Doctor Who news and gossip-through all of time and space!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Isnt her name Jo Martin? Jo Grant is someone, but I dont know who!
Jo Grant was an assistant back in the 1970s. She was very glam but way too old to be the doctor or the companion now.
jo_grant.jpg

I'm really glad Whittaker is leaving as I can't stand her. I really want them to cast a man in the part again.

There was a rumour that the lead actor from 'It's a Sin' was up for the part. His name is Olly Alexander and was excellent in that series so he might be good.

Reactions: 3
Jo Grant was an assistant to Jon Pertwees doctor.

Mate of mine was at a Doctor Who convention, and asked Tom Baker if the 4th Doctor was banging Romana in the Tardis. Pause. His reply? 'Course he was'. (I should add that the actors married shortly after they finished Doctor Who).

The Showrunner is leaving too, so the next Doctor will be who he wants, not necessarily who public wants or think. No one had really heard of David Tennant or Matt Smith when they were cast.

Reactions: 4
Oh yeah 😂
I think I'd like a male Doctor again. I think they should have gone with a non white man. I don't think Jodie Whittaker is a great actress. The other incarnations could hold together some ropey writing with their charisma and personality, but I dont think Jodie managed it, and the writing was terrible at times.
But I liked Clara, who nobody else liked!

Reactions: 8
Oh yeah 😂
I think I'd like a male Doctor again. I think they should have gone with a non white man. I don't think Jodie Whittaker is a great actress. The other incarnations could hold together some ropey writing with their charisma and personality, but I dont think Jodie managed it, and the writing was terrible at times.
But I liked Clara, who nobody else liked!
I liked Clara too but felt they could have done more with her character

I’m old school I love all the old Dr’s ..I can’t stand new stuff.don’t make sense I like years ago music and fab actors.No this tit.

Reactions: 5
Thanks for this thread @EastofHollywood. :)

I tried to get into Jodie's Doctor but I just couldn't. I liked her in Broadchurch (loved Tennant in it!), but she wasn't The Doctor for me, unfortunately.

Who's everyone's favourite Master? Mine was definitely John Simm when he played David Tennant's Master. That whole story arc was great and they were both fantastic together.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
TWho's everyone's favourite Master? Mine was definitely John Simm when he played David Tennant's Master. That whole story arc was great and they were both fantastic together.
I think they are all great, but my favourite two are Anthony Ainley on TV (I grew up with him), and Geoff Beevers on audio Big finish.

Good story regarding Roger Delgado (first Master) though. They were filming the Daemons in the village, and Roger would entertain the children and adults with stories of his life, and from great literature, and everyone loved it, particularly the kids. The final scene from the episode sees the Master being driven away to prison, and people were supposed to boo him, and people didn't want to, because they all loved him!!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I loved Doctor Who until around series 6. Then I found the writing began to really deteriorate and good episodes became rarer and rarer.

I remember being very excited when Peter Capaldi was cast but by then the writing was so bad I gave up on watching the show several times.

Chris Chibnall's run of episodes, however, has been the most appalling level of quality of TV storytelling I've seen on just about any show I've ever watched. Dear God, what has happened to this programme? It is absolutely insufferable and unwatchable. I really gave it a fair chance too as I loved the idea of a female Doctor but I've found Jodie Whittaker to be an extremely limited actress, if not outright terrible...all that constant gasping for air like a fish out of water as she delivers every single line, but then again with what she's had to work with I fear I'm being unfair. Although I saw footage of her in a play called Anti-gone and her performance was the same, so maybe that's just her style.

Because newer episodes have been so bad I've been retreating into the classic era. I watched The Five Doctors the other day, which was delightful and now I'm going back to where it all began. I've seen earlier episodes before but I have a whole new appreciation for them now after seeing how bad the show can be in the wrong hands.

I wish Chibnall leaving filled me with hope for the show getting better again in its current form but he's pretty much completely destroyed it for me. The timeless child storyline was the final straw. Utterly unforgivable.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Where to start?
The reinvention of Doctor Who back in 2005, was brilliant Christopher Eccleston was an excellent Doctor, so was David Tennant. I lost interest in the series, when Peter Capaldi took over the role. He is a fine actor, but he is one of my least favourite Doctors.
It was in Capaldi's era, that they began messing with what had been a successful format.
My heart sank when they cast Jodie W as the Doctor, I am a bit of a traditionalist and believe the Doctor should be played by a man. I tried to embrace the new format of the show, but I really didn't enjoy being lectured to. The original concept of the programme was to entertain, not "alienate" the audience.
Ironically I think Jo Martin did an excellent job playing the Doctor, she has gravitas. She certainly made her mark, in a rare enjoyable episode from the Chibnall era. But it was a missed opportunity, because they could have done so much more with the character. She would have made an excellent Doctor.
I wish we could time travel back to 2005, when the show was relaunched. If the producers of Doctor Who had continued with this format, it would still be a successful show with high ratings.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thanks for this thread @EastofHollywood. :)

I tried to get into Jodie's Doctor but I just couldn't. I liked her in Broadchurch (loved Tennant in it!), but she wasn't The Doctor for me, unfortunately.

Who's everyone's favourite Master? Mine was definitely John Simm when he played David Tennant's Master. That whole story arc was great and they were both fantastic together.
I've loved all the Masters. I think it really gives the actors a chance to go bonkers on the evil, but they all end up having a core of vulnerability. I thought the Timeless Child nonsense, if applied to the Master would have gone someway to explaining away his madness- that he had been experiemented on, and that he wasn't really from Gallifrey, so he was treated as a lesser Timelord, but the story as it was was complete nonsense. I said on the other thread that I think they should have saved Sacha Dhawan for The Doctor role, as I think he would have been fabulous. Of the modern era, I loved Missy I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Is Tom Baker still alive? Sign him up!! What an interesting fellow. I suppose we all root for the Dr. we grew-up with, but honestly, who can argue that Tom was the BEST. :p

ps. The Daleks are the original gender-neutral enemies ... at least the BBC will keep them. Although they might give them a slightly camper 'Ex-Ter-Min-Nate' .... something like: "Oh go on then dear, Exterminate ... oooh". ;P

• Haha
Is Tom Baker still alive? Sign him up!! What an interesting fellow. I suppose we all root for the Dr. we grew-up with, but honestly, who can argue that Tom was the BEST. :p

ps. The Daleks are the original gender-neutral enemies ... at least the BBC will keep them. Although they might give them a slightly camper 'Ex-Ter-Min-Nate' .... something like: "Oh go on then dear, Exterminate ... oooh". ;P
He was the best! Hes well into his 80's but who cares! I read his autobiography years ago. Definitely an interesting chap! Hes done well to get to 80 something 😄

Reactions: 4
I was so excited when a woman was cast and really liked her as the Doctor but the writing has been nothing short of awful. I’ve met Jodie and she’s lovely and the look on my child’s face when a female Doctor was revealed will stay with me. But pretty quickly I had repeated concussion from being bludgeoned with the lesson of the week. Every week.

Eccleston and Tenant are ‘my’ Doctors and I love their arcs. John Sims is my favourite Master too. I was frustrated when they got rid of Pearl during Capaldi‘s run because it felt like we were starting to get some consistently good storylines.

It makes me so sad to see how far Who has fallen. I was at a cinema showing of the 50th special and there were so many people there for it, so happy and excited, cheering and booing in the cinema. It’ll be the 60th soon and if they did the same thing again, I wonder how many would turn up. I‘d be there but probably out of loyalty more than anything else.

• Heart
Reactions: 8