Critical Race Theory

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Context is key and I don't believe that going down the road of trying to find racism in every little thing is healthy.
The implication here is that stuff that makes people potentially uncomfortable and feel like complete outsiders in their own country is fine as long as it's not outwardly racist

Bit of a yikes đŸ˜¬

• Sad
Reactions: 2
The implication here is that stuff that makes people potentially uncomfortable and feel like complete outsiders in their own country is fine as long as it's not outwardly racist

Bit of a yikes đŸ˜¬
Seriously? That's not what I meant at all, I said context is key. Badgering someone about where they're 'really from' is obviously not a good thing. Taking an interest in heritage is another. Making them feel like a weirdo for being different is also not a good thing. Complimenting them on nice features or hair is fine surely.

I think institutional racism does happen just as institutional sexism does happen. But CRT theorists like Robin Diangelo basically say that white people are always trying to uphold white supremacy and will always be racist. It's like original sin in the bible - humans are born bad.

I think it's not true, I think it's divisive and I think it's an unhealthy way to think. If we applied CRT concepts to sex, I think patriarchy exists and oppresses women but I don't think every single man in my life is oppressing me. I mean, some have obviously, but some men in my life have been there for me in my worst moments. Conversely, I've been horrifically bullied by other women.

This lady's story is interesting as she found that seeing life through the lens of CRT to be really psychologically damaging because she interpreted everything as having to be racism. If someone didn't hold a door for her or a cashier was rude or whatever the CRT answer was this is white supremacy, not the cashier hating their job or someone being self-centered.

However, there are some things that that I'm all totally for. E.g I think we need to do more in the UK about teaching about empire and the atrocities the UK committed, about the slave trade etc. I am also all for including non-european history, philosophy etc on curriculums and totally up for literature by more diverse authors being included in reading lists. While I read that race report commissioned by the tories with an open mind, I was not impressed by the fact that the authors seemed to think that what was needed was a patriotic education telling positive stories. Sometimes the most patriotic thing to do is to be able to own up to past mistakes. Germany teaches the third reich and the holocaust, why should we avoid learning about things like the Amritsar massacre?
Regarding the last paragraph, that's what I was trying to get at in one of my first posts in the thread- teach history by all means but not as a tool to divide people.

Last edited:
I think institutional racism does happen just as institutional sexism does happen. But CRT theorists like Robin Diangelo basically say that white people are always trying to uphold white supremacy and will always be racist. It's like original sin in the bible - humans are born bad.

I think it's not true, I think it's divisive and I think it's an unhealthy way to think. If we applied CRT concepts to sex, I think patriarchy exists and oppresses women but I don't think every single man in my life is oppressing me. I mean, some have obviously, but some men in my life have been there for me in my worst moments. Conversely, I've been horrifically bullied by other women.

This lady's story is interesting as she found that seeing life through the lens of CRT to be really psychologically damaging because she interpreted everything as having to be racism. If someone didn't hold a door for her or a cashier was rude or whatever the CRT answer was this is white supremacy, not the cashier hating their job or someone being self-centered.

However, there are some things that that I'm all totally for. E.g I think we need to do more in the UK about teaching about empire and the atrocities the UK committed, about the slave trade etc. I am also all for including non-european history, philosophy etc on curriculums and totally up for literature by more diverse authors being included in reading lists. While I read that race report commissioned by the tories with an open mind, I was not impressed by the fact that the authors seemed to think that what was needed was a patriotic education telling positive stories. Sometimes the most patriotic thing to do is to be able to own up to past mistakes. Germany teaches the third reich and the holocaust, why should we avoid learning about things like the Amritsar massacre?
White people didn't start slavery. The history of slavery spans many cultures, nationalities, and religions from ancient times to the present day. Cough, cough present day African continent and Middle East still having it.

UK was one of the first countries to abolish slavery way before US. Yes, the British empire did some atrocities but so did every other empire in history. Colonialism is not equal to Nazism.

What most people don't realise or have read is that the British Empire did a lot of great things like try and abolish Sati in India (widow burning on a pyre) and the caste system which was very backward and had a history of abuse. Through Commonwealth scholarships and other education, the empire has uplifted a lot of people for decades.

See below ⬇

Reactions: 6
White people didn't start slavery. The history of slavery spans many cultures, nationalities, and religions from ancient times to the present day. Cough, cough present day African continent and Middle East still having it.

See below ⬇

Yes, I am aware of the complex history of the slave trade and how a range of people, including African nations, were complicit. But other countries committing genocide doesn't mean Germans shouldn't learn about the holocaust.

Regarding Sati, it's important to note that there were Indian people who fought against that also:

Yes, I am aware of the complex history of the slave trade and how a range of people, including African nations, were complicit. But other countries committing genocide doesn't mean Germans shouldn't learn about the holocaust.

Regarding Sati, it's important to note that there were Indian people who fought against that also:

It's not that germans shouldn't learn about the holocaust but they should learn that they weren't the only ones who've historically committed atrocities?

