Dating a colleague- is it a good or bad idea?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bit different, maybe, because we were together before working together, but my hubby and i have been colleagues for 7 years and I don't really get the issue with mixing work and personal life! In fact, I like that my husband appreciates what I go through on a daily basis (and vice versa) :D it also saves us tonnes of money as we only need one car to commute! At our company a lot of relationships have been formed as well.

And the amount of people that say oh my God i could neeeeever work my with OH. But they didn't meet through work so can't really relate.
I didn't meet my husband throught work. In fact, i was telling my boss that my then-Fiance was looking for a job, when she suggested he join us (I never thought it was a bad idea.. mind you we weren't living together then!)! 7 years later we're both still working together there.

Last edited:
I have 2 different experiences. When I was much younger, I had an intense relationship with a man at work. It ended horribly, I was totally heartbroken and it was so painful having to see him everyday. Thankfully he moved away not long afterwards. Then I started dating another guy in the same organisation but we never worked together. We're married now and have been together for 25 years. He always knows what I'm talking about when ive had a bad day, and vice versa. We're really solid and have a great relationship xx

Reactions: 1
My ex was a colleague, worked great in the beginning but the people we worked with were nosey & tried at every opportunity to get involved in our business, so it was quite hard going at times. It was great having an understanding of why the other had a tit day at work because we knew what it was like but then sometimes it was a nightmare because we would have opposite views on things, so it became another thing to argue about.
Plus, we couldn't do anything together without other colleagues insinuating that we were off banging in a cupboard or something which was stupid because we did try to keep our relationship outside of work.

Saying all that though, I do think it depends on where you work and how closely you work together. It didn't work for me but I fully believe it can work for others & know people that live & work with their OH & still can't get enough of them!

I met my partner at work. I joined a team that he was in and the rest is history! We’re still together and it’s been 7 years now. He left the company about a year after we got together though.

I was a little promiscuous when I was younger and slept with 5 people I worked with. Ended up really falling for one and he absolutely broke my heart so I left. Fast forward 4 years and I met my new partner in work (diff department) and we have a house together and are stable.
I would say if your working that close then don't, it's hard seeing them everyday when all you want is them to love you back 😔

I know people who've made it work but I also know people where it went horribly wrong - the ones that went well knew each other really well before dating and were both in it for something serious.

The one I'm thinking of particularly that went really bad was my friend who fancied a guy at work that she'd never even spoken to before until they started doing a bit of work together from home over lockdown.

She heard rumours about him in relationships with other staff in the past where he didn't behave great but kinda ignored them. It then turned out he was completely crazy. She didn't want anything too serious yet anyway and tried to take it slow but he was super intense and trying to move really fast which made her back off even more. She ended it and still gets angry ranty crazy texts from him which is super awkward as they still work together and will see each other in person when they go back to work!

In my workplace it’s very normal to date/marry a colleague but my job isn’t a regular 9-5 one. Don’t know how it would be in a regular office setting though and how it would affect your work. I’m in two minds- my professional head says stay away as especially in the current environment it’s difficult to switch jobs now if it goes tits up but my romantic head says none of us are getting any younger and he could be The One and would be sad for you to miss out on something that would potentially make you happy.

I can’t decide if I’m in love with my work colleague or if it’s just the lack of any male interaction this year getting to my head 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I recently went through a breakup, we were long distance so I hadn’t actually seen him since January. Anyway I’ve always had very firm lines between professional and personal life, so I’m curious how other people feel about the idea of dating a work colleague?
Messy, complicated, one to avoid. 🤣

Reactions: 2
I personally would say avoid. Don’t tit where you eat. I know there are many happy couples on this thread but if it goes south it would get very awkward

Reactions: 4