Dating after lockdown #15 new year, new dates

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I go first and admit: I unblock the guy that moved to another country and he asked if I still want him to leave me alone 🙈🙈

In my defence: Santa didn't bring my present and all the other guys on Bumble are meh!

Reactions: 6
I go first and admit: I unblock the guy that moved to another country and he asked if I still want him to leave me alone 🙈🙈

In my defence: Santa didn't bring my present and all the other guys on Bumble are meh!
It’s so tricky when there’s a lull with the apps. Our mind wanders and it can make previous ones seem appealing again. I’ve been there. Only you know how you feel and what you want. Do you want him to leave you alone? Why would you want to chat? Because of the lull? Do you think any good could come from it, or will you get hurt? I’d say to stay away completely if you can’t handle it/expect something to magically change with him. He hasn’t changed. He knows what he’s doing. If you can handle it and can keep your expectations low, then chat to him - but keep looking on the apps. He’s not the one, but I do know how it can help to get through the patch before you meet someone and get a date lined up.

Reactions: 3
It’s so tricky when there’s a lull with the apps. Our mind wanders and it can make previous ones seem appealing again. I’ve been there. Only you know how you feel and what you want. Do you want him to leave you alone? Why would you want to chat? Because of the lull? Do you think any good could come from it, or will you get hurt? I’d say to stay away completely if you can’t handle it/expect something to magically change with him. He hasn’t changed. He knows what he’s doing. If you can handle it and can keep your expectations low, then chat to him - but keep looking on the apps. He’s not the one, but I do know how it can help to get through the patch before you meet someone and get a date lined up.
Thank you for your kind words.

I think it is because he is familiar and we have a connection. And he likes me, he said that he was relieved and happy that I had unblocked him.

But regardless: he lives in another country now and wasn't the most empathetic person in the past.

Yes, I will keep looking at the apps but frankly: it's been two years 🙈🙈🙈🙈 I am exhausted! How many more frogs do I need to swipe? 😱

Reactions: 4
Thank you for your kind words.

I think it is because he is familiar and we have a connection. And he likes me, he said that he was relieved and happy that I had unblocked him.

But regardless: he lives in another country now and wasn't the most empathetic person in the past.

Yes, I will keep looking at the apps but frankly: it's been two years 🙈🙈🙈🙈 I am exhausted! How many more frogs do I need to swipe? 😱
You’re welcome! I read your posts about him. He put you through a lot of heartache. You can’t be together. You already know this. Right now you may think you can handle chatting to him. For a while, this could even be the case. But be careful - it can be like picking at a healing wound. It weeps. It bleeds. It hurts. It seems he’s already saying things to tug at your heartstrings. I wonder why that is? Because it makes him feel good to have your attention. It’s your choice at the end of the day. Do what feels right for you.

Based on your final paragraph, you’re understandably feeling despondent. He’s one of the frogs, don’t forget. It’s hard to date and find a keeper. It’s like being a window salesman, and knocking on 99 doors before finally getting a sale on the 100th one.

New year, new opportunities. More men will come on the apps. Give it a chance. Maybe take a break for a week or two. Meanwhile, focus on the here and now. Anything you want to achieve for yourself? Can be as simple as getting a new hairstyle.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Mildly funny story to tell. I got a super like on bumble and I swiped him back to match. His ONLY 2 photos looked familiar… we’d matched before.
We messaged for a bit and then I didn’t bother replying. This was on Xmas eve. Then I get a WhatsApp from him! His WhatsApp pic was one of his bumble pics which was him in shorts looking out to the sea (his other bumble pic was him wearing sunglasses, so you can’t really tell what he looked like). He still had the previous WhatsApp chat and it was from 2018/2019! I’d obviously deleted the chat and I don’t recall chatting to him on WhatsApp. He lives in the Cayman Islands, but was home for Xmas, so not sure why he was only bumble if it’s a flying visit back to the uk. Anyway, again, I didn’t reply to his WhatsApp because I was busy with family on Christmas Day etc and tbh, I knew nothing would come of it since he lives overseas. I’ve just gone back to look at his bumble profile and he’s added more photos and he looks like lurch from the Addams family 😂 he sunglass-fished me! 😣

