Derry Girls

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love Derry Girls but I'm from N.I. (and close to Derry actually) and was surprised at how many people love the show round the world! I've met Americans on holiday and that's what we got to chatting about - one of them admitted she needed subtitles.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Love Derry Girls but I think a lot of the humour is very Northern Irish and takes being from Northern Ireland to appreciate/understand so I always wondered how it was so successful on a national level? Genuine question - just interested to hear from others.
I find it hilarious and have never been. I'm interested in different places' varying types of humour though.

I love derry girls n I live in N.Ireland. I've a friend in America and when I was trying to explain what N.I was like I told her to watch Derry girls. I had to explain some differences between the derry girls and me.
(Like when they were leaving derry cus of the parades I had to explain to my friend that I wouldve been watching those parades not escaping them!) But she loves it!

Reactions: 1
I love Derry Girls but I'm from N.I. (and close to Derry actually) and was surprised at how many people love the show round the world! I've met Americans on holiday and that's what we got to chatting about - one of them admitted she needed subtitles.
Have you got your O'Neill's jersey they've a great Derry Girl's range :ROFLMAO:
82959096_10159322681088502_7024273542065684480_o.jpg

Last edited:
Such a fantastic soundtrack and genuinely funny series, really heartwarming in places too!

Reactions: 1
I think there is a lot of people, particularly where I’m from ( greater London) and other cities up north with strong Irish links. Everyone in my friendship group at school ( girls and boys) had atleast Irish grandparents if not parents. So I guess there is a lot to relate to there x

Love Derry Girls but I think a lot of the humour is very Northern Irish and takes being from Northern Ireland to appreciate/understand so I always wondered how it was so successful on a national level? Genuine question - just interested to hear from others.
I think it’s down to a mix of reasons. 1990s nostalgia has got big recently because the people who were young then are at a kind of nostalgia stage, especially those with kids (reminiscing on their own childhoods/teenagehoods as they see them grow up). Also, the ‘90s are in fashion with the younger generation and in a relatively unaltered way - they tend to wear real vintage pieces or decent modern copies, compared to the bastardised modern versions of previous eras. I’m actually taken aback at times when seeing teens dressed like this, almost feels like being taken back in time if you ignore the smartphones! Basically, I think a 1990s-based show was always going to be appealing in the current climate due to people’s renewed interest in the decade

Secondly, I think the fact it’s set in NI is a breath of fresh air. A lot of the series and films consumed in the U.K. are American, and even if they’re U.K.-based they tend to be English. I don’t think I know of another series set in NI whereas there are plenty of English, and a couple of Scottish and Welsh too. Literally cannot think of a single one (not counting Game of Thrones as that’s just the filming location). Anyway, the NI setting is a bit different, the dialect and cultural aspects are educational but more importantly entertaining. I can understand why Derry Girls was a hit outside of NI when it’s quite different to the usual offerings

My ex was from NI, as well as a couple of my friends, so I was familiar with the accent and a lot of the dialect / cultural references. The English friends I watched it with didn’t have much knowledge aside from a vague understanding of the Troubles. They could figure out some of the jokes etc but even when they couldn’t, they tended to laugh along at the absurdity. I’m the same - I don’t know a lot about pop culture but if someone makes a joke like “he’s got the feet of Joe Bloggs” I’ll be amused anyway at the concept of the joke rather than understanding it myself (maybe I’m weird 🙃 )

Sorry for the essay, hope it makes sense

Reactions: 2
Hope nobody minds me bringing this thread back up bc I just rewatched series 1&2 because I cannot wait til series 3!
I'm American and I accidentally came across this show while actually trying to click on another show on Netflix. I don't even remember what I was originally trying to watch because that scene with Erin and her mom talking about Macaulay Culkin divorcing his parents just had me and I knew I had to keep on watching. I had to turn on the subtitles though, and pause a lot to look up words on urban dictionary haha. I find it refreshing because it's so funny without having to be gross or dumb down any of its jokes for its audience. I know the show has gotten immensely popular outside of N.I. but I really hope they retain their Northern Irish-ness because that's a huge part of the draw.

Reactions: 7
I don't think it would ever lose it's culture that's what it was written for . Lisa McGee is Derry born and bred it's based on her adolescence ,I've heard her say Erin is based on her younger self 😂

Reactions: 3
Love Derry Girls; shame there's been such a long gap between series. Excellent soundtrack as well.

Reactions: 4
the person who plays granda joe, says it will be back in april. im hoping we get the trailer soon :)

Reactions: 5
Series 3 should be coming soon - I’m from Derry & seen them filming up the walls in November.

Reactions: 5
Can't wait for S3! They NEED to bring out a "Now That's What I Call Derry Girls" Album 🎶

I re-watched the Bake Off episode the other day "My favourite kind of champagne.... unbranded" 🤣 Legend!

Reactions: 7
i hoping as tomorrow is st patricks day, the trailer and start date night be released!! just me optimistic

• Heart
Reactions: 6