Cover letter

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else really struggle with these? Applying for a job I’ve wanted for a while. I’m really struggling to keep the cover letter to one sheet. I look at things to cut out but I want to make sure I get an interview so want to get everything in that I can for the application as to why I’m a good fit.

should I cut it down or should I just send it at slightly over?

I would personally try and cut it down. If its too long, they may not even read the whole thing - you want to keep it concise.

Reactions: 4
I would suggest keeping it brief and to the point:

... first paragraph: why you decided to apply
... second paragraph: why you are the best candidate (talk about experience, study, etc.)
... third paragraph: your availability

Reactions: 3
I’d say short and sweet! Whether you get an interview will probably come from your CV or application form rather than the letter.

Good luck!

I work in recruitment for a company and we generally look out for cover letters that have kept it specific as to why they want to work for us in particular. Also tailoring it to the JD and person specification. But it does depend massively on the company recruiting I think!

Reactions: 1
Short and sweet and hand write it on heavier cream paper with a matching envelope. It’ll stand out a bit more than normal white printer paper and show you’ve put time and effort into rather than printed off a letter and simply changed the addressee

I’ve only ever written a few sentences for a cover letter.. the cv talks for itself really.

I work in recruitment for a company and we generally look out for cover letters that have kept it specific as to why they want to work for us in particular. Also tailoring it to the JD and person specification. But it does depend massively on the company recruiting I think!
Same and I agree.
When screening applicants I really appreciate a motivational letter, but only if it has added value. Meaning, please don't just write out all your experiences, that's what you resume is for. Tell them why the vacancy caught your attention and why you want to work for their company in particular. Make it personal, yet professional.

Short and sweet and hand write it on heavier cream paper with a matching envelope. It’ll stand out a bit more than normal white printer paper and show you’ve put time and effort into rather than printed off a letter and simply changed the addressee
Assuming you'll apply online, I wouldn't recommend this. Short, to the point motivational letter as an attachment (pdf) or as email.

Reactions: 2
Cover letter template:

Dear .....

I am contacting you regarding the vacancy for the position of (blah blah) as advertised on (blah).
As you can see from my attached (or enclosed) CV, I meet all the requirements for the position and have a proven track record of success within this industry.I am available for interview at any time, and can provide excellent references.
Given the opportunity I am sure I will prove to be a valuable asset to your company.
Yours,
Me.
(I advise on this sort of stuff for a living)

Cover letter template:

Dear .....

I am contacting you regarding the vacancy for the position of (blah blah) as advertised on (blah).
As you can see from my attached (or enclosed) CV, I meet all the requirements for the position and have a proven track record of success within this industry.I am available for interview at any time, and can provide excellent references.
Given the opportunity I am sure I will prove to be a valuable asset to your company.
Yours,
Me.
(I advise on this sort of stuff for a living)
Honestly though, if I'd read this, I'd assume they just send this template to everyone (only changing job title and company name), it doesn't give me an idea of the applicant's personality or motivation for applying, which is what I'm looking for in a motivational letter.

I would strongly recommend making it more personal (but professional ofcourse), you have to differentiate yourself from other applicants.
For example, adapt your letter to the company culture: if they're pretty "chill" on their website, reflect that in your writing style, is it a more corporate environment, then keep it more formal.
But I'm not from the UK (don't know if OP is), so I guess things might be different than here.

Honestly though, if I'd read this, I'd assume they just send this template to everyone (only changing job title and company name), it doesn't give me an idea of the applicant's personality or motivation for applying, which is what I'm looking for in a motivational letter.

I would strongly recommend making it more personal (but professional ofcourse), you have to differentiate yourself from other applicants.
For example, adapt your letter to the company culture: if they're pretty "chill" on their website, reflect that in your writing style, is it a more corporate environment, then keep it more formal.
But I'm not from the UK (don't know if OP is), so I guess things might be different than here.
This is a widely used approach in the uk for sending with cvs. Employers don’t want lengthy letters. Your cv is your marketing/branding document and this is a simple cover letter. If companies ask for specifics including motivation etc then of course you’d include this.

This is a widely used approach in the uk for sending with cvs. Employers don’t want lengthy letters. Your cv is your marketing/branding document and this is a simple cover letter. If companies ask for specifics including motivation etc then of course you’d include this.
I never stated you should send a long letter, on the contrary (see my first comment in this thread). Half of an A4 is plenty.
I just don't see added value in a formal cover letter like that (unless you attach your resume and motivational letter), it doesn't stand out. Recruiters screen many resumes and cover/motivational letters, again you want to differentiate from your competitors. Especially if you'd be applying for a popular role.
But that's my two cents.

Good luck OP! Don't overthink it, be yourself and don't write a book 😊
I'm sure you'll do great!

Edited cause Tattle was being weird 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I usually just write a sentence or two on why the company / role was of interest. Then I pick out a few key things they are looking for from the job description and relate that to my experience. E.g if they want someone to manage SEO and content I'd say I have done that in my previous role, increasing traffic by X per cent and managed to get the company featured in the Guardian etc.

I think it's best to keep it brief because otherwise recruiters might not read it, especially if they are getting a lot of applications.

I usually just write a sentence or two on why the company / role was of interest. Then I pick out a few key things they are looking for from the job description and relate that to my experience. E.g if they want someone to manage SEO and content I'd say I have done that in my previous role, increasing traffic by X per cent and managed to get the company featured in the Guardian etc.

I think it's best to keep it brief because otherwise recruiters might not read it, especially if they are getting a lot of applications.
Good approach!

These days, for a high percentage of jobs - the first sweep is an automated sweep searching for key words. If you can insert a few words/phrases that match up with the job description you'll be off to a flying start.