Depression - music aversion?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is gonna sound so strange. I’ve been googling but can’t find many answers.

I’ve been bad with depression since last August and since then I just can’t stand music. Not just sad songs, any music I just can’t stand to hear.

No matter what I just link it back to the horrible experience in August and it destroys me. I’m muting the tv when music comes on.

I couldn’t sleep so thought a bit of Peter Kay would brighten me up. Put Car Share on, forgetting how much music is a part of it - that’s a big fat nope for me at the moment.

I used to listen to music all the time. Now it’s murder podcasts I’m listening to while cleaning the house 😳

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this? I’ve had depression before but this is new.

Reactions: 1

I’ve been bad with depression since last August and since then I just can’t stand music. Not just sad songs, any music I just can’t stand to hear.

No matter what I just link it back to the horrible experience in August and it destroys me. I’m muting the tv when music comes on.

I couldn’t sleep so thought a bit of Peter Kay would brighten me up. Put Car Share on, forgetting how much music is a part of it - that’s a big fat nope for me at the moment.

I used to listen to music all the time. Now it’s murder podcasts I’m listening to while cleaning the house 😳

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this? I’ve had depression before but this is new.
Do you think it could be linked to post traumatic stress? Like you are associating the songs with bad experiences, so now you feel you can’t face them anymore? Just a thought. I’ve not experienced it, but sounds like the avoidance you get with ptsd.

I practically stopped watching TV for the same reasons. I probably manage an episode or two of something a month.....it's the noise...it's somehow too much for my brain? Hard to describe....I just need silence. Can't tolerate podcasts or music either.

I am missing out on so much I'm sure..

Reactions: 3
Oh my....after I split with my ex, it was an emotionally abusive relationship, I couldn't listen to music for about a year afterwards. It was the same thing in that it didn't have to be sad songs...any song. I just couldn't stand the sound of music. It would make me feel panicky. I think I had been so overwhelmed by the ups and downs of the relationship, that I couldn't stand anything that was in anyway emotive.

What about silence? Could it be that you're using podcasts/tv to drown out thoughts, and music might bring thoughts up, which could be a worry as it might lead to negative ones? Would be interesting to know if silence does the same or if it's just music.

I have experienced something similar for the last couple of years and although I’m sorry you are struggling thank you for starting this thread and making me feel like there is someone out there like me 💓 Previously I really enjoyed music of all different genres but I’ve not listened to any of them out of choice for years. The only music I can listen to is classical and I have no idea why (and it’s not something I listened to much before but now classic FM and BBC radio 3 are the only ones tuned in on my car radio). Maybe it’s something to do with lyrics, but like you it doesn’t matter if the words are happy/ sad/ silly/ romantic I just can’t stand it. I don’t mind snippets of background music in shows but if it’s an integral part of a plot or characters start singing etc I have to hit mute. Weird and has been worrying me for a while but I haven’t solved it yet.

Also, now I come to think of it I couldn’t stand to listen to foreign language music so maybe it’s the act of people singing? But not playing instruments? Ugh my mind is so weird and frustrating me!!

I’m not sure if it’s the same thing but I suffer from sensory overload quite a lot and can’t stand loud, repetitive or persistent noise and I start to panic with it, especially when it’s multiple noise sources, my brain just seems to stop being able to process everything else and the noise overwhelms me to the point of a very heightened state of anxiety. It’s not specifically music but that is a big part of it.

CBT has helped me learn coping techniques to deal with it and ear plugs too.

Reactions: 4

THIS!!! I once went on a date and told the guy that I couldn't stand music because I feel like it is "raping me" into an emotion that I don't want to feel, that I just want to be alone with my thoughts, in control of my mood. Never saw him again after that :D Now, after 8 years, I started listening again, but only to songs which are very optimistic and mellow, e.g. California by Ed Prosek.
I still prefer podcasts though. The murder ones are my favorite, especially Dateline ;)

• Haha
I am the same but with TV at the moment, can’t bare to watch nearly everything and it’s all related to post traumatic stress for sure! My partner has got a build up of stuff he would like to watch with me but I just cannot face any of it. The brain sure is odd, hope you are okay OP xx

I’m exactly the same and have been when I’ve had other traumatic experiences over the years. Life is so tough right now 😔

I have CPTSD (along with a tit ton of other issues as a result of it!) and I find this sometimes. My therapist (I still see her) says it's because your brain might be on high alert so any kind of noise in the background makes you feel unsafe because it's "filling up your head" and not leaving any room to hear something threatening?

The other thing is sometimes I'm just too restless or miserable to hear noise. It's almost like I don't have the energy or focus for it. It's easier just to sit in silence cause there's no effort in it!

Sending lots of love xxxx

Reactions: 5
I have CPTSD (along with a tit ton of other issues as a result of it!) and I find this sometimes. My therapist (I still see her) says it's because your brain might be on high alert so any kind of noise in the background makes you feel unsafe because it's "filling up your head" and not leaving any room to hear something threatening?

The other thing is sometimes I'm just too restless or miserable to hear noise. It's almost like I don't have the energy or focus for it. It's easier just to sit in silence cause there's no effort in it!

Sending lots of love xxxx
That makes a lot of sense, I love that theory.

I haven't experienced an aversion to music, but I found the thread interesting because it's something I've never heard of.

Could it be that the current political and health climate of the world has a lot of people in a subconscious heightened state?

I’m a bit late to the party here, but I finally Googled “aversion to music” and this thread popped up and feels very relevant to me. I’ve been experiencing this since 2012 when the Sandy Hook incident happened, which was down the road from me at the time. So I’m sure for me it’s partly PTSD and the heavy depression associated with it. Every song I heard I would link it back to that incident somehow. Prior to that I was an avid music collector, and I’ve been a musician for 30 years, so it’s been difficult to not enjoy music as it was always a big part of my life. I’ve suffered from misophonia too since I was around 10 or 11, and I think it has gotten worse over the years, to the point where certain people’s voices anger me. As well, I’ve always had pretty bad anxiety and drank heavily as a result. So it seems there’s a lot of factors. I’ve tried, but really haven’t listened to anything but NPR for the last 9 years.

Not sure how this ties in, but the thought of listening to music alone also really disinterests me.
Especially if it’s an old song. It feels lonely, and I can’t get past the first 30 seconds or so.