Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

stardust21

VIP Member
I’m really sorry, but I am just about to get on my soap box and have a good old rant…

I hate “yOuR oNlY JealOus” arguments. The fact is, I’m privileged and I know it. I’m in my late 20’s yet own my own house. I have a job that pays well and I enjoy. I have disposable income that means I can go to restaurants as expensive as Ella’s and do other things with my friends. None of this is meant as a gloat or whatever, I just mean that I am perfectly happy with the life I have and don’t particularly want Ella’s.

And honestly this is why Ella frustrates me. My household income is higher than the average, and I don’t have any children. Yet eating the way Ella does would be so costly for me. All organic (she has spoken a lot about “the dirty dozen” in the past). No ultra-processed foods etc is incredibly expensive. I do buy organic fruit and veg because of the pesticides ruining the insect population but the only reason I can afford to do this is because I am privileged. I wouldn’t be able to do it if I had 3 children for example and I needed to pay for their nurseries, clothing etc. I wouldn’t be able to do it if I was earning 18k and having to support myself fully.

There is a major issue in our food supply chain that means that eating majority fruit and veg diets, especially organic, is out of reach for most people. The average household in the UK is 2.4 people and the average food spend is £97 per week, which includes eating out. A meal at Ella’s restaurant will set you back £70/£80 for two people. That’s nearly the average households entire weekly food spend on one meal.

Fruit and veg cost nearly 50% more per calorie than ultra processed foods. If you have a limited amount of money to dedicate to food, of course you will opt for buying a readymeal for £2 instead of spending your income on multiple ingredients to make a meal.

That is completely forgetting about people who are time poor, and people who do not have education on the pros and cons of eating processed foods. It’s also a complete disregard for the fact that companies like Coke, McDonalds, Dominos and other major food manufacturers spend billions manipulating food to make people crave it. The Van Tulleken Dr Brothers have done an absolutely fantastic podcast on this which actually discusses all of the barriers people face.

For Ella to preach about the environmental impacts of meat and processed foods etc, is in my opinion really fucking shitty. Simply because she does absolutely nothing to alter the obstacles that exist for most people. She has 2million followers on Instagram, she could easily be running campaigns to help improve public health diet. But all she wants to do is latch on to the latest popular thing to say so her audience boots her ego.

She doesn’t give a fuck about the environment. She’s made it perfectly clear her diet was completely based on health benefits. She doesn’t give a fuck about people otherwise she would acknowledge and try to help people who can’t access what she has…

All in all, slating Ella doesn’t mean you’re jealous of her. I slate Boris Johnson all the time and I’m not jealous of him 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Becclo44

VIP Member
‘Matt was the best birthing partner, feeding me coconut water and peanut butter’. Pahaha this made me laugh so much. I’m sorry but omg, fuck off you pretentious twat 😂

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 36

Yel

Chatty Member
She's full of shit.

Pretending she accidentally found fame through a blog when it was carefully (and expensively) orchestrated.

The disease she claims to have cured herself from by eating dates and cashews is totally unprovable according to a lecturer I know that works in the area.

She helped popularise lots of recipes that existed a long time before her and take the credit for them. Money attracts money and it's all about who you know.

I (against my will) went to one of her delis ages ago that's behind Selfridge's and the food was basic but very overpriced. Didn't have a cake as they were all uncovered and fly's were buzzing on top of them - the rude staff didn't care though.