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Mildly funny story to tell. I got a super like on bumble and I swiped him back to match. His ONLY 2 photos looked familiar… we’d matched before.
We messaged for a bit and then I didn’t bother replying. This was on Xmas eve. Then I get a WhatsApp from him! His WhatsApp pic was one of his bumble pics which was him in shorts looking out to the sea (his other bumble pic was him wearing sunglasses, so you can’t really tell what he looked like). He still had the previous WhatsApp chat and it was from 2018/2019! I’d obviously deleted the chat and I don’t recall chatting to him on WhatsApp. He lives in the Cayman Islands, but was home for Xmas, so not sure why he was only bumble if it’s a flying visit back to the uk. Anyway, again, I didn’t reply to his WhatsApp because I was busy with family on Christmas Day etc and tbh, I knew nothing would come of it since he lives overseas. I’ve just gone back to look at his bumble profile and he’s added more photos and he looks like lurch from the Addams family 😂 he sunglass-fished me! 😣

he sunglass-fished me! Oh dear 🙈 That’s so funny, though! 😂

• Haha

sunglass-fishing is real!!! this made me 🤣🤣

• Haha
You’re welcome! I read your posts about him. He put you through a lot of heartache. You can’t be together. You already know this. Right now you may think you can handle chatting to him. For a while, this could even be the case. But be careful - it can be like picking at a healing wound. It weeps. It bleeds. It hurts. It seems he’s already saying things to tug at your heartstrings. I wonder why that is? Because it makes him feel good to have your attention. It’s your choice at the end of the day. Do what feels right for you.

Based on your final paragraph, you’re understandably feeling despondent. He’s one of the frogs, don’t forget. It’s hard to date and find a keeper. It’s like being a window salesman, and knocking on 99 doors before finally getting a sale on the 100th one.

New year, new opportunities. More men will come on the apps. Give it a chance. Maybe take a break for a week or two. Meanwhile, focus on the here and now. Anything you want to achieve for yourself? Can be as simple as getting a new hairstyle.
Thank you again for your thoughtful response. You are right: he is a frog 🐸
He is also a bit lonely in his new house as he doesn't have any friends where he lives and doesn't even speak the language, only knows a few words.

I was actually just about to sit down and think about my intentions.
Last year I didn't really have any and I kind of bumbled through the year (and through the app ;) and didn't really get anywhere. I want this to change now, I need to make some progress.

My first intention is to read more, I downloaded a book about habits and I also started a Yoga challenge and am back into running.

It is just so hard to find goals and to decide what to do with your life when you are on your own.
Do you find it challenging? How do you deal with it?

• Heart
Thank you again for your thoughtful response. You are right: he is a frog 🐸
He is also a bit lonely in his new house as he doesn't have any friends where he lives and doesn't even speak the language, only knows a few words.

I was actually just about to sit down and think about my intentions.
Last year I didn't really have any and I kind of bumbled through the year (and through the app ;) and didn't really get anywhere. I want this to change now, I need to make some progress.

My first intention is to read more, I downloaded a book about habits and I also started a Yoga challenge and am back into running.

It is just so hard to find goals and to decide what to do with your life when you are on your own.
Do you find it challenging? How do you deal with it?
Challenging? Definitely! I feel like I’ve had to go through a lot of self-reflection and adjustment as I’ve plodded on with my dating journey. I’ve had to really look in the mirror at times. I felt lost by last spring, after a couple of bruising experiences, but by the summer I got back to myself a bit more. I didn’t want to read any books or engage with anything that usually brought me pleasure. I was so distracted by things! I felt cross with myself, but then stopped being hard on myself. I felt my feelings, accepted it all and picked myself up.

I always felt my career was keeping me from a personal life. As my career went from strength to strength last year, that added to my frustration. I’ve stopped fighting it. It’s part of who I am and gives me such purpose. I’ve taken myself out of my comfort zone lots in a year. A happy consequence is that I think I’d feel more confident holidaying alone etc going forward, so that’s a big change in mindset for me.

