Deactivating/Deleting Social Media

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone else done it?

I do not have the Facebook or Twitter app on my phone. I deleted the apps years ago and it is so much better. I have the messenger app. If I didn't live overseas, I would delete it but I keep in touch with some family that way. I only use Facebook for our neighbourhood page. I basically unfollowed all friends on it so my timeline is empty.

I deactivated Instagram today. I unfollowed a lot of influencers a while back but in general I am just finding people's posts annoying. I spend too much time scrolling too. Not sure how long I will go without it. Hopefully I will read more books, haha.

Reactions: 25
Facebook went years ago and I have just unfollowed anyone who isn’t friends or family on Instagram. I’m not following anyone I don’t like in 2020.

Reactions: 12
I deleted all of my SM a year ago, only have my insta to stalk my teenager and nip in on a few “influencers” best thing I ever did. I have never looked back/

Reactions: 6
I am cheating a bit I suppose as I have most social media (Facebook, Twitter) - but Facebook is for family (stripped bare, anyone negative blocked) and twitter is for fandom related stuff. Instagram was really bringing my mental health down so I deactivated my main account and now only use a throwaway style one - don’t follow any influencers or family members, and only use it for a nose at Rebecca Lamb/Hinch/Louise Pentland Instagram stories - the rest is asmr. It helps because my feed isn’t filled with people and ‘things’ to miss out on. Ditto snapchat - I follow no one and only use it for filters. I find my Mental health has improved massively - I turned into some sort of jealous bitter witch with rock bottom self esteem and without them I was much better. My friends find it weird because they all talk to boys through snapchat and ‘omg how do you cope’ - very well actually because I CBA 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I am cheating a bit I suppose as I have most social media (Facebook, Twitter) - but Facebook is for family (stripped bare, anyone negative blocked) and twitter is for fandom related stuff. Instagram was really bringing my mental health down so I deactivated my main account and now only use a throwaway style one - don’t follow any influencers or family members, and only use it for a nose at Rebecca Lamb/Hinch/Louise Pentland Instagram stories - the rest is asmr. It helps because my feed isn’t filled with people and ‘things’ to miss out on. Ditto snapchat - I follow no one and only use it for filters. I find my Mental health has improved massively - I turned into some sort of jealous bitter witch with rock bottom self esteem and without them I was much better. My friends find it weird because they all talk to boys through snapchat and ‘omg how do you cope’ - very well actually because I CBA 😆
Ha. We have a pet Instagram account as family wanted photos and I didn't want to be uploading them to my main account. I still have that but barely follow any humans, mostly dogs. I actually just deleted the IG app too. I read you can upload via desktop now which I will just do for our pet account.

Reactions: 2
I deactivated facebook ages ago because it was really boring. Twitter is a tough one because I was heavily involved in a community for a couple of years, and still have loads of followers but it’s a very heated environment with lots of politics (which has spread to email and whatsapp groups) which was doing my head in, so I’m on an indefinite break, just drop in every couple of months to sat hi. I wish I could completely leave it behind but I feel like I’d be letting everyone down. I have insta but spend no more than 10-15 minutes on there a day, and I unfollow any account that makes me feel tit. The only thing I watch regularly these days is YT, but there I mostly follow useful accounts and have now unfollowed all but a couple of “influencers”.

Reactions: 3
I deactivated facebook ages ago because it was really boring. Twitter is a tough one because I was heavily involved in a community for a couple of years, and still have loads of followers but it’s a very heated environment with lots of politics (which has spread to email and whatsapp groups) which was doing my head in, so I’m on an indefinite break, just drop in every couple of months to sat hi. I wish I could completely leave it behind but I feel like I’d be letting everyone down. I have insta but spend no more than 10-15 minutes on there a day, and I unfollow any account that makes me feel tit. The only thing I watch regularly these days is YT, but there I mostly follow useful accounts and have now unfollowed all but a couple of “influencers”.
This is going to sound bad but I feel like i like SM less since family have been on it?! It seems to make them seem more narcissistic. I find the older people worse than younger.

• Haha
I stripped my facebook back to about 5 friends (old friends from home) , made everything private for only me to see and I have a unicorn as my profile picture 😂 and don't use my real name , I only really go on there to stalk people 😂 I don't have the app or messenger
Best thing I ever did
Instagram I don't post anything , just follow a few cooking accounts and mostly cosmetic brands , also no in my real name 😂😂

I gave up Facebook a few years ago- I first deactivated and then earlier this year I fully deleted it.

this week I’ve deactivated Instagram. This is going to sound dramatic but I feel like I have no idea who I actually am any more, I’ve got so moulded and changed by following certain things that I can’t really remember what I genuinely like.

