Covid positive housemate - help

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey all - I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some sound advice on a house share situation I’m currently in.

One of my housemates (not a close friend FYI, just a house share) tested positive for covid-19 via two lateral flows on Sunday and is awaiting a PCR result. My issue at the moment is that she is supposed to be self isolating in her room, yet she is leaving every hour or so and is in the communal areas. Obviously I know she has to go to the kitchen to prepare food, but I feel as though leaving her room so often and wandering the house freely is incredibly inconsiderate to the rest of us who live here especially as most of us are WFH.

I messaged her this evening to ask her if she would leave her room less often and if she would wipe down the kitchen after she has used it. She has replied telling me she is depressed (she has some learning difficulties) and is leaving her room when it is essential and is wiping things down (this isn’t true).

To be honest I’m a bit stuck on what to do. Im very fearful of catching covid now in particular as I’m supposed to be spending Christmas with the family I couldn’t spend it with last year and would hate to pass it on. I have considered telling my landlord that I don’t think she’s taking it seriously but I also don’t want to be unkind if she’s struggling mentally.

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

Hey all - I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some sound advice on a house share situation I’m currently in.

One of my housemates (not a close friend FYI, just a house share) tested positive for covid-19 via two lateral flows on Sunday and is awaiting a PCR result. My issue at the moment is that she is supposed to be self isolating in her room, yet she is leaving every hour or so and is in the communal areas. Obviously I know she has to go to the kitchen to prepare food, but I feel as though leaving her room so often and wandering the house freely is incredibly inconsiderate to the rest of us who live here especially as most of us are WFH.

I messaged her this evening to ask her if she would leave her room less often and if she would wipe down the kitchen after she has used it. She has replied telling me she is depressed (she has some learning difficulties) and is leaving her room when it is essential and is wiping things down (this isn’t true).

To be honest I’m a bit stuck on what to do. Im very fearful of catching covid now in particular as I’m supposed to be spending Christmas with the family I couldn’t spend it with last year and would hate to pass it on. I have considered telling my landlord that I don’t think she’s taking it seriously but I also don’t want to be unkind if she’s struggling mentally.

Why Not have a kitchen rota? So you all know where you are, Do you have a separate loo? Get into the habit of wiping down before you use stuff

Keep your distance as best you can, wear a mask and wash your hands a lot. Wipe down surfaces regularly too. I know its frustrating but beyond politely asking Im not sure what you can do.
If it helps, I had covid (but didn't know!) and shared a tent with my husband and son, then obviously a house and neither got it. Some people it seems to spread easily and others not so much so try not to panic (hard when its xmas so soon, I know!) x

As Hope said, it doesn’t necessarily pass on as easily as you’d think. I have a good friend who spent 4 hours in a car (windows closed) with someone who was positive, and symptomatic and he never tested positive.

Wear a mask, wipe things down before you use them, including door knobs, light switches, high use touch points and avoid her. Try not to worry!

Reactions: 1
I’d report her to the landlord tbh. She is putting others health at risk. Why are you being considerate of her mental struggles when she is not being considerate of your health at all!?

Reactions: 3
I’d report her to the landlord tbh. She is putting others health at risk. Why are you being considerate of her mental struggles when she is not being considerate of your health at all!?
Mental health is just as important as physical health

Reactions: 19
Mental health is just as important as physical health
I absolutely know. I didn’t mean it to come across otherwise, what I’m saying is we all need to be mindful of others - therefore OP is being mindful of the roommates MH, the roommate should also be considerate of her housemates physical health.

Reactions: 5
I'm not really sure what the landlord would do about it to be honest. I expect she still pays her rent , and she has just as much right to be there as you.
And as long as she isn't leaving the boundaries of your property, she isn't doing anything against the isolation procedure .

I think she could be more courteous during your working hours. Maybe approach from the angle that she is disturbing your work and try to find a solution to that rather than focusing on the fact you worry about catching covid.

I think there’s not much you can do. Just take care of yourself, wipe down surfaces, wear a mask, wear gloves etc.

also I’m sure the landlord wouldn’t do anything. Besides, how can you prove she’s leaving her room unnecessarily or not wiping down surfaces? She could just say she is taking all necessary precautions. It’s really your word against hers, and if you reported her, sadly she could act out and do as she pleases. Legally, all she has to do is isolate, which she’s doing

Reactions: 5
Not much to add to what others have said since annoyingly there's not much you can do :( Hope you don't catch it!

