Discontent #9 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is that not them just covering the government allowance/tax break you get or is it more? I get around £26 a month working from home allowance which is now paid for by my company and they claim it back but before they set that up we claimed it individually through the government? If its more than that then it sounds like a benefit they were giving you separately.
It's a separate one, basically everyone who elected to WFH get's a little extra money. I think many are disappointed about the change, maybe they'll resconsider.

Reactions: 2
Finally gave in & turned our heating on yesterday. All electric with under floor (very poor installation on a new build & nothing further can be done to improve how it runs), on how it's running over 8 hours per day/night, just worked out it's going to cost £800‐£950± per month 😱 bloody wonderful! 😭
My grandfather has a large house. My aunt bought him a separate heater for just his room which really does work. The rest of the house gets heated for a much smaller amount of time, not 5+ hours.

Perhaps you could try that too?

Reactions: 3
I'm in a new job since September and part of contract was a "work from home allowance" to cover the extra costs people have from working in this mode. They specifically hired for people working from home and there's no office I could actually go to.
Well, today they announced that that allowance likely will be taken away :confused: Don't get me wrong, the salary is still very nice and I didn't sign because of that allowance, but taking it away seems like a bad move. Especially as it was phrased as help for extra costs and those extra costs will only be kicking off further now.
. The tax rules around a working from home allowance and claiming the tax break are a bit complicated. I took a job before lockdown that was advertised as using predominantly a home office and my WFH allowance was included in my hourly rate. This meant I couldn’t claim the WFH tax break, as I wfh was a specific part of my contract. My colleagues who were forced by the pandemic to wfh got an additional wfh allowance while offices were closed, and could also claim the tax break, but they’re back now and their allowance has been removed.

My grandfather has a large house. My aunt bought him a separate heater for just his room which really does work. The rest of the house gets heated for a much smaller amount of time, not 5+ hours.

Perhaps you could try that too?
That's what we've managed with up to now, just portable heaters in the lounge & our bedroom, but now it's much colder we need some background heat all over. We're only in a 2 bed flat, but the heating isn't fit for use as the builder paid peanuts to get it installed. NHBC (new build warranty) have paid for engineers to do as much as possible, but the only option left would be to rip up all the floors & start again with a new installation, obviously that isn't an option! 🤦‍♀️

Never mind, we've got a fantastic view in beautiful Cornwall & it will soon be Spring! 😬😃

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
That's what we've managed with up to now, just portable heaters in the lounge & our bedroom, but now it's much colder we need some background heat all over. We're only in a 2 bed flat, but the heating isn't fit for use as the builder paid peanuts to get it installed. NHBC (new build warranty) have paid for engineers to do as much as possible, but the only option left would be to rip up all the floors & start again with a new installation, obviously that isn't an option! 🤦‍♀️

Never mind, we've got a fantastic view in beautiful Cornwall & it will soon be Spring! 😬😃
Omg I’m stunned - sorry to ask but out of interest why can’t you rip the floors up for a new installation? It’s shocking that any new build can have such an inefficient heating mechanism that’s appalling! Surely that warranty should cover your expenses for somewhere to stay during the works done?

Reactions: 1
. The tax rules around a working from home allowance and claiming the tax break are a bit complicated. I took a job before lockdown that was advertised as using predominantly a home office and my WFH allowance was included in my hourly rate. This meant I couldn’t claim the WFH tax break, as I wfh was a specific part of my contract. My colleagues who were forced by the pandemic to wfh got an additional wfh allowance while offices were closed, and could also claim the tax break, but they’re back now and their allowance has been removed.
I'm in Germany, so the situation might be different here - I think where my company came from was that as each country has different taxation rules, they'd pay that money on top of the salary. I'm not sure if that's really how it works, but it sounded like that. Here I can claim a "homeoffix flat rate" when doing my taxes, which is separate from this money, but it also only applies to ~100 days (I think), which is obviously a lot less than I actually work with a 40h/d days a week contract.

Omg I’m stunned - sorry to ask but out of interest why can’t you rip the floors up for a new installation? It’s shocking that any new build can have such an inefficient heating mechanism that’s appalling! Surely that warranty should cover your expenses for somewhere to stay during the works done?
I think the block might have been condemned if they went that way on repairs as all 8 flats have the same issues with heating, wasn't really an option.

Being all electric, we knew heating was never going to be cheap. We were paying about £300 in coldest months back when prices weren't ridiculous. Less than £70 in summer, so a few expensive months a year were manageable, not so much now though!

• Heart
  • Wow
Its very cold here and I think we just have to accept that we need to put the heating on more. We've been keeping to just an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening so far but this week I have felt really quite cold at home. An hour of heating is costing us about a pound according to my smart meter.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I think the block might have been condemned if they went that way on repairs as all 8 flats have the same issues with heating, wasn't really an option.

