Discontent #6 food, energy, transport, cost of living, society etc

How much are you paying monthly for your energy bills?

• Less than £50

Votes: 10 2.6%
  • £51 - £100

Votes: 69 18.1%
  • £101 - £150

Votes: 81 21.2%
  • £151 - £200

Votes: 93 24.3%
  • £201 - £250

Votes: 47 12.3%
  • £251 - £300

Votes: 29 7.6%
  • More than £300

Votes: 28 7.3%
  • I cancelled my DD and pay for what I use

Votes: 25 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone asked on the last thread if it felt like a societal collapse of the UK. Sadly I think the UK is middle of the pack in terms of countries facing turmoil.

Record floods and droughts across the world, crop failures, mainland Europe faces running out of energy if there's a cold snap. There's just too much happening the world over to even notice a fraction of it. Things seem to have changed for good and no going back to the normal.

The UK has a ridiculous leadship debate with the two candidates people least wanted fighting for it meanwhile labour are telling people not to join a picket line and tying themselves up in knots over how to define a woman.

Last edited:
Reactions: 36
Freind has interesting problem with latest bill.

She was away most July only at home 5 days.
Away 4 weeks
Had £76 electricity bill plus £14 standing charges
4 bed semi detached 1990s build.
Utility warehouse variable
Could you realistically use this much electricity in 5 days?

Further investigation seems to be possibly they entered a meter read that the customer have not given them as the numbers are different shes worried they done this before.
They use roughly 500 units per month family of 3 and they have a hot tub and pay £241 per month and are in credit.

We submit both meter reads to octopus monthly .
We pay £266 per month but only really got into credit over summer months.

Reactions: 1
I actually want to cry now. We seriously can not afford £500 a month in energy costs. This is affecting my MH so badly. I seriously just want to stop the world and get off.
It's gone up again?! We are average use so will be around £415 a month, I was paying £60 last year. I don't know how I'll afford that

• Sad
Reactions: 11
What is classed as average use? Is that 2 adults and 2 children? I live in a 2 bed house with my 8 year old.

Reactions: 3
It's gone up again?! We are average use so will be around £415 a month, I was paying £60 last year. I don't know how I'll afford that
I turned over the TV so many times yesterday as I couldn’t face hearing about it over and over. We have a fairly decent household income but have outgoings to match. These jumps are scary 😟

What is classed as average use? Is that 2 adults and 2 children? I live in a 2 bed house with my 8 year old.
I'm in a 2 bed new build, 1 adult 2 kids. My annual bill is around what they say the price cap is

I turned over the TV so many times yesterday as I couldn’t face hearing about it over and over. We have a fairly decent household income but have outgoings to match. These jumps are scary 😟
I'm anxious about it. We don't have much coming in

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I'm in a 2 bed new build, 1 adult 2 kids. My annual bill is around what they say the price cap is

I'm anxious about it. We don't have much coming in
That seems quite a lot for you and two kids and new builds are usually better insulated. I’m currently paying £107 a month.

That seems quite a lot for you and two kids and new builds are usually better insulated. I’m currently paying £107 a month.
It's the electric. E.on are saying gas is £355 (£98 of that is standing charges) and electric £1.5k (£180 is standing charges).
Gas could be cheaper as I think my front door has dropped so need to sort that out

• Sad
Reactions: 1
The mail has published a negative opinion piece on Martin's media appearances and people aren't happy
Screenshot_20220811-082834_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20220811-083050_Brave.jpg

I’m just wondering where it will all stop. It seems to just be increasing and increasing with no signs of ending. We are waiting on our new build and living with family so currently shielded from it as splitting bills but when we move into our house it will basically be a total surprise as to what our bill is. When we sold our house in July last year we were paying £90 a month for 2 adults and one child in a 3 bed detached house. Our new build we will have an extra child but it is mid terraced and has solar panels so I’m hoping that will help. £400 a month eats up a lot of our spare income so while we can technically afford it (with a major effect on our lifestyle) I don’t know how much more we could afford. What if it goes up to £6000 a year? Then £8000? Considering the cap in January will be 4 times what it was last year it seems possible 😢 do we just keep going until it’s £15k a year and everyone loses their homes?!

• Heart
  • Sad
I don't mind ML and the MSE website is a great resource, but I can see him eventually facing the same backlash as Jack Monroe if he doesn't rein it in.

Reactions: 13
I don't think it'll keep on going up indefinitely, Russia can't keep funding the war as they'll be out of money in 18 months. EU support for Ukraine is reducing and I wouldn't be suprised if they started to push for a settlement to bring prices falling before the winter started.

If anyone had of said the gas price would rise this much earlier in the year people would have laughed at them.

1660213489634.png

I do think the ridicous price of housing in the UK has to stop. The unsustainable low interest rates have carried on these prices for over a decade. A healthy economy needs house prices in line with earnings.

Reactions: 16
Just been and bought my son's school shoes, he had to have a pair from the men's section as he has outgrown the kids section 😱 £65!! I thought £50-55. Fingers crossed his feet don't grow this school year and he can make them last all year. I don't even spend that on my own shoes.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
OK no idea of helpful at all but been worrying me.
Husband usually deals with energy but he doesn't always drill down.
I wanted to know what average is is it units used or average price bill paid.
We have such a wide variety of housing stock in the UK.
I would assume a new build be better insulated than my 1930s terrace.
I just want to know a ball park price and work out how to lower consumption as that's more the issue than gas for us..

