Dating after lockdown #24 they're participation trophies at best

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hoping for some reassurance as I think I'm overthinking things. I've only just started dating really and have met a lovely guy on hinge. We've been out 4 times in 2 weeks and he's stayed at my place a couple of times, last time we ended up together for about 24 hours. We can chat for hours and he opened up about some stuff that has happened to him this year that was hard to talk about. We're planning on meeting up again this week.
My issue is I can't stop thinking that he's not interested or that he'll ghost me. I've got no reason to think that at all, he's so sweet to me and we chat every day (although he does take hours to respond to messages). I think this wait between messages is what's making me think he's not bothered.

How do I snap myself out of this feeling that he isn't interested when evidence suggests that he is? It's such early days I don't need or want to rush into things but I can't stop thinking about him 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Thank you! I have another date tomorrow. Late afternoon. I'm not sure I fancy him just yet but he really makes the effort when talking, asks questions and is really enthusiastic about seeing me. Bare minimum lol but we all know what it's like in these streets 😭😭
Lmao... ladies... I am laying in bed at 5:30 on a monday in SHOCK after the "date". I had to get my sister to call me so I could say I had to leave. I did an oscar worthy performance of guilt and pegged it 😭😭😭 I need a couple mins before I can talk about it 😖

(@Clementine I will reply properly soon! 💞)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Sorry I've never posted in here before but I really am stuck as to what to do with my love life right now. I'm not over my ex and he would be with me if I made the decision. But the reason I feel we can't is that we fight all the time. They've often got really bad. We're both hot heads. He can also be incredibly stubborn and sometimes I feel im having to justify why I feel how I do about stuff that doesn't even concern him. He would gladly tell me I was wrong about something that happened before I even met him, for example, even though he wasn't there and it's you know.. actually my life we're talking about lol. He's also pretty jealous. If i want to see friends over him for example I'll often be told im "not prioritising him".

BUT I've tried dating. I've gotten nowhere. What I really want is it all - i want someone that's funny, smart, attractive, good chemistry, makes me feel safe... what I'm wondering is... is this not realistic? Im 31 btw.

Basically as much as I still love my ex and we have fun and im still attracted to him, I know I'd be having to settle for someone that's got issues that could negatively impact me potentially a fair bit. And we've burned all our bridges with our friends and family on both sides so there would be a lot of work to do in reintroducing each other into our lives. Some friends/family will potentially not want to see us together at all. I just want a relationship i can be proud of, where i dont need to feel bad for seeing them or bringing them to family gatherings or to the pub with friends! But am I just letting what other people think cloud my judgement here?

A lot of people say "don't settle". But then sometimes you hear horror stories or that people are truly disillusioned and think that there's no half decent men left never mind the full package.

I need to make a decision because ive been treading water for far too long. I need to either just really try with him again, or rip the band aid and finally try dating without using him as a safety net, and see what else is out there but risk losing him.

This was a bit of a whirlwind post but any advice truly appreciated 🙏
You two need to stay away from each other. I would say it's unfair to date if you're going to be comparing someone to your ex. I did add loads of uplifting stuff to this comment but it's disappeared. I'll try again later 😂

I found this quite relevant today.
I refuse to be that woman anymore. Do the work yourself, like women are expected
Lmao... ladies... I am laying in bed at 5:30 on a monday in SHOCK after the "date". I had to get my sister to call me so I could say I had to leave. I did an oscar worthy performance of guilt and pegged it 😭😭😭 I need a couple mins before I can talk about it 😖

*Casually bookmarks thread*

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Hoping for some reassurance as I think I'm overthinking things. I've only just started dating really and have met a lovely guy on hinge. We've been out 4 times in 2 weeks and he's stayed at my place a couple of times, last time we ended up together for about 24 hours. We can chat for hours and he opened up about some stuff that has happened to him this year that was hard to talk about. We're planning on meeting up again this week.
My issue is I can't stop thinking that he's not interested or that he'll ghost me. I've got no reason to think that at all, he's so sweet to me and we chat every day (although he does take hours to respond to messages). I think this wait between messages is what's making me think he's not bothered.

How do I snap myself out of this feeling that he isn't interested when evidence suggests that he is? It's such early days I don't need or want to rush into things but I can't stop thinking about him 😔
Put your phone down and relax. He’s probably working? These thoughts can end up sabotaging it.

