Doctor Who news and gossip-through all of time and space!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was so excited when a woman was cast and really liked her as the Doctor but the writing has been nothing short of awful. I’ve met Jodie and she’s lovely and the look on my child’s face when a female Doctor was revealed will stay with me. But pretty quickly I had repeated concussion from being bludgeoned with the lesson of the week. Every week.

Eccleston and Tenant are ‘my’ Doctors and I love their arcs. John Sims is my favourite Master too. I was frustrated when they got rid of Pearl during Capaldi‘s run because it felt like we were starting to get some consistently good storylines.

It makes me so sad to see how far Who has fallen. I was at a cinema showing of the 50th special and there were so many people there for it, so happy and excited, cheering and booing in the cinema. It’ll be the 60th soon and if they did the same thing again, I wonder how many would turn up. I‘d be there but probably out of loyalty more than anything else.
I agree. I took my son to a cinema showing dressed in a full cybermen outfit! It was brilliant! I dont know if they will have the same fanfare for the 60th. They will have to go into it with a brand new writing crew and cast for a start. I agree Chibnalls writing has been appalling for Who, and it's as if he couldnt even be bothered to write that much of it. The enormous gaps ( even without covid) have done it no good. Kids start watching it and stay with it. If it's hardly ever on they lose interest.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Dr Who is meant to be a bit of escapism, fun and a little scary. It has got all woke and preachy. Last few series have turned me right off.

I think Jo Martin was really good in the episode she did and despite preferring a male Dr Who I would be happy to see her in the role.

Reactions: 5
Dr Who is meant to be a bit of escapism, fun and a little scary. It has got all woke and preachy. Last few series have turned me right off.
Doctor Who has always had an element of being woke etc. But in a much more understated way that it doesn't take over an episode. And that's been the problem recently, it's been smack you in the face, front and centre preaching rather than just quietly there.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Doctor Who has always had an element of being woke etc. But in a much more understated way that it doesn't take over an episode. And that's been the problem recently, it's been smack you in the face, front and centre preaching rather than just quietly there.
I think that was true. If you look at the Van Gogh episode which won an award for its portrayal of mental Health issues and some of the stuff that Chibnall was hitting us over the head with, the difference in subtlety is off the scale. But I think it takes a phenomenal writer to do that, and a sci fi writer to write about social issues, as all sci fi writers do in a way where its not necessarily obvious, and Chibnall, IMO is neither.

Reactions: 8
Everyone's fave companion from the old Dr Who. From watching as a child mine would be teegan. Probably because i thought she was pretty and cool. I think she'd annoy me now lol

Reactions: 1
Anyone had their kids hiding behind the sofa watching Chibnall's "Feminista Who"?

• Haha
Anyone had their kids hiding behind the sofa watching Chibnall's "Feminista Who"?
Nah, My son (like me) is doctor who mad...we found ourselves turning over... it's just lame, and for the love of christ, CAN WE STOP SAYING FAM.

Nah, My son (like me) is doctor who mad...we found ourselves turning over... it's just lame, and for the love of christ, CAN WE STOP SAYING FAM.
I bleeping hate that FAM shite 😡
Whittaker is appalling in the part and all of the companions are tediously dull. They need to jettison the whole lot or the show is dead.

Anybody will be better as Dr Who than her!

Reactions: 7
I bleeping hate that FAM shite 😡
Whittaker is appalling in the part and all of the companions are tediously dull. They need to jettison the whole lot or the show is dead.

Anybody will be better as Dr Who than her!
I think they probably will. I cant see John Bishop carrying over for more than a year, and the new showrunner will want their own cast.

Everyone's fave companion from the old Dr Who. From watching as a child mine would be teegan. Probably because i thought she was pretty and cool. I think she'd annoy me now lol
Ace (Sophie Aldred) for me, although I had a massive crush on Peri Brown (Nicola Bryant). She made my tummy squidgy when I was 7, and still has that effect on me now......

Reactions: 3
I actually enjoyed the last series Peter Capaldi did. I watched the first series with Jodie but it was just awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I really didn't like Peter Capaldi's interpretation but that may have been the material he was given.I desperately wanted to like Jodie Whittaker in the role but she was came across as preachy and one dimensional . Again, probably the scriptwriting.I hope new plots, showrunner and Doctor can revitalise this programme.

Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble
Favourite Villain: Weeping Angels

Reactions: 6
The thing for me is, despite having a female Doctor I feel like the last few series have had much less of a female focus than RTD or Moffat series. Under the previous showrunners, yes we had a male Doctor but every series was largely about one specific female companion and the story of how the Doctor impacted her life, for good or bad. We've lost that recently - I feel like I know so little about Yaz apart from being really really keen on travelling with the Doctor. There was more focus on Ryan and Graham's relationship, making series 11 and 12 feel in some ways even more male-focussed than usual! I would really love for the show to go back to the male Doctor / female companion dynamic and give us another strong companion story to get invested in, like we had with Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, Clara and Bill.

Edit to add: there is another Doctor Who thread in the TV section, perhaps the two threads could be merged?

Reactions: 4
The thing for me is, despite having a female Doctor I feel like the last few series have had much less of a female focus than RTD or Moffat series. Under the previous showrunners, yes we had a male Doctor but every series was largely about one specific female companion and the story of how the Doctor impacted her life, for good or bad. We've lost that recently - I feel like I know so little about Yaz apart from being really really keen on travelling with the Doctor. There was more focus on Ryan and Graham's relationship, making series 11 and 12 feel in some ways even more male-focussed than usual! I would really love for the show to go back to the male Doctor / female companion dynamic and give us another strong companion story to get invested in, like we had with Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy, Clara and Bill.

Edit to add: there is another Doctor Who thread in the TV section, perhaps the two threads could be merged?
Actually yes that is a very good point. They added an older Male companion who, in other series would have been the demographic to play The Doctor and stuffed too many companions in the Tardis overall. It was as if Chibnall made a decision he was going to have a female Doctor then didnt have the courage of his own convictions so had to concentrate on the men again.

Tom Baker made a great appearance in one of the Matt Smith episodes as the caretaker offering him a jelly baby. Can't remember the title of the episode.
I thought Bradley Walsh made a great companion but I wasn't keen on Jodie and some of the episodes (spiders) my 6 year old was too scared to watch yet she loved all the episodes from Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi. My daughter also has the claim to fame that Colin Baker gave her her bottle when she was a tiny baby, while I got to drink my cup of tea. He is such a lovely man. Nicola Bryant is also lovely. Sylvester McCoy I've met twice and he remembered me asking about Radaghast.
also the other thing about Jodie's latest series about the Doctor's origins goes against what was written in Lungbarrow about the origins of the Doctor. Not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, as it gives the Doctors real name.

Tom Baker made a great appearance in one of the Matt Smith episodes as the caretaker offering him a jelly baby. Can't remember the title of the episode.
I thought Bradley Walsh made a great companion but I wasn't keen on Jodie and some of the episodes (spiders) my 6 year old was too scared to watch yet she loved all the episodes from Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi. My daughter also has the claim to fame that Colin Baker gave her her bottle when she was a tiny baby, while I got to drink my cup of tea. He is such a lovely man. Nicola Bryant is also lovely. Sylvester McCoy I've met twice and he remembered me asking about Radaghast.
also the other thing about Jodie's latest series about the Doctor's origins goes against what was written in Lungbarrow about the origins of the Doctor. Not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, as it gives the Doctors real name.
Tom Baker played the caretaker in the 50th Anniversary episode.

Colin Baker was voted President of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society by a VERY large margin. Even those fans that don't like his Doctors era love Colin. He is a great man, particularly after the way the BBC treated him as the Doctor. He could have told everyone to bugger off, but he's really involved in Doctor Who.

Lungbarrow became non-canonical during David Tennants time, after Tennant revealed parts of the Doctors early life.

The Day of the Doctor. Loved it when Tom Baker turned up :love:

Reactions: 8
Tom Baker played the caretaker in the 50th Anniversary episode.

Colin Baker was voted President of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society by a VERY large margin. Even those fans that don't like his Doctors era love Colin. He is a great man, particularly after the way the BBC treated him as the Doctor. He could have told everyone to bugger off, but he's really involved in Doctor Who.

Lungbarrow became non-canonical during David Tennants time, after Tennant revealed parts of the Doctors early life.
I still think I prefer it as a back story

Reactions: 2