I’ve got my journal out to start doing my daily gratitude, and set myself a new reading challenge. I’m going to do more yoga too. Maybe visualise a new list of things I’d like to achieve. I still want a relationship. I want to travel more. I don’t need a partner in order to do that, and that’s a huge change in my head! I’m going to set little challenges, like read a chapter a night, and start small to ease me into the new year. I don’t set resolutions, as such, but it’s good to set something small and realistic when you need to refocus things, no matter what time of year it is 🙂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
@Belle123 - you need to write a book or start a podcast or something, your advice is always so encouraging and beautifully worded 💙

i don’t have any new dating things to add, other than the guy i mentioned last thread who has a profile full of photos of him with one other guy and a bio that says “don’t message if you’re just going to ask which one i am” has popped up on bumble too. we matched, and i messaged him. i’ll give you one guess as to what my message said 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
@Belle123 - you need to write a book or start a podcast or something, your advice is always so encouraging and beautifully worded 💙

i don’t have any new dating things to add, other than the guy i mentioned last thread who has a profile full of photos of him with one other guy and a bio that says “don’t message if you’re just going to ask which one i am” has popped up on bumble too. we matched, and i messaged him. i’ll give you one guess as to what my message said 🤣
Oh wow, what a fantastically kind thing to say! 🥰 Thank you. I’ve really appreciated people’s advice on here, including before I braved it and started chatting, so if I can help anybody too, well, that’s amazing! You’re so lovely, and generous with your feedback and advice to everyone ❤

I love that you asked him… I would have too 😉😂

• Heart
I need advice on behalf of a friend or atleast we both wondered if anyone else thinks like this..

He's been dating a guy for two months and they see eachother regularly. Previously he'd spoken to him about the fact he'd paused his tinder and the other guy said he doesn't go on it and is a "one man kinda guy". Tonight my bestie messaged me and said that he wants to know if he's still on Tinder and that he'd made a fake profile..I was like Sam ffs. He said that he couldn't find him on there and he's narrowed his search so he would 💯 come up and he hadn't found him. He calmed down I did the usual wtf chat (he got himself into a bad pickle on Nye and I was talking to him for HOURS). He has now just messaged me and said it occurred to him that you can block your phone contacts from showing up on your tinder 😬 I've tried to tell him to trust him but he won't listen. He's asked to use my number and I said no and I'm sure he's probably trying to use a fake number some how. What advice can I give him? Anyone have any experience? I don't know what to say to reassure him.

I need advice on behalf of a friend or atleast we both wondered if anyone else thinks like this..

He's been dating a guy for two months and they see eachother regularly. Previously he'd spoken to him about the fact he'd paused his tinder and the other guy said he doesn't go on it and is a "one man kinda guy". Tonight my bestie messaged me and said that he wants to know if he's still on Tinder and that he'd made a fake profile..I was like Sam ffs. He said that he couldn't find him on there and he's narrowed his search so he would 💯 come up and he hadn't found him. He calmed down I did the usual wtf chat (he got himself into a bad pickle on Nye and I was talking to him for HOURS). He has now just messaged me and said it occurred to him that you can block your phone contacts from showing up on your tinder 😬 I've tried to tell him to trust him but he won't listen. He's asked to use my number and I said no and I'm sure he's probably trying to use a fake number some how. What advice can I give him? Anyone have any experience? I don't know what to say to reassure him.
This might sound harsh but if your friend distrusts the guy that much after only 2 months he might need to take a step back from being in a relationship for awhile otherwise he will have himself tied in knots questioning everything

Reactions: 5

is there a reason why he’s so convinced that this guy is still on tinder? has he had bad experiences previously? saying he’s a “one man guy” would be a definite answer to me but it sounds like your friend has so convinced himself otherwise that i’m not sure what you could say to change his mind - i would try and pinpoint why he feels this way.

like @Puffin said, two months in isn’t much for this level of distrust. has the guy given him reason to doubt?

Challenging? Definitely! I feel like I’ve had to go through a lot of self-reflection and adjustment as I’ve plodded on with my dating journey. I’ve had to really look in the mirror at times. I felt lost by last spring, after a couple of bruising experiences, but by the summer I got back to myself a bit more. I didn’t want to read any books or engage with anything that usually brought me pleasure. I was so distracted by things! I felt cross with myself, but then stopped being hard on myself. I felt my feelings, accepted it all and picked myself up.

I always felt my career was keeping me from a personal life. As my career went from strength to strength last year, that added to my frustration. I’ve stopped fighting it. It’s part of who I am and gives me such purpose. I’ve taken myself out of my comfort zone lots in a year. A happy consequence is that I think I’d feel more confident holidaying alone etc going forward, so that’s a big change in mindset for me.

