trick.

My mum used to watch Paddington Green in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Think it was before bbc3 but a late night on bbc2 sort of thing. No idea why she let me watch it 😂

yes! I remember the dad in the second one shouting to his wife ‘cup of tea!!’ Which became a catchphrase in our house
And in ours!

Last edited:
I watched two episodes of This is Pop on Netflix with my husband yesterday. The first was Britpop which for me was a nice cursory look back at the decade when I was a child but was quite into pop culture in a lot of ways. The second was about Festivals.
Whilst it was interesting it rattled me completely and left me unable to sleep because of Woodstock 99. I didn't really know anything about the festival. I have been to lots of festivals since I was 17 in 2004 and can't wait to go to more.
Seeing the tinderbox of tension and rage in the footage was one thing but knowing from the doc and from when I looked after that so many of the girls and women there were groped, assaulted and worse just made me feel sick with nerves. Seeing footage of a topless woman with someone else's hands grappling her skin - knowing she wasn't the only one this happened to. The whole placed looked like hell on earth.

I know there is an HBO documentary to come out about Woodstock 99 this month in the US, with a UK date/platform to follow. I would like to watch it but I sense I will come away with this pit-of-stomach feeling again.

Reactions: 8
I watched two episodes of This is Pop on Netflix with my husband yesterday. The first was Britpop which for me was a nice cursory look back at the decade when I was a child but was quite into pop culture in a lot of ways. The second was about Festivals.
Whilst it was interesting it rattled me completely and left me unable to sleep because of Woodstock 99. I didn't really know anything about the festival. I have been to lots of festivals since I was 17 in 2004 and can't wait to go to more.
Seeing the tinderbox of tension and rage in the footage was one thing but knowing from the doc and from when I looked after that so many of the girls and women there were groped, assaulted and worse just made me feel sick with nerves. Seeing footage of a topless woman with someone else's hands grappling her skin - knowing she wasn't the only one this happened to. The whole placed looked like hell on earth.

I know there is an HBO documentary to come out about Woodstock 99 this month in the US, with a UK date/platform to follow. I would like to watch it but I sense I will come away with this pit-of-stomach feeling again.
I‘m desperate to watch Woodstock 99. It came out last week. I had hubby scour the net to see if there was a way we could watch it but it’s HBO and he came up empty. So if anyone does get to watch it, please link!

If my memory serves me right, ‘99 was always going to be a disaster. A few friends and I contemplated attending (I lived on the east coast of NA at the time) mainly to see The Tragically Hip because the rest of the line up didn’t appeal to us at all. Korn, Limp Bikzit, Kid Rock? Misogynistic crap. In those days, it was all about the mosh pits which was a bunch of guys violently pushing each other. It pains me to say that it’s just not a safe place for women.

Watching from home, I remember it was just a sea of topless women getting groped by boys wearing backward baseball caps and chino shorts. A male friend attended and he was non plussed by the nudity and violence that erupted but one thing he said that stood out was that he didn’t think he’d had a piss all weekend because he was so dehydrated - couldn’t get ahold of free water and didn’t want to pay big bucks for it.

Jesse Martin an Aussie kid who sailed single handed non stop around the world on his boat Lionheart. Loved watching this.

I‘m desperate to watch Woodstock 99. It came out last week. I had hubby scour the net to see if there was a way we could watch it but it’s HBO and he came up empty. So if anyone does get to watch it, please link!

If my memory serves me right, ‘99 was always going to be a disaster. A few friends and I contemplated attending (I lived on the east coast of NA at the time) mainly to see The Tragically Hip because the rest of the line up didn’t appeal to us at all. Korn, Limp Bikzit, Kid Rock? Misogynistic crap. In those days, it was all about the mosh pits which was a bunch of guys violently pushing each other. It pains me to say that it’s just not a safe place for women.

Watching from home, I remember it was just a sea of topless women getting groped by boys wearing backward baseball caps and chino shorts. A male friend attended and he was non plussed by the nudity and violence that erupted but one thing he said that stood out was that he didn’t think he’d had a piss all weekend because he was so dehydrated - couldn’t get ahold of free water and didn’t want to pay big bucks for it.
yeah considering the whole thing of woodstock is all about love etc or those bands made 0 sense

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.