Diaphragm

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m still on a journey to find suitable non hormonal contraception for me!
I’m thinking of getting a diaphragm and using that in combination with natural cycles and the withdrawal method
Has anyone got any experience of using diaphragms? Particular brands? Where did you get it (in the UK)? And what spermicides did you use with it? Any and all advice/comments appreciated

I’ve never used one and don’t know anyone who has, if you’ve decided on a diaphragm, you might be better using condoms as they are easier to put on.

I would get the fear of not inserting it correctly or forgetting to take it out!

Hopefully someone can give you some personal experience.

I don’t use hormones, I have a copper coil have you tried/considered that?

I’ve never used one and don’t know anyone who has, if you’ve decided on a diaphragm, you might be better using condoms as they are easier to put on.

I would get the fear of not inserting it correctly or forgetting to take it out!

Hopefully someone can give you some personal experience.

I don’t use hormones, I have a copper coil have you tried/considered that?
I was considering a copper coil and added myself to the waiting list for one (which is currently 3-6 months!!!) but I heard so many horror stories from people I know that I’ve chickened out of having it

- extreme pain on insertion, extremely heavy bleeding which resulted in anaemia, painful periods and pain during sex

Also everyone I spoke to said it was a nightmare to get removed and they basically had to beg the GP/clinics to remove it

It’s extremely frustrating how women are treated in healthcare re contraception but that’s another rant for another day

I was considering a copper coil and added myself to the waiting list for one (which is currently 3-6 months!!!) but I heard so many horror stories from people I know that I’ve chickened out of having it

- extreme pain on insertion, extremely heavy bleeding which resulted in anaemia, painful periods and pain during sex

Also everyone I spoke to said it was a nightmare to get removed and they basically had to beg the GP/clinics to remove it

It’s extremely frustrating how women are treated in healthcare re contraception but that’s another rant for another day
I’m in Scotland so not sure about waiting times etc, I can have mine in or out whenever I choose.

I have had a coil since 2015 and had no issues with heavy bleeding etc until last year but I don’t think the coil is to blame.

It wasn’t really painful getting it inserted, just a bit crampy, they can also use anaesthetic gel on insertion.

Just remember with things you read or hear, people only ever talk about the negatives, same with pregnancy people love to give you the dramas and horror stories.

I would say give it a try, I wouldn’t ever go back to taking the pill or another form or contraception.

I’m in Scotland so not sure about waiting times etc, I can have mine in or out whenever I choose.

I have had a coil since 2015 and had no issues with heavy bleeding etc until last year but I don’t think the coil is to blame.

It wasn’t really painful getting it inserted, just a bit crampy, they can also use anaesthetic gel on insertion.

Just remember with things you read or hear, people only ever talk about the negatives, same with pregnancy people love to give you the dramas and horror stories.

I would say give it a try, I wouldn’t ever go back to taking the pill or another form or contraception.
Sorry to butt in, I’ve been thinking about having the coil and been reading into it, I keep getting put off by the strings. But no one really talks about them, also can you feel it in there? Sorry they are really silly questions but my stumbling points

Sorry to butt in, I’ve been thinking about having the coil and been reading into it, I keep getting put off by the strings. But no one really talks about them, also can you feel it in there? Sorry they are really silly questions but my stumbling points
Hey!

It’s not a silly question at all,You’re meant to be able to insert a finger and feel the strings but I’ve never been able to. My partner did say when I first got it he could feel the strings but after my 6 week check they trimmed them and he never mentioned it again.

I definitely can’t feel it in there, I think if you can feel it, it’s not inserted correctly.

Any other questions just ask 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Just to jump in with my two pence. Also in Scotland and got the coil inserted two months ago. Aside from the initial insertion pain, some cramping and some light (and I mean hella light) bleeding, I've felt nothing. I felt the strings once, never since. I couldn't believe how small it actually was. I don't know what I was expecting but when she showed me it at the appointment I was surprised!

What I would say is I've definitely noticed a change in my mood since insertion. I was sleeping poorly, my mood up and down etc whilst on the pill but since insertion I'm sleeping better, I feel more energised and my mood is a LOT brighter.

Everyone is different of course but I wish I'd done this years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Thanks both for sharing your experiences of the cool, I will rethink it!

Can I ask did you have the copper or the hormonal coil?

I had the mirena. I was given the option but the mirena with its light (to no) bleeding won out for me over the copper which kept up regular periods, and I was advised they could often be very heavy.

I had the copper coil, twice. The first time was ok, a bit crampy, the second one was quite painful but I have to say I also wasn't very positive it was the right choice for me as my then partner and I hadn't had sex in 6 months and I was positive things weren't going to change. I think my mental attitude played a big role in how painful it was to have inserted.

Side effects wise, my periods were pretty heavy, 4 to 5 days long, and a lot of cramping initially but after a couple of years that got better. Now, without coil, its 3 days of light bleeding.

I think if you want hormonal free contraception that is 99.6% safe, go for the coil. A diaphragm needs to be combined with spermicide and that has its own side effects on your vaginal health and ph balance, and is only 89% effective if I have my stats right.

Or, if you feel confident that you know how to use them correctly (!), condoms are as effective as the coil.