I’ve got my journal out to start doing my daily gratitude, and set myself a new reading challenge. I’m going to do more yoga too. Maybe visualise a new list of things I’d like to achieve. I still want a relationship. I want to travel more. I don’t need a partner in order to do that, and that’s a huge change in my head! I’m going to set little challenges, like read a chapter a night, and start small to ease me into the new year. I don’t set resolutions, as such, but it’s good to set something small and realistic when you need to refocus things, no matter what time of year it is 🙂
Girl, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a super successful psychologist, your advice is always so thoughtful.

I recognize myself a lot, accepting and not blaming the career success, owning being single and traveling alone. I do hope you will travel more alone, it is so liberating, and some of my best trips were by myself.

The only thing I've been struggling with is going alone for a summer vacation. I've done it 2 years ago, it was terrifying but amazing as well. I'm still not fully comfortable with it, but I plan to do it again. Maybe somewhere near a big city where it's easier to be alone.

To anyone who may be interested in a yoga monthly challenge do check "Yoga with Adrienne" on YouTube as it's just starting.

• Heart
I’m going to have a breakdown. Ive just woken
I’ve spent two weeks talking to a guy including him calling me and sending selfies, speaking on the phone only to wake up to him blocking me on Instagram, WhatsApp and unmatching me on hinge. We were supposed to meet today.

this coupled with the guy who wanting an open relationship who then came back and wanted to date just me, stringing me along for a week saying he wanted to meet me giving me days, I text on the 17th December trying to make plans and getting ghosted.No Christmas. Message no happy new year but saw him posting on Instagram. Forgot to add I’ve seen him on hinge and constantly active - we matched on tinder my friends also sent me his profile. Why couldn’t he be upfront instead of saying he wanted to see me.

is there no end?! I know we always say it’s not us but guys. Two ghostings well and a blocking in the space of two weeks is insane.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Girl, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a super successful psychologist, your advice is always so thoughtful.

I recognize myself a lot, accepting and not blaming the career success, owning being single and traveling alone. I do hope you will travel more alone, it is so liberating, and some of my best trips were by myself.

The only thing I've been struggling with is going alone for a summer vacation. I've done it 2 years ago, it was terrifying but amazing as well. I'm still not fully comfortable with it, but I plan to do it again. Maybe somewhere near a big city where it's easier to be alone.

To anyone who may be interested in a yoga monthly challenge do check "Yoga with Adrienne" on YouTube as it's just starting.
Aww, that’s an unexpected comment to hear! Thank you so much. I’m definitely not a psychologist! I do like reading up on stuff though. My previous relationships ended because we were incompatible/drifted apart. I never purposefully dated before, and it’s led me into a whole host of new terms - love bombing, for one! Working out my ex, in all likelihood, had a fearful avoidant attachment style made a massive difference to me. It helped me find peace, because it told me for sure it was nothing to do with me - we were always going to end because of his fears. He did, to be fair, say it was him, and nothing at all to do with me. One of the few honest things to come out of his trap. It gave me the answer to my confusion, not because it suited me to think this about him, but because it’s the only thing that actually fitted with what happened and the blindsiding way it came crashing down out of nowhere. There were a lot of factors that led me to this conclusion.

People say to move on and forget. Easier said than done when you wanted to be with someone, your head is spinning and you just want to understand why it came crashing down so quickly. Sometimes we need to find an answer (more so when they can’t give it to you) in order to move on, close the door, and to try not to repeat the same situation.

Thank you for your comments about holidaying alone - I will brave it! Adrienne’s channel is brilliant, so thanks for reminding me about her! ☺

I’ve spent two weeks talking to a guy including him calling me and sending selfies, speaking on the phone only to wake up to him blocking me on Instagram, WhatsApp and unmatching me on hinge. We were supposed to meet today.

this coupled with the guy who wanting an open relationship who then came back and wanted to date just me, stringing me along for a week saying he wanted to meet me giving me days, I text on the 17th December trying to make plans and getting ghosted.No Christmas. Message no happy new year but saw him posting on Instagram. Forgot to add I’ve seen him on hinge and constantly active - we matched on tinder my friends also sent me his profile. Why couldn’t he be upfront instead of saying he wanted to see me.

is there no end?! I know we always say it’s not us but guys. Two ghostings well and a blocking in the space of two weeks is insane.
I’m so sorry. No wonder you feel upset. People do strange things at Christmas/New Year. They reflect on their life, their past loves, where they’re at with their lives and so on. They may get in touch with an ex. Even rekindle things. They may decide they want to find someone else. Then they decide they don’t. They want to block out the loneliness. Then they think they’re better off single.

