Debt Collectors

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A family member who previously lived at my address has failed to pay his road tax for the last three months. He has now been fined £80. I know that he will not make any effort to pay the fine and am worried that someone will come to more door to collect the money. I am absolutely not willing to pay this for him, and I believe he is wilfully not changing his address with the DVLA to avoid having to pay his fine.
Is there any action I can take to let them know he no longer lives here and for them not to come to my home?

I had bailiffs call to my door after my ex partner moved out a number of years ago. He had accumulated numerous debts. They asked for proof that he didn’t live at the address anymore. I provided them with a council tax bill with my name on it. They were satisfied with that and left. Never heard from them again.

Reactions: 4
I had bailiffs call to my door after my ex partner moved out a number of years ago. He had accumulated numerous debts. They asked for proof that he didn’t live at the address anymore. I provided them with a council tax bill with my name on it. They were satisfied with that and left. Never heard from them again.
That’s good to know! I have evidence he doesn’t live here anymore.

Reactions: 7
Was he on the electoral roll at your address? Normally people are traced through that however I would take preemptive steps if you receive any letters or demands. Contact the companies immediately to inform them they are no longer at that address and ask for an email address to follow it up in writing - and always request confirmation of receipt.

Reactions: 4
How do you know all this? Have you been opening the mail? Just return the post saying the addressee no longer lives there. If anyone comes, don't acknowledge that you've opened someone else's post and just use the evidence you have to prove they don't live there. In my experience, it's likely they won't show up for a very long time anyway. I say that as I moved into my house 18 months ago and someone knocked on the door last week to see someone who hadn't lived there for 2 years and I also helped a cousin out with a huge amount of debt he had ignored with some letters dating back over 2 years prior and noone had ever visited the property. If you have proof they don't live with you, then it'll be fine x

I had the same about three years ago letters kept arriving for some guy but my address,I sent back lots of letters saying no one with that name lived at my address,then one day a bailiff or may have been a police officer called,I showed him proof I lived in my flat (have done for over thirty years) my neighbour upstairs also confirmed that nobody of that name lived here,All Ok he said thanks.Probably the guy using the address just used a random address.

Reactions: 1
How do you know all this? Have you been opening the mail? Just return the post saying the addressee no longer lives there. If anyone comes, don't acknowledge that you've opened someone else's post and just use the evidence you have to prove they don't live there. In my experience, it's likely they won't show up for a very long time anyway. I say that as I moved into my house 18 months ago and someone knocked on the door last week to see someone who hadn't lived there for 2 years and I also helped a cousin out with a huge amount of debt he had ignored with some letters dating back over 2 years prior and noone had ever visited the property. If you have proof they don't live with you, then it'll be fine x
This is a rather bizarre response to my reply. Absolutely nowhere did I mention opening my ex partners post.

Reactions: 5
This is a rather bizarre response to my reply. Absolutely nowhere did I mention opening my ex partners post.
Well I was just asking how you knew he hadn't changed his address with the DVLA, hadn't paid the tax, had a fine and were worried about bailiffs if he is your ex partner and no longer lives with you. Not judging, just recommending you send the post back as a way of letting them know he doesn't live there anymore.

Reactions: 2
Well I was just asking how you knew he hadn't changed his address with the DVLA, hadn't paid the tax, had a fine and were worried about bailiffs if he is your ex partner and no longer lives with you. Not judging, just recommending you send the post back as a way of letting them know he doesn't live there anymore.
It appears that you have got me confused with the person who originally started the thread.

10 years ago I was in a 4 way house swap. The person whose house we was moving into was desperate to move within 2 weeks rather than the estimated 6 weeks.
Anyhow later when we did eventually move, it all became clear as to why there was a rush. The girl had run up loads of debt and couldn't pay.
I even had debt collectors on my doorstep, i showed them a copy of the 4 way house swap, my new tenancy and a passport. They was happy with that and left.
Going forward any post that was in her name i sent straight back or opened and phoned the company themselves with new address (before data protection came in). Its been 10 years now and we don't get any post for them at all. Have heard they have since moved again....

Hi, it’s not my ex partner. It’s my dad. I opened his mail because he asks me to open it and send pictures to him. I will not be doing this anymore as it is enabling him to avoid changing his address on things.
He is terrible (and I can’t state that enough!) with money so I don’t want him to be running up anymore debt but at the same time I can’t have people turning up at my door. I think I need to be strong and let him deal with the consequences by returning the post.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Hi, it’s not my ex partner. It’s my dad. I opened his mail because he asks me to open it and send pictures to him. I will not be doing this anymore as it is enabling him to avoid changing his address on things.
He is terrible (and I can’t state that enough!) with money so I don’t want him to be running up anymore debt but at the same time I can’t have people turning up at my door. I think I need to be strong and let him deal with the consequences by returning the post.
You also need to be careful because sounds like he won't have changed his address on his car documents. He can be fined £1,000 if he is caught. So he needs to change his driving licence, his log book (hence you are getting road tax reminders) and I would imagine his insurance details are incorrect. The police can fine him and his policy will be invalid. Sounds like his policy now is if driving without tax.

The Daily Mail, still reminding people of her behaviour over the years.

I bet the monthly mortgage repayments are far more today!

View attachment 1876943
Im 60. I’m on benefits. I owe just under 2000 in unpaid council tax. I have bayliffs at my door. My daughter accidentally answered. They terr her. The council attracted my benefit to get paid back. I offered volun to go to prison with a provision that if I did time in jail, when I leave after three months the debt is cleared. No. When you leave jail, the debt remains. What should I do?

Im 60. I’m on benefits. I owe just under 2000 in unpaid council tax. I have bayliffs at my door. My daughter accidentally answered. They terr her. The council attracted my benefit to get paid back. I offered volun to go to prison with a provision that if I did time in jail, when I leave after three months the debt is cleared. No. When you leave jail, the debt remains. What should I do?
You need to speak to the council. Don't Bury your head in the sand. Speak to them and come up with a payment plan.

At the very least speak to citizens advice bureau

The only thing you can do is arrange to pay. It's a bit of a myth that the debt is cancelled if you are sentenced to prison for non-payment. A judge can decide to order the council to cancel your debt but it is unlikely. If you are on an attachment of benefits, you won't be pursued for that particular notice period but you can be pursued for other notice periods. The council can stack your arrears in a queue so that when one attachment ends, the next debt automatically starts an attachment of benefits. As you are 60 and on benefits, you can also ask your council to return the debt to them from the bailiff, some councils have a policy where they won't send the debts to a bailiff if you are on benefits. If you are struggling financially, your council may do Discretionary Council Tax payments, these are often only for current year debts and not all councils offer this help but it's worth asking if yours does.