She's married to Tessa Jowells investment banker son. I don't even think she cares much about the food, it's just a niche to use and make money.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Anyone else find her nauseating and irritating? I used to really like her up until the past few years. She acts holier than thou because she is vegan. She seems like the type of person who will be an anti-vaxxer. If it wasn't for the fact that her father was a Tory politician (Tim Sainsbury) and her grandfather the owner of Sainsbury's (Lord Sainsbury) she probably wouldn't have got so far. It definitely helps when you have connections. I mean, for god's sake, this is on her father's wikipedia page:

"in the Sunday Times Rich List 2008 his family fortune was estimated at £1.3 billion." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Sainsbury

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

Chocolate2008

VIP Member
i see a lot of comments showing resentment for both Ella and Livia coming from wealthy backgrounds, it’s strange, we all utilise connections in everyday life; try to get a backstage pass at a concert, try to get your child into a prestigious school, try to network and introduce yourself at a business function etc, I personally have no issue if both women used who they/their parents know alongside finance from the family to grow their businesses, surely any parent would want to help their child succeed? There are many case studies of trust fund babies never working a day in their life and living off handouts, and I find it distasteful for wealth to be bragged about, if either had flaunted million pound apartments and mentioned mummy is a Sainsbury every month we’d have all called them out for arrogance, yet not flaunting the wealth disparity is also criticised, it feels a little damned if they do damned if they don’t.... which is probably why both of them mention at least twice a week how they are multitasking powerforce founder mama superheroes that work 100 hour days and sleep in a box under their desk (just kidding, sleep is for losers) They both feel like they need to prove that they’re worthy of their station, that being a “founder and CEO” is something they worked hard for, they deserve to be stood at the top.... and they’re right. I don’t agree with the business decisions that have been made recently, the time away from children, the unblinking selfie stare and the constant forced happiness mixed with equally forced attempts to be down to earth.... there’s a lot for me to dislike, but I have to admit for all their faults both women have worked hard and done some long hours to get to where they are today, regardless of the connections they used to help along the way that is an accolade worthy of praise.

Saying that though I’m one Instagram story away from turning Livia’s “founder and ceo” catchphrase into a drinking game, it’s truly impressive where she can shoehorn it in!
I have to say I don’t resent them. But to counter what you said, there’s a young woman who makes amazing cakes which she sells at my local farmer’s market. She does wedding cakes as well as she stands out a mile. I follow her on Instagram & she appears to work at least 6 days a weeks doing long days. She studied a culinary course for 4 years. If she has multi weddings in a day she drives around the country herself doing deliveries dealing with the stress of heat melting cakes etc.

Ella & Matt have had a lot of success & no doubt do work hard. But Ella tends to portray herself as just like everyone else. I’d find it more genuine if she didn’t say things like Matt had to mortgage his flat as security without mentioning all the family support that was clearly made available to her.

The lady i mentioned works incredibly hard but she will never have the kind of success Ella & Olivia have had because she comes form an ordinary background. If she decided to launch a similar range tomorrow she’d have to go begging to a bank, & if she was somewhat successful & wanted to keep going she’d probably have to give guarantees to the bank. She is 24 living with her parents & the bakery appears to be in their back garden. So her parents are helping her but they can’t buy her a gorgeous flat & inspirational lifestyle that gave Ella a backdrop for her books etc. Ella also will never have to worry about being made bankrupt or losing the roof over her head.

It’s about acknowledging that, yes by all means be the boss lady CEO but it would be more genuine if they acknowledged they didn’t get there purely through hard graft. There’s a difference between bragging about being an heir & simply saying I was/am so lucky to have had family support. The connections Ella has are mind blowing in terms of getting to supply chains & getting into supermarkets. I’d have more respect for her if she acknowledged that as well as telling us how hard they work. How hard they work is a fraction of the picture, but she’s not upfront in any way about that as far as I have seen.

Reactions: 27

Pegsypog

‘Matt was the best birthing partner, feeding me coconut water and peanut butter’. Pahaha this made me laugh so much. I’m sorry but omg, fuck off you pretentious twat 😂
My hubby was the best birth partner feeding me mars bars between insults and “Don’t touch me”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26

Pegsypog

She definitely needs to stop this “look at us how hard we work” because even if they do (or not, I don’t know, we only see a fraction of their day on insta and you can portray what you want) they have the choice to delegate and still be super well off.
It’s quite offensive for her staff (chefS, waiters, cleaning staff) who don’t have a choice but to work hard and still having 0.1% of the wealth she has.
I said this before, it doesn’t make her a saint working hard but if she really wants to do something great she should demonstrate that she offers her staff a great life balance, above average salary and other perks like that.
Yes you work hard Ella but you may be the only benefitting from this so get off the pedestal