They are incredibly rude and selfish to do this to you, but it really is them and not you. Better you see this guy for who he is now. Can’t even politely cancel the date with you. Gutless and selfish. We’ve probably all got similar stories. It happened to me in the summer. He’d arranged a date with me. Then went quiet on the day. He blocked me as I was typing a message to him. I had to laugh at this 39 year old guy having the maturity of a 15 year old! He clearly wasn’t over the ex he’d mentioned in our chats.

I think being strung along is a clue to the person being unsure/confused about what they want. You’re more in control than you think. Walk away or at least mentally detach when men show these signs in the future. Please don’t be hard on yourself, it’s just a couple of wrong ‘uns! You deserve, and will find, better.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

I'm sorry this happened, but please do not take it personal. These men were obviously a bunch of douchebags. Dating can be so cruel and infuriating sometimes.

I have decided to take a little break from swiping. I have quite a few matches, but most of the men come across as indecisive and like they don't really care. I don't want to waste my time on someone who is iffy or indifferent about wanting to meet me, so I'm going to focus on other things for a few weeks/months.
I had another interaction that kind of put me off men for a bit. When I was in Iceland last year I matched with a guy there. We went on a few dates and we had a good time, but it fizzled out because he lives on the other side of the Atlantic. He texted me last week to let me know he will be in my country in a few weeks. I gave him some tips and I told him if he would let me know in advance I might have time to meet him somewhere for drinks but that I couldn't make any promises. He apparently got disappointed by that, as his next text to me was 'your country is overrated, I might just skip it all together'. Like... okay? :rolleyes: We barely talk as he hates texting (his words, not mine) and I stopped putting in the effort a few months ago so I can't really be arsed at this point. It's rather funny that he is getting upset because I am treating him the way he treats me.

Reactions: 9
Aww, that’s an unexpected comment to hear! Thank you so much. I’m definitely not a psychologist! I do like reading up on stuff though. My previous relationships ended because we were incompatible/drifted apart. I never purposefully dated before, and it’s led me into a whole host of new terms - love bombing, for one! Working out my ex, in all likelihood, had a fearful avoidant attachment style made a massive difference to me. It helped me find peace, because it told me for sure it was nothing to do with me - we were always going to end because of his fears. He did, to be fair, say it was him, and nothing at all to do with me. One of the few honest things to come out of his trap. It gave me the answer to my confusion, not because it suited me to think this about him, but because it’s the only thing that actually fitted with what happened and the blindsiding way it came crashing down out of nowhere. There were a lot of factors that led me to this conclusion.

People say to move on and forget. Easier said than done when you wanted to be with someone, your head is spinning and you just want to understand why it came crashing down so quickly. Sometimes we need to find an answer (more so when they can’t give it to you) in order to move on, close the door, and to try not to repeat the same situation.

Thank you for your comments about holidaying alone - I will brave it! Adrienne’s channel is brilliant, so thanks for reminding me about her! ☺

I’m so sorry. No wonder you feel upset. People do strange things at Christmas/New Year. They reflect on their life, their past loves, where they’re at with their lives and so on. They may get in touch with an ex. Even rekindle things. They may decide they want to find someone else. Then they decide they don’t. They want to block out the loneliness. Then they think they’re better off single.

They are incredibly rude and selfish to do this to you, but it really is them and not you. Better you see this guy for who he is now. Can’t even politely cancel the date with you. Gutless and selfish. We’ve probably all got similar stories. It happened to me in the summer. He’d arranged a date with me. Then went quiet on the day. He blocked me as I was typing a message to him. I had to laugh at this 39 year old guy having the maturity of a 15 year old! He clearly wasn’t over the ex he’d mentioned in our chats.

I think being strung along is a clue to the person being unsure/confused about what they want. You’re more in control than you think. Walk away or at least mentally detach when men show these signs in the future. Please don’t be hard on yourself, it’s just a couple of wrong ‘uns! You deserve, and will find, better.
@realhousewivewannabe I second everything that @belle123said above. The Christmas and New Year period makes people do strange things , it's the reason it's called cuffing season.

Don't be so hard on yourself you are the third person I have heard recount similar stories about guys doing pretty much what you described, so I know much easier said than done but don't take it personally. New Year and new start for all of us ❤

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.