Dating a colleague- is it a good or bad idea?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t decide if I’m in love with my work colleague or if it’s just the lack of any male interaction this year getting to my head 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I recently went through a breakup, we were long distance so I hadn’t actually seen him since January. Anyway I’ve always had very firm lines between professional and personal life, so I’m curious how other people feel about the idea of dating a work colleague?

Reactions: 2
Been married to one for 5 years now so... :ROFLMAO:

Honestly I think it also depends on how closely you work together, if your company has a policy against it and how easy it would be for you to avoid each other if ot didn't work out? In a way that you didn't make others uncomfortable or choose sides.

Reactions: 3
Been married to one for 5 years now so... :ROFLMAO:

Honestly I think it also depends on how closely you work together, if your company has a policy against it and how easy it would be for you to avoid each other if ot didn't work out? In a way that you didn't make others uncomfortable or choose sides.
We are the only 2 on our team that are in the office everyday, everyone else works from home majority of the time but for our jobs we can’t 🤣 honestly I don’t see anything actually happening, he is my type but so is every male with dark hair and a beard lol I think it is just a case of me being newly single and him being the only male I am around a lot at the moment 😂 but I am glad to hear it worked out for you! Did you work closely with your husband when you first started dating?

We are the only 2 on our team that are in the office everyday, everyone else works from home majority of the time but for our jobs we can’t 🤣 honestly I don’t see anything actually happening, he is my type but so is every male with dark hair and a beard lol I think it is just a case of me being newly single and him being the only male I am around a lot at the moment 😂 but I am glad to hear it worked out for you! Did you work closely with your husband when you first started dating?
Are you not actually seeing each other yet?

I used to work for a big company with loads of young people. Everyone was seeing one another! I had a few flings but the place was so big, I never really saw them much afterwards. But if I had worked closely with someone, I would have thought twice as when it ends you still have to see them everyday.

We didn't work closely together, not in the same team but we were in the same building etc so did see each other every day, had many mutual friends and stuff. Funnily enough now we still don't work together but our workspaces are separated by one window so I have to look at him every waking moment basically!

• Haha
Are you not actually seeing each other yet?

I used to work for a big company with loads of young people. Everyone was seeing one another! I had a few flings but the place was so big, I never really saw them much afterwards. But if I had worked closely with someone, I would have thought twice as when it ends you still have to see them everyday.
no I’m not seeing him lol I’ve just realised my sense of humour definitely hasn’t been made clear in my post, oops 😂 I was just joking about the idea of being in love with him

no I’m not seeing him lol I’ve just realised my sense of humour definitely hasn’t been made clear in my post, oops 😂 I was just joking about the idea of being in love with him
Yes I got that but your title is 'dating a colleague is it good or bad' so I assumed you were asking the question before you decided to date him but then couldn't work out if you were dating him as when you said you couldn't see anything happening and I thought you meant you couldn't see it lasting!

My advice is to not go there if you work so closely together!

Reactions: 1
Me and my ex of around 9 months worked for the same company and knew the same colleagues/circles. The ex had a reputation for dating colleagues in the past so every move we made the gossip was spread like wildfire.

I then left company as I had a new job, we split up a few months later and he had to deal with the gossip and the questions which was the least he deserved 😂

In the new job I had a casual encounter with an immediate colleague which was exciting at first but then that fizzled very quickly.

My boyfriend works for the same company as me however it’s huge and he’s in a totally different department to me with totally different colleagues/circles/management so I technically don’t class him as a colleague.

Yes I got that but your title is 'dating a colleague is it good or bad' so I assumed you were asking the question before you decided to date him but then couldn't work out if you were dating him as when you said you couldn't see anything happening and I thought you meant you couldn't see it lasting!

My advice is to not go there if you work so closely together!
ohhh no I'm just generally curious as to what peoples opinions are on the idea of it/anyones experience with it haha! yeah that's pretty much my view, I'd feel so awkward if it ended lol

I met my husband at work, but he left the store about 3 months after we got together and I left about 6 months after. We didn’t work in the same department.

My now boyfriend I met at work and three years later and a baby we are a still going strong , But he has changed roles - still in the same workplace but we work opposite hours so we don’t see each other. If we ended I don’t think it would be awkward as we wouldn’t run into each other much or he’s always said he would leave as he wouldn’t be able to cope 😂

but before him I had a one nighT thing with another colleague. I already knew him before I started we were friends and are still friends now it isn’t awkward or anything but neither of us mention it so we just pretend like it never happened as it shouldn’t have( too many drinks on the Christmas do)😂 we have worked together since and we see each other in the office all the time. People used to comment what a good couple we would make but it’s not like that.
I think it depends on the two people if you’re on the same page then it shouldn’t be awkward it’s quite exciting having an office fling when no one else in the office has a clue

I met my OH at work and we’ve been together 6 years now. We didn’t work together long though, we both moved on to new jobs within several months of getting together.

I was with a work colleague before. It ended i was broken hearted and still had to see him every day which killed me cos i didn't want to see him at all. So regretted that. Now with my oh/ work colleague the last 18 months and see him every day. All good. But for us to progress i.e live together we've said one of us has to move departments. That will happen in about 6 months.
If it ended tomorrow it would be a complete nightmare cos we work close enough together. Thankfully i don't see that happening. It was a huge risk we took.

• Sad
And the amount of people that say oh my God i could neeeeever work my with OH. But they didn't meet through work so can't really relate.

My ex from years ago worked offshore but for the same company. All fine until we split up and I had to email him for his visas, whilst we were trying to sell our house. Awkward :LOL:

I then moved departments, and was seeing a guy in the department on and off. He became VERY clingy though and I had to call it off, which was difficult given our desks were right next to each other and we saw one another every day.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it but each to their own :)

I think this is the type of thing where the idea is more exciting than the reality 😂 if I were you and he was single, I’d be enjoying the flirt and excitement but not look for anything more than that 🙊

We've been married for 16 years 🤪 worked at the same company although not in the same team, we did keep quiet about it originally, it depends if it's just because of lockdown and lack of men around?? I would say no rush get to know him outside of work but dont rush into anything 😊