• Heart
Reactions: 25

stardust21

VIP Member
I have to say I don’t resent them. But to counter what you said, there’s a young woman who makes amazing cakes which she sells at my local farmer’s market. She does wedding cakes as well as she stands out a mile. I follow her on Instagram & she appears to work at least 6 days a weeks doing long days. She studied a culinary course for 4 years. If she has multi weddings in a day she drives around the country herself doing deliveries dealing with the stress of heat melting cakes etc.

Ella & Matt have had a lot of success & no doubt do work hard. But Ella tends to portray herself as just like everyone else. I’d find it more genuine if she didn’t say things like Matt had to mortgage his flat as security without mentioning all the family support that was clearly made available to her.

The lady i mentioned works incredibly hard but she will never have the kind of success Ella & Olivia have had because she comes form an ordinary background. If she decided to launch a similar range tomorrow she’d have to go begging to a bank, & if she was somewhat successful & wanted to keep going she’d probably have to give guarantees to the bank. She is 24 living with her parents & the bakery appears to be in their back garden. So her parents are helping her but they can’t buy her a gorgeous flat & inspirational lifestyle that gave Ella a backdrop for her books etc. Ella also will never have to worry about being made bankrupt or losing the roof over her head.

It’s about acknowledging that, yes by all means be the boss lady CEO but it would be more genuine if they acknowledged they didn’t get there purely through hard graft. There’s a difference between bragging about being an heir & simply saying I was/am so lucky to have had family support. The connections Ella has are mind blowing in terms of getting to supply chains & getting into supermarkets. I’d have more respect for her if she acknowledged that as well as telling us how hard they work. How hard they work is a fraction of the picture, but she’s not upfront in any way about that as far as I have seen.
You have put this so well.

I am not jealous or envious of her privilege but I do think it’s incredibly insincere to not own it. I don’t particularly care she has a Nanny, I think it’s good she’s admitted it if anything.

She use to claim it was almost a mistake that her blog became so big and successful. When the reality is really different:

- she got posted about in a lot of press due to the sob story and the connections she has with people in the media. The fact she even knew she had to have a story of adversity to be noticed is probably on advice from others. That’s not me saying I don’t believe her etc, I’m just saying that it’s not a coincidence that all the original press about her focused on how this “sugar junkie” gave up her addiction, cured her ailments and now you can do the same. Just look at her first books which are filled with photos of her, and her glossy lifestyle, which is unusual for cookbooks.

- DE originally sold a lifestyle via Instagram and people followed her for aspiration. She acted like a girl next door who had all this success (beautiful flat, multiple holidays a year, expensive gym memberships etc) all of the back of starting “a little blog from her university kitchen”. That lifestyle came about from her wealth not her blog and making people think otherwise isn’t fair on them tbh.

- she was able to film videos in stunning settings because a) her Mums house is stunning and b) as soon as she left university she was gifted a 1.5million pound flat in London with a brand new kitchen specifically designed to sell a look and a certain instagramable aspirational lifestyle. She’s had photo shoots done in her Mums walled gardens etc etc. All of these things are a privilege that most people can’t access.

- she never had to worry about going to find a job to fund her rent or enterprise because she knew if it didn’t work out her parents would back her with housing and money support.

- despite not making a load of money from her blog she was able to pay an assistant to help her, taking some of the work load off her and giving her someone to bounce ideas off etc

- she was able to get advice on marketing etc from people in the know for free due to her family’s friends and connections.

- her first YouTube videos were all professionally filmed, she never had the juddery rubbish that most people start with. She never had to edit them etc which means they looked a lot better so got more traction.

