Crazy fandoms and the drama within them

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In the old days, you used to get stories of Trekkies who would do stuff like wear their cosplay uniform to their day job and make people call them commander, and more modern fandoms like Harry Potter and Sherlock ones are infamous in some quaters for the absolutely insane things the fans have got upto past and present.

Is anyone else on Tattle like me and fascinated by devotees who take things to levels you never realised existed? Like fighting over fanfiction and doxxing people for "shipping" the wrong characters with each other and so much more.

Have you, over the years, witnessed anything mental done in the name of fandom?

Reactions: 11
The Brosettes of the late 80s were insane
I remember seeing clips about them in a documentary about the 1980s. There was some poor old guy in utter distress because the Brosettes would hang around the street the twins lived in all day, doing nothing. He couldn't make head nor tail of it. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 2
In the old days, you used to get stories of Trekkies who would do stuff like wear their cosplay uniform to their day job and make people call them commander, and more modern fandoms like Harry Potter and Sherlock ones are infamous in some quaters for the absolutely insane things the fans have got upto past and present.

Is anyone else on Tattle like me and fascinated by devotees who take things to levels you never realised existed? Like fighting over fanfiction and doxxing people for "shipping" the wrong characters with each other and so much more.

Have you, over the years, witnessed anything mental done in the name of fandom?
omg meeee! I’m guessing you’re referring to Ms Scribe in the Potter fandom?

There’s certain kpop fans called sasaengs who go on the same flights as their fav band and take photos. They buy and sell photos and flight info too.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
One Direction fans were insane (literally)

I also think the Ingham family fans are like a cult

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm genuinely terrified of some of the "One Directioners" and/or "Beliebers". Nothing more scary than a hormonal teenage girl :p

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The Once-ler fandom was crazy. Seriously some of the liberties they took with that character...really weird.

• Wow
  • Haha
omg meeee! I’m guessing you’re referring to Ms Scribe in the Potter fandom?
Indeed but there was other stuff too, although it was a video expose about msscribe recently posted on Youtube that made me remember and inspired this thread.

The Once-ler fandom was crazy. Seriously some of the liberties they took with that character...really weird.
The OD fans that frighten me are the women old enough to be their mothers and maybe even grandmothers. Something deeply disturbing and oh so wrong there.

Reactions: 5
Dude you have no clue, I’m a year late but I’m 2017 I was apart of this fandom and some people in it doxxed me and chased me off the internet and the whole reason for it was because The persons boyfriend had a crush on me like 😳😬

• Wow
Reactions: 3
So pleased to see this thread. I have somehow found myself on Twitter following/being followed by people in the EastEnders - specifically Max Bowden (Ben) / Ballum (Ben and Callum) fandom. I know I could simply unfollow but I am now absolutely fascinated. Max Bowden must be the most patient man on the planet.

The thing now is that fans have access to celebrities in a way we never did before. They can tag them and interact with them… I used to be so happy if my idols had a picture in a magazine that week, never mind a like or follow.

There’s certainly a feeling of ownership now: I have noticed the language is different and people talk about their ‘faves’, being ‘proud’ of them (which I always struggle with a bit as I think that is sort of reserved for someone who is actually close to you) and this idea that people are ‘lucky’ to have that ‘fave’. What does this mean? You choose your ‘fave’ dont you? The fave doesn’t choose you!

I would love to ask people in the fandoms about this. But it’s terrifying. Any question would be seen as trolling or being unkind which I would not want. I am really interested though because I was an obsessive teenager and think it’s incredible how being a fan of someone or something has changed. I never knew other fans of the stuff I liked. Now there are whole communities and it’s competitive!

I’m not sure I would have liked to have this access to my idols like people do on social media. Would you?

Reactions: 7
Try telling a Gemma Collins fan that their idol is quite frankly just awful.

There lies nothing but pain.....

• Haha
The time some Lord of the Rings fans gave Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan some fan art of Pippin and Merry shagging. If I can find the pic of that moment I'll post it here. It was about 17 years ago since that day.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I’ve just Googled that. We’re talking about The Once-ler from The Lorax right? Wtf 😂 I had no idea he had a fandom never mind the fact that it was weird AF. 😳

Last edited:
  • Haha
I used to post on another forum about Big Brother way back when it was a thing. Because I supported a different couple one fruitloop tracked me down on twitter and literally pretended to be me, name and avatar. Luckily twitter and social media has never been important to me so I eventually thought “duck this with a stick” and just deleted my account. I suspect that person is probably still on there, six years later, with my long deceased pet hamster as an avatar waiting for me to log back on so they can tell me how wrong I am and that Jay McCray and Louise Whatsherface are the real deal and a love story for the ages.

Perhaps I shouldn’t really laugh because the person was clearly very very troubled. But my god what bizarre behaviour.

• Wow
There used to be an anime called Hetalia - each character was a different country and interacted with each other. Most of it was set in WWII. The main characters were Japan, Germany and Italy.

...you ended up with fans cosplaying in public in German WWII military uniforms. Heiling one block away from a Holocaust memorial. And another incident of posing in military uniform and pointing airsoft guns at a bleeping Synagogue

Screenshot 2021-08-13 18.33.40.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
The time some Lord of the Rings fans gave Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan some fan art of Pippin and Merry shagging. If I can find the pic of that moment I'll post it here. It was about 17 years ago since that day.
You have unlocked a memory I forgot I have lmao. Found it!

I was on Tumblr during the height of "superwholock". Dark times in every sense of the word.

• Haha
  • Wow
Harry Potter fans seem to be one big army ready to attack at any point anywhere on the internet.

A lot of Big Brother fans were mental when it came to certain housemates

Back when she was really popular Lady GaGa's 'Little monsters' were pretty unhinged (especially in the early days of twitter)

Madonna fans are often hardcore as well

MJ has a weird mass cult following too

Benedict Cumberbatch has some of the scariest fans I've seen. Look up the story of Raks Patel and prepare to be terrified.

Reactions: 1