Reactions: 2
Ohhhh, I just remembered the girl who went on date with a German guy and it was horrifying, and I’m rubbish with names…@AgentCooper? Where did she go? I miss her contributions.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Ohhhh, I just remembered the girl who went on date with a German guy and it was horrifying, and I’m rubbish with names…@AgentCooper? Where did she go? I miss her contributions.
it was @Agent Cooper! she hasn’t posted for a little while: she was always lovely here and a really talented writer! hope she’s okay 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 3

It’s been SEVERAL minutes. I need this story immediately plz. Kind regards.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Girl, rip the band aid. You two sound incompatible and it sounds like you see that too. Additionally, his comment about you spending time with friends is toxic, and I would personally have cut him off right then and there.

Regarding having high standards when it comes to online dating: there is a big difference between having standards and being delusional. What you are looking for does not sound delusional to me, and it is similar to the list I have for potential partners. However, I do think it is important to keep in mind that none of us are perfect and that something has got to give every now and then.

Have you ever considered dating just for the hell of it? Not because you are looking for the perfect partner but simply because you want to experience dating? From your post you come across as stressed (as far as I can judge from behind my MacBook) and it sounds like you could use some fun and relaxing times. Having a toxic partner can be detrimental to your self-worth and mental health, so maybe it would be a good thing for you to step away from your ex-partner and into the new and unexplored world that is online dating.
Thanks that was a lovely to read piece of advice and has made me feel a fair bit better. You're totally right as well I'm so stressed about the future I've not even considered just trying to have fun

Thanks 🙏

Thanks for the advice everyone who replied. and Ive forgotten who said it but wowwee 'We were exhausted by life because we spent so much emotional energy trying to match up the fact we loved each other with the fact that we were not meant to be" really bleeping hit home tonight! 😭🤯

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Ladies, there is a really cute builder working on my neighbors house whilst they are on holiday, and I think we had a moment this morning.
My driveway is connected to my neighbour's (we share the same exit to the street) and he'd been laying down cables and digging since 6 AM. He had dug quite a deep gutter, so when I tried to jump over the gap he told me to stop because he couldn't treat a lady that way (whilst pointing at my shoes in the dirt). He laid down a plank, but it was a bit wobbly so he grabbed me and lifted me up to put me down on the other side of the gutter. :oops: In true awkward introvert fashion I got beet red and mumbled thank you. He then asked if he'd see me later today, because he'd be happy to help me get back to my property. He winked when he said that last part!

I genuinely feel giddy like a school girl over the whole interaction, but what do I do now?? Do I leave work early to offer him a cup of tea around three today? I know he works till five because he's been working there for a few days now.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
That was me @Maria1212 - it’s so easy to fall into the sink cost fallacy, but you’ve already spent the time. It’s honestly totally freeing when you get it back

@MsCurly if that’s not a meet cute 😁

• Heart
Ladies, there is a really cute builder working on my neighbors house whilst they are on holiday, and I think we had a moment this morning.
My driveway is connected to my neighbour's (we share the same exit to the street) and he'd been laying down cables and digging since 6 AM. He had dug quite a deep gutter, so when I tried to jump over the gap he told me to stop because he couldn't treat a lady that way (whilst pointing at my shoes in the dirt). He laid down a plank, but it was a bit wobbly so he grabbed me and lifted me up to put me down on the other side of the gutter. :oops: In true awkward introvert fashion I got beet red and mumbled thank you. He then asked if he'd see me later today, because he'd be happy to help me get back to my property. He winked when he said that last part!

I genuinely feel giddy like a school girl over the whole interaction, but what do I do now?? Do I leave work early to offer him a cup of tea around three today? I know he works till five because he's been working there for a few days now.
I wouldn’t rush home for a cheeky builder in all honesty.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I wouldn’t rush home for a cheeky builder in all honesty.
I agree, he probably does this at each house he works on/near. Not a judgment on you at all but on him - it's probably just some entertainment for him whilst he's working. It's cheeky and fun but I think that's probably all it is. I could be wrong, and I hope I am!

(I wouldn't be thinking deeply about it to the point of considering leaving work early either) 💞

I agree, he probably does this at each house he works on/near. Not a judgment on you at all but on him - it's probably just some entertainment for him whilst he's working. It's cheeky and fun but I think that's probably all it is. I could be wrong, and I hope I am!

(I wouldn't be thinking deeply about it to the point of considering leaving work early either) 💞
I'd leave work early to hear about that date of yours

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Do it! I personally don’t need any excuse to leave work early 🏃🏽‍♀️ No harm in offering him a tea and a bit more lighthearted flirtation!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.