I have twitter but that’s mainly to see events locally and what the buses are doing!

This is going to sound bad but I feel like i like SM less since family have been on it?! It seems to make them seem more narcissistic. I find the older people worse than younger.
I think young people grew up with the internet so while they can be brats (normal, because they’re kids) they are pretty clued on about the public nature of SM.

I gave up Facebook a few years ago- I first deactivated and then earlier this year I fully deleted it.

this week I’ve deactivated Instagram. This is going to sound dramatic but I feel like I have no idea who I actually am any more, I’ve got so moulded and changed by following certain things that I can’t really remember what I genuinely like.

I have twitter but that’s mainly to see events locally and what the buses are doing!
I find Twitter the least toxic of them all. I know some people won't find that. I unfollowed all news outlets, political accounts, muted any words to do with politics/Trump, etc. If I want news, I will search for it myself. I don't need people constantly talking about it on my tl. I think it is unhealthy to see all the time.

Instagram, although I didn't compare myself to others, I just found it a waste of time. It is embarrassing how much I would open it without realizing.

I bleeping hate how i feel my crappy little life is so consumed by social media! My kids even ask me when I’m on my phone - are you on Facebook!! It’s ridiculous! I need to get a grip with it all!

Not had Facebook for 5 years or a personal Instagram for a few months now.

Will never reactivate either!

Reactions: 4
I think young people grew up with the internet so while they can be brats (normal, because they’re kids) they are pretty clued on about the public nature of SM.
I am one of those people that was around when SM started, Bebo, MySpace etc. It is crazy how much it has evolved. I am glad IG wasn't around when I was a young teen.

I bleeping hate how i feel my crappy little life is so consumed by social media! My kids even ask me when I’m on my phone - are you on Facebook!! It’s ridiculous! I need to get a grip with it all!
Maybe you can delete the apps? I was clicking on them without even really realising what I was doing. It is scary.

Reactions: 4
I am one of those people that was around when SM started, Bebo, MySpace etc. It is crazy how much it has evolved. I am glad IG wasn't around when I was a young teen.

Maybe you can delete the apps? I was clicking on them without even really realising what I was doing. It is scary.
Yes I have done that and got drunk on Boxing Day and reinstalled Insta! Gonna delete it now!
I have set a timer to 1 hour per day but really struggling during the holidays and find myself on it constantly again!! 😫

Yes I have done that and got drunk on Boxing Day and reinstalled Insta! Gonna delete it now!
I have set a timer to 1 hour per day but really struggling during the holidays and find myself on it constantly again!! 😫
I used to read so many books and have Def found myself on SM more during the holidays. That's why today, I decided to get rid. Haha.

Reactions: 6
Oh I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be exposed to this 24/7 advertising and uber unrealistic body image, not to mention less savoury aspects of the internet. How must it feel to be a kid and stare at a screen as much as kids do these days, instead of going out. Internet is amazing but I’m so happy I grew up on the streets instead of in my room most of the time. I have a nephew, he is an absolute sweetheart, he has an amazing, small park sized garden with a playground etc. and all he wants is to stay inside and watch cartoons or play video games. He’s only 7.

Oh I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be exposed to this 24/7 advertising and uber unrealistic body image, not to mention less savoury aspects of the internet. How must it feel to be a kid and stare at a screen as much as kids do these days, instead of going out. Internet is amazing but I’m so happy I grew up on the streets instead of in my room most of the time. I have a nephew, he is an absolute sweetheart, he has an amazing, small park sized garden with a playground etc. and all he wants is to stay inside and watch cartoons or play video games. He’s only 7.
That is sad. We have a friend who's daughter is 16, and we were at there's and she sat on Insta scrolling through looks at "influencers" and "models." so sad.

Reactions: 5
I feel very sorry for my children that they're growing up in this age of SM. They don't even talk to friends, they just message. Like when I fancied a boy, you had to actually speak to him on the phone or in person but they don't even ring each other, it's all done through message.

I joined FB years back as I wanted to see what my nephew's girlfriend looked like! I use it to stay in touch with family, it's a way we share photos but at first I was the only one of my siblings on it but they've slowly all joined and now on birthdays a message is posted on FB whereas they used to actually ring and say happy birthday!

Reactions: 5