Being all electric, we knew heating was never going to be cheap. We were paying about £300 in coldest months back when prices weren't ridiculous. Less than £70 in summer, so a few expensive months a year were manageable, not so much now though!
Thank you for answering I didn’t mean to sound rude. I’m horrified that builders can leave properties like that tbh, it feels like there are so many new build horror stories the government really needs to do more for people and actually hold them to account. I feel so sorry for the cladding scandal people.

For anyone who has dogs - download the "biscuit" app and use it to track your dog walks. You earn biscuits each walk which you can then exchange for various rewards. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks and this morning I have exchanged 850 biscuits for a £10 Asda voucher which I'll use towards some of my Christmas food shop - only a small amount but it will help :) The app is free and there's loads of rewards to choose from, I saw Tesco/Morrisons/M&S vouchers available on there too. You do have to walk regularly to earn good amounts of biscuits, but I figured I'd be walking my dog 2x a day anyway so I might as well be earning some rewards for doing so :)
I guess you could use apps like this if you didn’t have a dog and enjoyed walking too.

Reactions: 6
Thank you for answering I didn’t mean to sound rude. I’m horrified that builders can leave properties like that tbh, it feels like there are so many new build horror stories the government really needs to do more for people and actually hold them to account. I feel so sorry for the cladding scandal people.
Assuming it's concrete floors and a wet system, the pipes were probably laid out and then a screed poured over them during the build - if they got it wrong at that stage, there's very little that can be done to fix the issues :(

• Wow
It's currently only 12 in our house and hits 14 max with the heating. Haven't a choice other than to put it on because we have a 9 month old :'( Usually we'd just suffer it. Oil is going to cost us about £500-£600 this month and will last 2 months tops. Just failed MOT so that's going to be another £300-£400. Already been eating into savings upwards of £1000 a month because we aren't coping with the rise in cost of living and we've struggled this year making less than usual due to baby being 2 months preemie. Probably got about 6 months before we run dry so going to have to desperately figure out what to do, currently alternate shifts because childcare is too pricey plus I'd rather look after him myself than give all my wage for someone else to tbh. I just don't know what they expect people to do. All bills are atleast 2-3x higher, if not more. You can only cut so much without having near 0 quality of life left. I know people always have it rough and that won't ever change, but this shouldn't be the reality in households with two working individuals.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I earn what is considered a good salary by many, and it should be, but my disposable income is crippled by rent costs (soon to be mortgage costs). Housing prices are definitely the issue
See, I'm on what most people would probably think is a poor wage, mainly minimum wage, up to maybe £24K depending on where I'm working (I mainly temp in warehouses), but I'm fortunate to live in a very cheap HA flat with a secure tenancy and even on min wage and after all bills plus food I'd still have a disposable income of around £700 a month. I don't even have to work a full month and still be quite comfortable.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I second (third, seventh) the recommendation for a heated throw, they are so, so good. I bought mine in the summer before the prices went up, but I highly recommend buying one if you can afford it. They’re great for when sitting on the sofa or at a desk, or whatever. Mine even goes in the washing machine. (It’s ugly as sin, but the cats love it too.)

Reactions: 5
See, I'm on what most people would probably think is a poor wage, mainly minimum wage, up to maybe £24K depending on where I'm working (I mainly temp in warehouses), but I'm fortunate to live in a very cheap HA flat with a secure tenancy and even on min wage and after all bills plus food I'd still have a disposable income of around £700 a month. I don't even have to work a full month and still be quite comfortable.
I agree with the point you are making, often it is the outgoings that determine whether someone is comfortably off , rather than earnings.

Reactions: 5
I second (third, seventh) the recommendation for a heated throw, they are so, so good. I bought mine in the summer before the prices went up, but I highly recommend buying one if you can afford it. They’re great for when sitting on the sofa or at a desk, or whatever. Mine even goes in the washing machine. (It’s ugly as sin, but the cats love it too.)
I've got one bought in the sale last year but scared to use it as my smart meter doesn't show electric usage, but they say it costs 4p to use. 🤔😳

Would you mind linking to the one you have got please? I feel like it's a bit of a minefield knowing which one to buy!

I've got one bought in the sale last year but scared to use it as my smart meter doesn't show electric usage, but they say it costs 4p to use. 🤔😳
Does it say what wattage it is on a label? I think my large heated back pad is less than 100 Watts, so 3.4p per hour to use on the standard 34p/kwh

Reactions: 1
New Thread Started.

• Heart
One of our fellow tattlers previously recommended a snuggly zip up long , roomy jacket and it’s £15!! Perfect for me with a zip and it arrived today.

It’s terrific; warm cosy and it has a zip up front, brilliant!

Thanks 😘

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.