Would the housemate agree to wear a mask when they leave the room? And also if there's more than 1 bathroom maybe designate one to them for a couple of weeks as well as taking turns in the kitchen. I appreciate isolation is, well, isolating, but out of consideration she should only leave her room for the bathroom and food. If worst comes to it idk if the rest of the house would want to help her with meals etc. to discourage her coming out?

Is there another toilet that just she can use? Would she agree to someone else preparing her meals and leaving them outside her door? Perhaps using paper plates and disposable cutlery?

Thank you for all of your replies I appreciate it 🙂

You’ve all put my mind at rest regarding the likelihood of me catching it. I’m not vulnerable but some of my family are and would hate to have to change Christmas plans. I’m just going to continue being as cautious as possible and test regularly.

Unfortunately, she’s still wandering around every hour or so which I really do find inconsiderate but as someone above has said she’s not breaking any rules🙁 she’s only sharing a bathroom with one other person who left her some cleaning stuff which she isn’t using and there’s very little you can do to force someone is there. Hopefully the fact that everyone else who lives here is clearly very annoyed with her may make her reconsider her behaviour

Have none of you offered to bring her some food and leave it outside her room ? how else is she supposed to eat if she's isolating and people complaining because she's using the kitchen ?

Reactions: 22
I really understand the fear of catching COVID but she can't spend 10 days or whatever it is just trapped in her room on her own. Especially if she's struggling with her mental health. Unfortunately this is one of the risks you have to accept when you share a house with other people. It sounds like she's following the rules and not leaving the house. You're already sharing the same air and COVID is airborne so I'm not sure that reducing how frequently she goes into the communal areas would necessarily reduce the likelihood that you would catch it - there's people who spend hours in a car or venue with someone with COVID who don't catch it, while others pass someone with it once and catch it. If you're really worried about it can you go home to your family early or go and stay away with your friends/family for a few days? If you're double jabbed you don't have to stay in the house with her but she has no choice but to stay there.

Reactions: 20
Have none of you offered to bring her some food and leave it outside her room ? how else is she supposed to eat if she's isolating and people complaining because she's using the kitchen ?
This response isn’t just to you FYI more to everyone who’s replied.

Obviously none of us care she’s using the kitchen (I’d hardly expect her to sit in one room and starve for 10 days!) it was more the fact that we felt a bit like she’s in the communal areas several times an hour and it wouldn’t kill her to wear a mask if others are around or to maybe just come down at mealtimes. We’ve all offered to help, we offered to bring her food to her room and asked if she’d like us to get her anything from the shops but everything’s been a firm no she doesn’t see the point. Maybe I am being harsh it can’t be easy being stuck inside for ten days, but there are another five of us living here and I didn’t think it was too much to ask that she cleans up after herself and to be a bit more mindful.

The point of me writing this post was to see if anyone else had experienced something similar and to hopefully put my mind at rest that we won’t necessarily get it. Thank you to everyone who has replied I’ll take the advice forward. 👍🏻

This response isn’t just to you FYI more to everyone who’s replied.

Obviously none of us care she’s using the kitchen (I’d hardly expect her to sit in one room and starve for 10 days!) it was more the fact that we felt a bit like she’s in the communal areas several times an hour and it wouldn’t kill her to wear a mask if others are around or to maybe just come down at mealtimes. We’ve all offered to help, we offered to bring her food to her room and asked if she’d like us to get her anything from the shops but everything’s been a firm no she doesn’t see the point. Maybe I am being harsh it can’t be easy being stuck inside for ten days, but there are another five of us living here and I didn’t think it was too much to ask that she cleans up after herself and to be a bit more mindful.

The point of me writing this post was to see if anyone else had experienced something similar and to hopefully put my mind at rest that we won’t necessarily get it. Thank you to everyone who has replied I’ll take the advice forward. 👍🏻
Thanks for explaining that I thought maybe she was stuck for food/ drinks etc . I don’t have any advice to offer only to keep reminding her that she needs to be more responsible with health measures ,does she have any family that could maybe have a word with her ? maybe she would be more inclined to listen to them than her housemates ,her SN may make it difficult to understand what she needs to do and family might get that across to her in a way she’ll understand.

Move out.
Find a place of your own.
Is that simple really...

Is she wearing a mask when she leaves her room where possible? If not why not?

Ultimately you can’t force her so if she won’t, she won’t. All you can do is wear one yourself in shared areas as much as possible.

A recent meta-study showed the importance of mask wearing - perhaps share the findings with her? Most news outlets covered it so you could find it from whichever media source she goes to (if you know) for credibility.

Good luck OP - fingers crossed you keep testing negative

Agree with others - if nothing else, can she not at least wear a mask when leaving her room? Maybe try and put your foot down about that as I feel like it'd be the most likely to make a difference.