Doctor Who news and gossip-through all of time and space!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I grew up with Dr who, loved it, adored it, was terrified of it as a child, Colin Baker was my Dr. then again Ace was a bloody awesome companion.
When it came back in 2005 I was delighted, Eccleston was great, going against popular opinion but Tennent ran too long, they dragged the arse out of him and Roses storyline. I wasn't hoping for much when Smith was cast, but mannnn he was awesome, made it fun again.
I'd high hopes for Capaldi and there was flashes of brilliance, but the writing let him down, sadly I can barely tell you whats happened with Whittakers Dr, and I've watched every episode, it's just been meh.
I'll just go back to Smith reruns :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Is that the woven from a loom business?

I didn't like that either but at least it wasnt that guff Chibnall came up with!!
It was about the Loom yes and the bit I liked was it was meant to be Sylvester McCoy. Had a great conversation with him about it at a comic con

Reactions: 1
I grew up with Dr who, loved it, adored it, was terrified of it as a child, Colin Baker was my Dr. then again Ace was a bloody awesome companion.
When it came back in 2005 I was delighted, Eccleston was great, going against popular opinion but Tennent ran too long, they dragged the arse out of him and Roses storyline. I wasn't hoping for much when Smith was cast, but mannnn he was awesome, made it fun again.
I'd high hopes for Capaldi and there was flashes of brilliance, but the writing let him down, sadly I can barley tell you whats happened with Whittakers Dr, and I've watched every episode, it's just been meh.
I'll just go back to Smith reruns :)
My Doctor who fan story is quite similar to yours! I started a bit earlier - Peter Davison is the Doctor I remember most from childhood and I missed most of Colin as we moved to a country where Doctor Who wasn't shown, but got back to it for McCoy's era and loved him and Ace.

While it was off air I just remembered it fondly as something wonderful from my childhood, never in a million years expected it to come back. So when it was announced to return it felt like every Christmas and birthday come at once! Loved Eccleston, loved Tennant too though I agree about the Rose storyline being tiresome. Then Matt Smith came along 🤩 🥰 ❤ Absolutely my favourite Doctor ever, he was just completely perfect and I loved Amy, Rory and River too. That was such a golden time to be a Doctor Who fan.

I too had high hopes for Capaldi and I loved his first series - the spiky, grumpy take on the character was an interesting turn. But series 9 bored me to tears, series 10 wasn't much better and I really hated all of 12's self-righteous speechifying. My least fave of the New Who Doctors, sadly, despite being a great actor and seemingly a lovely man.

I agree with your summary of 13's tenure too, very uninspiring, especially when you know how thrilling Doctor Who can be with the right actor and inventive writing. Am keeping positive though and hoping for something good to follow on from Jodie and Chris C!

Reactions: 6
My Doctor who fan story is quite similar to yours! I started a bit earlier - Peter Davison is the Doctor I remember most from childhood and I missed most of Colin as we moved to a country where Doctor Who wasn't shown, but got back to it for McCoy's era and loved him and Ace.

While it was off air I just remembered it fondly as something wonderful from my childhood, never in a million years expected it to come back. So when it was announced to return it felt like every Christmas and birthday come at once! Loved Eccleston, loved Tennant too though I agree about the Rose storyline being tiresome. Then Matt Smith came along 🤩 🥰 ❤ Absolutely my favourite Doctor ever, he was just completely perfect and I loved Amy, Rory and River too. That was such a golden time to be a Doctor Who fan.

I too had high hopes for Capaldi and I loved his first series - the spiky, grumpy take on the character was an interesting turn. But series 9 bored me to tears, series 10 wasn't much better and I really hated all of 12's self-righteous speechifying. My least fave of the New Who Doctors, sadly, despite being a great actor and seemingly a lovely man.

