Covid - isolation length confusion

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know I should probably know this by now but this is the first time I’ve had it.
Came down with it Friday but was negative Friday and Saturday, tested positive on Sunday.
Is it self isolation for 5 days from the positive test or is it 5 days from the start of symptoms? The nhs app is saying I have to isolate until end of Wednesday and then I am good to go but I’m not too sure?

And to be honest, if I still feel awful on Thursday then I’m not returning until I’m feeling better as I’m in a people facing role with potentially vulnerable clients.

So I guess I’m after some clarification? Thank you in advance!

I always took it from the positive test, I think some might say start it from the symptoms but I preferred doing it from the actual test itself because I knew from it that I definitely had it, I didn't go out till I had had at least 5 clear days of it being negative

This was all back when it was still mostly lockdown though, I think it's more relaxed now but I'd still if I got it be making sure I had 5 clear days of negative tests before going out

Reactions: 1
I always took it from the positive test, I think some might say start it from the symptoms but I preferred doing it from the actual test itself because I knew from it that I definitely had it, I didn't go out till I had had at least 5 clear days of it being negative

This was all back when it was still mostly lockdown though, I think it's more relaxed now but I'd still if I got it be making sure I had 5 clear days of negative tests before going out
Thank you, that’s what I think too, would rather be safe than sorry and it means I will still be back to do my shifts over the holidays with less risk of infecting others! I’ll speak to my manager tomorrow but I just feel that if I’ve been hit this bad as a relatively healthy person then I don’t want a vulnerable client getting it.

God I don’t actually know! But I think it’s more relaxed now.

My husband has Covid (first time) and still quite unwell and been like this since 10 days ago
Since he tested positive he’s been keeping away from anyone and working from home.

Since he tested positive and I haven’t felt great I decided not to go into the office on Monday just I case I was brewing something. I’m lucky to be able to have this luxury.

It’s now Tuesday I feel like death but not testing positive yet. It’s exactly the same symptoms I had as last time (not so severe) and I’m assuming we are both contagious and avoiding ppl until I either feel better and my husband tests negative.

Harder if you live alone. I would avoid the office and wear a mask to the shops

Yeah I live alone, luckily I have everything I need and if necessary, will have to ask the office to drop phone and laptop off so I can work from home until I’m better.
Unfortunately I can’t wear a mask due to ptsd and panic/trauma response - so I would rather just stay home to protect everyone. I won’t be going to the shops, if I needed anything I would get a food delivery and have no contact delivery. Hopefully I’m over the worst of it and I can get back in to work soon without infecting anyone 🤞🏼

It’s all just a conscience matter now as to how long you want to isolate for
For me I work nhs
We get 2 days off initially after the postive , back to work on day 3 even with symptoms but wear a mask if we feel fine to return but if you still need time off as unwell , it goes from medical suspension to sick

I know I should probably know this by now but this is the first time I’ve had it.
Came down with it Friday but was negative Friday and Saturday, tested positive on Sunday.
Is it self isolation for 5 days from the positive test or is it 5 days from the start of symptoms? The nhs app is saying I have to isolate until end of Wednesday and then I am good to go but I’m not too sure?

And to be honest, if I still feel awful on Thursday then I’m not returning until I’m feeling better as I’m in a people facing role with potentially vulnerable clients.

There’s no legal obligation to isolate any more, but I’d avoid people until you test negative to make sure you’re not contagious and don’t give to someone as a Christmas present! Feel better soon.

Thank you all. I’m going to do a test on Thursday morning as tomorrow is day 5 since symptoms and go back IF I feel able to along with a negative test result. I’ll speak to my manager tomorrow.

In Aus there is no mandatory isolation rules anymore - it is just recommended to isolate for 5 days. I tested positive on Sunday, have had severe symptoms from then until today (Wednesday) I’m starting to feel a bit better but I’ll be isolating until Friday at least, as I’d hate to pass it on to anyone right before Xmas. tit timing given I haven’t even finished my shopping.🫠
Hope you’re okay!

Thank you guys, yeah there is no rule now on isolation, just return when feeling well enough to.
I have had a terrible migraine overnight and had to take a couple of doses of sumatriptan and the fatigue is still horrendous so I’m off today but will see how I’m feeling tomorrow and hopefully return to work.

Thank you guys, yeah there is no rule now on isolation, just return when feeling well enough to.
I have had a terrible migraine overnight and had to take a couple of doses of sumatriptan and the fatigue is still horrendous so I’m off today but will see how I’m feeling tomorrow and hopefully return to work.
The only thing I would say is if you are out in public (shops etcc) or work please work a mask so as not to infect anybody else

Thank you all. I’m going to do a test on Thursday morning as tomorrow is day 5 since symptoms and go back IF I feel able to along with a negative test result. I’ll speak to my manager tomorrow.
Just thought I'd say on the basis of a negative test, my Mum took 4 weeks to test negative.

We isolated for 10 days just to be sure, but I believe they say you are contagious for up to 5 days from first testing positive.

Just thought I'd say on the basis of a negative test, my Mum took 4 weeks to test negative.

We isolated for 10 days just to be sure, but I believe they say you are contagious for up to 5 days from first testing positive.
In peak of covid , once you tested postive , we couldn’t reswab anyone for 90days because that’s how long a residual positive can last

Reactions: 2
Unfortunately, I can’t stay off until a negative test result, the rule at work is to return to work when you feel well enough. Of course we are all sanitising and wiping down our desks/phones/laptops and I haven’t seen any clients face to face since returning, we will be social distancing from clients when they come in too.
If I could, I would stay off or work from home but that isn’t possible in my job. I’m fine now, apart from lingering catarrh, and I haven’t gone to any shops or anything since being ill, just home and work. I’m doing all I can to keep others safe. Thank you everyone.

Unfortunately, I can’t stay off until a negative test result, the rule at work is to return to work when you feel well enough. Of course we are all sanitising and wiping down our desks/phones/laptops and I haven’t seen any clients face to face since returning, we will be social distancing from clients when they come in too.
If I could, I would stay off or work from home but that isn’t possible in my job. I’m fine now, apart from lingering catarrh, and I haven’t gone to any shops or anything since being ill, just home and work. I’m doing all I can to keep others safe. Thank you everyone.
Sorry, that's what I was saying. You can be positive for months so don't rely on a negative test to mean you're safe to return.
Because that could mean you're off for months.
I was just referring to when you said about returning if you feel well enough along with a negative test. 😊

I tested positive for 15 days so I wouldn’t go just off the test- after 10 days you should be fine. A doctor told me as long as you don’t have a fever you’re not infectious, my fever only lasted a few days but I would say I was still congested and not great for about 3 weeks.

The NHS website says to go from the day symptoms started I believe, however if you’re potentially around vulnerable people then as you say, maybe take it from your positive test date?