Yes I am aware that Indians were also involved in the abolishment of Sati. South Asian here.

But no, the British Empire didn't commit 'genocide.' That's a broad brush to paint the entire legacy of the British Empire with.

If you going to refer to the Bengal famine during WWII, it was a lie. https://winstonchurchill.hillsdale.edu/masani-bengal-famine/

Reactions: 3
It's not that germans shouldn't learn about the holocaust but they should learn that they weren't the only ones who've historically committed atrocities?
Yes, I would agree with statement.

Yes I am aware that Indians were also involved in the abolishment of Sati. South Asian here.

But no, the British Empire didn't commit 'genocide.' That's a broad brush to paint the entire legacy of the British Empire with.
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to infer that the British Empire had. I mean, it may have, but I am not well versed enough about the British Empire in each country it colonized to say.

I just mean to say, just because other countries have been tit, doesn't mean the UK shouldn't own up to it's tit.

Yes, I would agree with statement.

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to infer that the British Empire had. I mean, it may have, but I am not well versed enough about the British Empire in each country it colonized to say.

I just mean to say, just because other countries have been tit, doesn't mean the UK shouldn't own up to it's tit.
UK DID own up to its tit. What other empires do you know in history that still offers business, education and trade opportunities via the Commonwealth? Britain also offered citizenship to many of its colonies' citizens upto a certain time. Heck, Britain even offered citizenship to many Hong Kong protesters too.

The British government paid reparations totaling £20 million (equivalent to some £300 billion in 2018) to slave owners when it abolished slavery in 1833. Banking magnates Nathan Mayer Rothschild and his brother-in-law Moses Montefiore arranged for a loan to the government of $15 million to cover the vast sum – which represented almost half of the U.K. governent’s annual expenditure.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Compensation_Act_1837

Is this NOT enough?

Reactions: 7
UK was one of the first countries to abolish slavery way before US. Yes, the British empire did some atrocities but so did every other empire in history. Colonialism is not equal to Nazism.
History tends to focus on both the good and the bad, and the problem with history in schools right now is that the ones focused on Britain only focus on the good, the mention of anything bad is ignored completely . Even Britain's role in the slave trade tends to be downplayed a bit and the majority of it falls onto America

History tends to focus on both the good and the bad, and the problem with history in schools right now is that the ones focused on Britain only focus on the good, the mention of anything bad is ignored completely . Even Britain's role in the slave trade tends to be downplayed a bit and the majority of it falls onto America
I honestly think no school around the world is mentioning about the slavery in Middle East, Africa and China (Uyghurs et al).

We are heavily blaming the West for colonialism when we must actively sound the alarm about current day atrocities happening right now but oh well, white man bad.

Reactions: 9
UK DID own up to its tit. What other empires do you know in history that still offers business, education and trade opportunities via the Commonwealth? Britain also offered citizenship to many of its colonies' citizens upto a certain time. Heck, Britain even offered citizenship to many Hong Kong protesters too.

The British government paid reparations totaling £20 million (equivalent to some £300 billion in 2018) to slave owners when it abolished slavery in 1833. Banking magnates Nathan Mayer Rothschild and his brother-in-law Moses Montefiore arranged for a loan to the government of $15 million to cover the vast sum – which represented almost half of the U.K. governent’s annual expenditure.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_Compensation_Act_1837

Is this NOT enough?
The history of the British Empire should be more taught in schools than it is - that's all I'm saying. It certainly wasn't in the schools I went to as a kid.

We are heavily blaming the West for colonialism when we must actively sound the alarm about current day atrocities happening right now but oh well, white man bad.
This is a political issue that would be discussed in political classes more. You cannot counter failure to react to current events, which will no doubt will be discussed by historians one day in a lot more detail than they are now, and failure of the education system to give a fairer view of colonialism

~

An edit for a less rushed reply that's actually relevant to what I quoted
Politicians have a variety of jobs and fortunately that means they can focus on more than one issue at a given time
I too wish they focused more on China, and I will also say that they have made very light hearted attempts to debate and tackle the issue a bit but it's not enough. That doesn't however mean that they also can't focus on education or racism, things which are probably going to affect more of their electorate than global policy

Last edited:
The first video is meant to be satire but how accurate it was.

Second is an update from clown world.

• Sad
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Interesting discussion here. Not related to CRT but more to woke-ism.

Are the arts in crisis? This is the question raised by the case of Winston Marshall, a musician recently in the chart-topping band Mumford and Sons. Marshall found himself ‘cancelled’ earlier this year for recommending the book of prominent Right-wing journalist Andy Ngo discussing his dealings with the radical Left militant group, ANTIFA.

• Sad
Well exactly. She's pushing people away who agree with racial equality because they're a different colour to her. It makes no sense at all.
the one part of that video I agree with is that some people are faking that they're for racial equality and other social issues, for example woke bros who just pretend, to go with the flow. But that's it.

Reactions: 5