I agree with your summary of 13's tenure too, very uninspiring, especially when you know how thrilling Doctor Who can be with the right actor and inventive writing. Am keeping positive though and hoping for something good to follow on from Jodie and Chris C!
Peter was 'my first Doctor too, more or less. I do remember Tom Baker but watched it properly with Peter Davison. I remember watching all the way through to Sylvester McCoy but then losing interest. I'm notvsure if it was because it wasn't on on Saturday anymore or the stories got too silly! I loved Chris, David and Matt of the new incarnations and Capaldi grew on me. But I can't even really remember most of Jodies episodes because we just don't rematch them. I hope the show is revitalised for the 60th anniversary.

Reactions: 4
I've heard they're bringing back RTD as show runner. I like RTD and welcome the change but it's clear the show needs saving. It's been run into the ground. I was very disappointed in Chibnall considering he wrote my favorite two parter Human Nature/Family of Blood.

I know Capaldi was hit or miss but he was my doctor from the start. I could tell he (and Tennant) had so much fun playing The Doctor. I think they're childhood dream coming true helped them to rise above bad writing. As for Jodie it's clear they've given her no direction. Her doctor seems stuck in the post regeneration phase. She's never snapped out of the haze to recover all her knowledge and memories. She'll try to recall something, make a joke about not remembering it, pause for a few seconds, and then bam she gets it. They've done this for her entire run. I've grown to like all the Doctors at some point throughout their run. Some of them have taken longer than others but they've got there in the end. Jodie has never wowed me.

I don't care what the timeless child storyline says about it, William Hartnell is the first doctor.

Give Paul McGann a proper go. That man has been waiting for a phone call!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I've heard they're bringing back RTD as show runner. I like RTD and welcome the change but it's clear the show needs saving. It's been run into the ground. I was very disappointed in Chibnall considering he wrote my favorite two parter Human Nature/Family of Blood.

I know Capaldi was hit or miss but he was my doctor from the start. I could tell he (and Tennant) had so much fun playing The Doctor. I think they're childhood dream coming true helped them to rise above bad writing. As for Jodie it's clear they've given her no direction. Her doctor seems stuck in the post regeneration phase. She's never snapped out of the haze to recover all her knowledge and memories. She'll try to recall something, make a joke about not remembering it, pause for a few seconds, and then bam she gets it. They've done this for her entire run. I've grown to like all the Doctors at some point throughout their run. Some of them have taken longer than others but they've got there in the end. Jodie has never wowed me.

I don't care what the timeless child storyline says about it, William Hartnell is the first doctor.

Chibnall didn't write Human Nature. That was Paul Cornell adapted from his novel.

Reactions: 2
I actually enjoyed the last series Peter Capaldi did. I watched the first series with Jodie but it was just awful.

The last Capaldi series with Pearl and Matt Lucas was brilliant.
I think the rot started in the second series of Matt Smith s it started to get too complicated and at time s very boring .
The Whitiker one s well some were great very few most if not all were absolutely dreadful. My husband whose a hardcore fan actually fell asleep thru the last episode.Flux .
I hope it gets back to great Dr , great plots, monsters , threats and a great chemistry between the Dr and companions.

I was looking for a Doctor Who thread in the TV section. Does this need to be moved by the mods or do people only care about that sort of thing on Digital Spy?

Chibnall didn't write Human Nature. That was Paul Cornell adapted from his novel.
Thank you. I don't know why I always thought it was Chibnall. I've looked up the episodes he did write for previous seasons and I don't like any of them.

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't know why I always thought it was Chibnall. I've looked up the episodes he did write for previous seasons and I don't like any of them.
Chibnall wrote the The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood two parter (the one with Eleven and Amy discovering the Silurians) so that might be where the mix-up is.

I do find it interesting that while Chibnall wrote some of the more memorable episodes of Torchwood, the few he wrote for Doctor Who weren't exactly standouts (like Steven Moffat and Blink, for instance).
I personally haven't minded Jodie as the Doctor and there's been a couple of episodes I've liked but when I actually think back, I can't really remember much of what actually happened with the stories/characters for the majority of both series, even though I know I watched it. Maybe it's just growing older and habits changing but I've definitely felt less desperate to catch up in the past few years, just that I 'get round to it eventually'.

In the Fivish Doctors!