- the fact is, it was easier for her to get her products into supermarkets then it was for most people due to family connections. That’s just a fact. It doesn’t mean she didn’t also work hard to get them there. But the path was far less windy for her then it was for the average joe with a new idea.

- her family invested into the business. Most people do not have a family they can turn to, to invest in their business to the tune of 100,000’s.

None of this is to say she didn’t work hard. But for an awful lot of people, working hard will not get them to where Ella is now. They will have so many more roadblocks and obstacles along the way. She never acknowledges this, and when I followed her was always at pains to prove how hard she works and how her success is driven from her own skill set. And while the brand would not be a success if she hadn’t worked hard, it is incredibly disingenuous for her to act like that’s the ONLY reason she’s got to where she is now. It isn’t. That’s just a fact.

New-casettes

All of this “we work every hour we can” and “it has to be early in this house” oh fuck off would you. It’s so damaging to say these things, ellas audience are likely quite vulnerable and overwhelmingly female. If they see that she’s getting “success” whilst working every hour they will compare themselves to her, and even if they’re working incredibly hard they likely won’t be at a comparable level.

This is due to the fact she was born into immeasurable money and business advice. That’s what’s got her where she is, not the fact that they’re wasting their youths and time with young children on this damaging folly.

No one else can do that.

It’s bad for mental health to see this on social media. For all that she claims to be trying to improve physical health this is awful for young women’s mental well-being and someone should have a word.

Unless, cynically, she’s doing this on purpose so that when people message saying they feel down she can direct them to her app, ergo more sales.

• Heart
I heard from someone who was at uni with her that she went to rehab a few times sent by her parents because she was so into drugs in Uni at St Andrews & that was her 'illness'

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22

New-casettes

I’ve always found her so Infuriatingly insincere and all of her food is so creamy, it’s like food for toddlers.

Don’t even get me started on her husband. They both look like they hatched from one of Gweneth Paltrow’s jade vagina eggs, complete with robotic, dead behind the eyes, stares.

• Haha

Meg78

VIP Member
So two years ago they had to close all but one deli and fire the staff because they were struggling financially, she made reference to them remortgaging their house for more money to pump into the business and asked people to support the one shop left..... but they’re now expanding it into a restaurant, at the same time they’re buying their own factory, have had several luxury holidays and also moved to a bigger house and can afford a full building renovation immediately? Wish my luck changed that quickly

• Wow

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Why do all the successful insta bloggers seem to come from glamorous or well connected backgrounds. 🤔
Their “brand” (or Instagram grid) just means they can sell ready meals or snack at triple the price of their counterparts.

Yel

Chatty Member
"I'm not a fan of celebrating the culture of stress and busyness."
Is she trying to pick her own title for thread #2?

Not sure it beats her wanky quote of "Matt was the best birthing partner, feeding me coconut water and peanut butter" :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 21

Hubrisand

Chatty Member
Can she go a day without posting about how hard she and/or her husband works and how ‘non stop’ their lives are?

• Haha
  • Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
The thing is neither of them were the first to invent this stuff, it's just nuts and dried fruit.

So one rich privileged girl managed to mass produce and get something in supermarkets nationwide before another, boo fucking hoo.

Both of them are about making money and there's limited space in the market for both with such similar products. Lavia seems annoyed that her empire is worth around £2 million while Ella's is estimated to be worth over £8 million. Get a grip. Both seem very competitive.

It's all a bit "there's people dying". But that's the thing about money, the more you have the more you want.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
Mills said the prospect of borrowing money from the bank to buy back full control of the brand had been 'daunting'

All this faux narrative along with talk of a family business as if she's like a mom and pop buisness. She's married to an investment banker and has loads of family and in law connections to financial institutions. It's like she's trying to play the part of a ditzy mum when she's part of the worlds super elite.

She hardly rocked up to the nationwide to get a loan. It probably made sense to borrow the money even if she had access to the cash because debt is so cheap. Maybe it was daunting in a way, but the figures must have stacked up on paper and that's why they've done it.

Reactions: 20