Octopus have been very helpful and they have something called crystal ball predictions I assume they apply the guestimaded % onto to the biil.
We moved to Octopus in 2020 and were on 80 dual fuel per month fixed once that ended it crept up to £118 then £177
April £246.
No idea what could be October as we in some credit.
Maybe £292?
But predicted dec and jan bill of £400, is scary im hoping its worst case and not that as last years dec / jan was no where near that.

I have messaged them via twitter to query some of this they say typically dec and jan bills always high,?
Unless I have a million Xmas lights not sure how.

I think its bit unfair backlash against Martin Lewis hes trying too tell them to act now.
Before its too late as it is time sensitive.
Of course tories and right wing press moan when truss was asked by a right wing Journalist about it yesterday she said he was being left wing. He works talk tv murdoch and she blame the media.
Its not the media energy is so high or Martin Lewis.

Attachments

OK no idea of helpful at all but been worrying me.
Husband usually deals with energy but he doesn't always drill down.
I wanted to know what average is is it units used or average price bill paid.
We have such a wide variety of housing stock in the UK.
I would assume a new build be better insulated than my 1930s terrace.
I just want to know a ball park price and work out how to lower consumption as that's more the issue than gas for us..

Octopus have been very helpful and they have something called crystal ball predictions I assume they apply the guestimaded % onto to the biil.
We moved to Octopus in 2020 and were on 80 dual fuel per month fixed once that ended it crept up to £118 then £177
April £246.
No idea what could be October as we in some credit.
Maybe £292?
But predicted dec and jan bill of £400, is scary im hoping its worst case and not that as last years dec / jan was no where near that.

I have messaged them via twitter to query some of this they say typically dec and jan bills always high,?
Unless I have a million Xmas lights not sure how.

I think its bit unfair backlash against Martin Lewis hes trying too tell them to act now.
Before its too late as it is time sensitive.
Of course tories and right wing press moan when truss was asked by a right wing Journalist about it yesterday she said he was being left wing. He works talk tv murdoch and she blame the media.
Its not the media energy is so high or Martin Lewis.
They say December higher purely for the fact people take time off work, kids off school and probably home with the heating on or other appliances.
we switch almost everything off after using it, only the tv and broadband stay on all day but might start switching that off too if it makes a difference. I have unlimited data on my phone so no problem with internet access through the night.
When I worked out my monthly usage by units per month I couldn’t see a massive difference each month for electricity, it was gas that went up high over Xmas. There’s only 2 of us and a dog in a 3 bed semi.
8E190A38-0A38-4810-B7FA-D976BB5D3DE9.jpeg

They say December higher purely for the fact people take time off work, kids off school and probably home with the heating on or other appliances.
we switch almost everything off after using it, only the tv and broadband stay on all day but might start switching that off too if it makes a difference. I have unlimited data on my phone so no problem with internet access through the night.
But the kids only have 2 weeks off in December.
Granted in winter we maybe use more lighting and perhaps the drier.
I can't see my consumption of energy being different this dec and jan than price but the monthly price has double which means £200, plus extra is just in rises not actual use within a 12 month period.

Another freind had issues getting on edf website this morning saying we really busy then said was down for maintenance which seems odd on a working day.
Maybe it crashed.

I was hoping we were not the average and we would be lower now im not so sure and neither are the energy companies until rise is officially announced.

We can absorb maybe another 100 rise as I return to work but husband has pay cut in jan and we have a large tax bill to pay off due to covid lockdowns and putting him on wrong tax code not sure why thats our fault.
I can see us having zero disposable income in 2023.
Another year no holiday we dideny go this
yeat last year.
We seldom go out or have takeaway but may need to reveiw them
We would by some miracle have to trim grocery budget down it puts us at critical point.

This will impact on so much even the well paid we 40% tax bracket cutting back.
Can see it being a awful Xmas for retail and hospitality.
Many if them make a huge % annual trade at Xmas.
I can see not many works partys
People buying less presents and spending less on food.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
As we are on a pre pay meter we've always had a good idea of daily usage costs.
Electric is usually same price all Year for us, & ours hasn't changed as past couple of Weeks i'm finally on new rates( as I stockedup March 31)
Gas last Winter we had some Days it was £4.50 & higher but past few Months we've hardly spent Money. So i'm hoping it'll even out.
I saw a oodie dupe on Amazon that i'm going to buy though & we're going to get the Chimney sweeped so we can use that again.

On my local fb groups i've seen quite a few mention if they need to cut down, 1 of the first things will be their cleaner.
And it just got me thinking about how many cleaners will lose clients & then struggle even more

• Heart
Reactions: 9
On my local fb groups i've seen quite a few mention if they need to cut down, 1 of the first things will be their cleaner.
And it just got me thinking about how many cleaners will lose clients & then struggle even more
It's the knock on effects that concern me. People lose income, make cuts, then others lose income, make cuts and so it goes on.

I'm quite concerned for the small businesses in my town.

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.