Dandruff/dry and itchy scalp

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had something a bit like this. My scalp became very itchy and flaky. I couldn't see what the issue was so went to my mum's to get her to check it. I basically had big bits of dry skin just flaking off, by big I don't mean penny size but they were flaking in big enough pieces that you could see them in my hands.

I bought a scalp scrub from Le Labo which helped, try and get a sample first though as it is about £30. You cannot use it continuously as it will dry your scalp out, I use it once or twice a month. I also found that some shampoos were drying my hands out really badly so could only think what they were doing to my scalp. I love a range you can get in Poundland. I cannot remember the name but they are small rectangular bottles and all fruit scented. They contain none of the nasties (so SLS free) and they have worked a treat on my hair. I have the banana set, the hemp shampoo, the strawberry conditioner, the ginger shampoo and the tea tree shampoo. For a quid, they're bloody amazing!

I agree, the superdrug range is great. They have a scalp tonic too which is fantastic! I saw improvements after the first use.
I saw this in Superdrug yesterday and it looked very good, I was going to google reviews but having seen, this, I will pick it up when I am next in store

Reactions: 1
How do you use that? Is it just when shampooing? Or can you use it any time?
I use it when I am shampooing to make sure I have cleaned my scalp properly. I have seen less flakes in my hair (which was a fair amount) despite my scalp still being a bit dry so not sure how it’s helped but it has

Dandruff and fleaky scalp is different. I had this problem for like 15 years until I used the body shop finger shampoo. I still get it from time to time but it doesn’t help massively

I've had a super itchy scalp for years now. Do you find it gets more itchy if you get hot? I sometimes have a reaction to my own sweat (which really sucks in summer!). My skin's pretty sensitive, so it took me a really long time to find a shampoo that didn't make me want to pull my hair out. I Love Juicy from Lush works pretty well for me! I suggest to just keep trying different shampoos and treatments until you find what works for you. Every body is different!

Reactions: 2
My daughter suffers the same. Her dermatologist suggested we take a flannel and coconut oil or olive oil and separate and section the hair and rub the scalp. It takes a while to do but really works. It loosens all the flaky skin and soothes the itch. It needs doing every 6/8 weeks or so. You’ll find it gets quicker and you have to do less frequently.

Reactions: 2
My mum swears by body shop ginger shampoo! I like it but Superdrug do an own brand range for itchy/dry scalp and I much prefer it. Usually on an offer too plus they do a conditioner in the same range.

I have just started using this and found that this is the only shampoo that doesn't flare up any dry skin on my body as well (neck is suffering atm). Definitely will pick up the tonic soon.

Tried Nizoral and it made my scalp really itchy and hair like straw.
I used Nizoral for 20 ish years and it really did work. It recently stopped working for me though, don’t know if they changed the formula or my skin just got used to it. I use T Gel now which is fine but not as good as Nizoral used to be for me.

some good tips on this thread I will check them out.