Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Danielle1

Hey,

This is my first ever thread. Is it sad that I feel weirdly accomplished? 😂 probably I'm a bit weird, but when I earned the right to make one I wasnt sure if I'd ever have an idea for one! But I thought this was would be a good one.

So after planning on living with a friend and it unfortunately not working out - I'm now isolated alone. I know many of you are and if like me are wondering how you are staying busy all day with no one else around. Not to say, it's easy for those living with others because it won't be but many people I know that have family and children are keeping them in a routine doing their own home school my sister is actually quite enjoying it seems however it must be hard for parents too we have no idea so find it hard to relate although we are all in our homes we have quite different experiences. Also some of us don't have much friends or family in usual times or if we do they are too busy with the kids to talk for long.

So just thought a thread for us to get some more ideas on how to stay busy alone, how to try to not feel isolated in isolation 😂 and that even if you just want to post mundane things no one cares about you can here promise I won't judge and I will read it. (Influencers get to tell us when they've popped to tesco on an average day so in these times if you wanna talk here's a space to do it)

• Heart
Reactions: 14

hrh89

VIP Member
Gosh I am really very sad today and very alone. I’ve mentioned before it’s my birthday soon and my dad text me saying he could not get me a card because all the shops were shut... nice. Last time I checked you could get cards in all the supermarkets. This is him all over.
To make it worse my mum who I spend every birthday with is in hospital and I won’t be seeing her obviously. So it’s all shit and I just seem to cry most of the day. Everything seems so hopeless. I know birthdays are not everything but it just makes it all the more lonely to know you’ll be by yourself. My dad obviously knows mum is ill and I’m alone so you would think you’d make a little effort wouldn’t you.

• Sad
Reactions: 14

hrh89

VIP Member
Thanks for starting this thread! I do feel a pang of envy when people post about partners or children. It’s horrible being in a house by yourself and you can’t really go out much. It’s awfully lonely and quite depressing. Honestly I am struggling with how to fill my time.

• Sad
Reactions: 13

Danielle1

Hey everyone,

Sorry to hear that a few of you are struggling today. I'm no professional just a 22 year old lassie who's struggled with mental health issues myself but I will try my best to listen and support all of you. Anyone feel free to message me if you need someone to to talk to as much as we can have friends & family sometimes we can feel guilty for calling them too often, being a burden or that they just won't understand. I will be here to listen to you.

When I was struggling in the homeless I had a support worker who told me of these different techniques and ways of thinking that can help when you are struggling and for a long time I did roll my eyes at it and think how is me writing down five things I'm grateful for going to cure my anxiety? And I was right it didn't but it did give me some happiness just to take a few minutes to think of the things in life I appreciate. I'm not one to preach and if you think it's all a load of shite then that's totally cool too but maybe just think of things you have done before that you can do in the house that you might still enjoy. Try to not let the news consume you and remind yourself of the positive stories an 87 year old man in the UK who had been in hospital has recovered and went home today! (was going to make a thread for the good news stories only don't know if anyone would be interested in another CV thread though?).

Try to establish a routine if you think that would help you. These timetables and checklists don't have to only be for the kids 😂 Take a moment to make sure you are eating well, catching up with people, doing something relaxing like a nice long bath or do some drawing. Even if it's something you perhaps haven't done before like writing a song, poem, story. I love creative writing my poems are very cringey but will post if anyone is interested haha. Spring clean and get a bag ready of clothes and things to donate to a charity shop when this is all over. Learning a new skill could keep you busy I've seen that there are free online classes to learn sign language. Think of good ways you could use this time and when you look back on it will think yes it was hard but I actually learnt alot about myself. Remember that everyone is different and these are only ideas what works for one person won't work for everyone else so if it sounds like pish I'm sorry. 😂

When you are struggling mentally not one thing is going to be a magic fix but if one action you take makes you feel that little bit brighter then it was worthwhile. Look for help when you need it & give it to others when you can. Sometimes trying our absolute best is all we have to rely on in times like this. Hope for your future once this is over do you want to go back to how things were? Do you want things to change? Go study something new, visit new places, meet new people? This can be a scary time but also a time for reflection just don't let that turn into dwelling as difficult as that can be, we cannot change our pasts however much we want to but we are here right now. Be present in this moment. It's difficult when you are worried what if I get sick but if you are healthy now tell yourself that. I am healthy right now I will be happy about that. Today you are able to make decisions and steps that can positively change your future. I've realised in that in this time of isolation - I probably was very fucking wrong everytime someone told me they thought I needed extra professional support and I said no I don't I'm fine. And even if that's all you've realised is that you do need help thats great we will book our counselling sessions when this is over. 😂Change is possible. How your feeling in this moment is just that a moment no one knows how long it will last but it will be replaced by a happier one I promise you that but for now we are with you in this hard time. 💗 Stay as connected as you can. Remember that you are capable of so much more than you give yourself credit for xxxx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

KateESJ

VIP Member
I’m not t the same as you all at all as they’re not always good company (I can only listen to the same story a handful of times before it gets old 🙃) but my kids are company and they keep me busy.

I hope you all that are completely alone stay healthy both physically and mentally. My inbox is always open, I’m deprived of adult conversation so always happy to chat!

• Heart

rubbish

Checking in! Thinking of you all! Walks are super important. I've put some audiobooks on and done puzzles which has also helped clear my mind a bit. Zoom cocktail hour with friends also has been helpful.

A thought that I found to be incredibly comforting today: At least I'm not stuck inside with my cockwomble of an ex. Think Simon Hooper level of narcissism mixed with absolute psychopath bellend.

Never has waking up alone been such a relief!

• Haha

Good Egg

VIP Member
I’ve come from the other thread.

I’m feeling so anxious since the news of lockdown. Dull ache in my chest (anxiety)

I’m a single mum and feel so scared. I’m here to listen and say we are all in this together - I’m here for you (please be here for me too) 😢

• Sad

Candytuft

VIP Member
I am alone because I was widowed in January 2018. In a way I am glad that my husband isn’t here because the worry would have killed me. He was very ill for 4 years. Crying ohdear

Can I just say that I read everyone’s posts and think about you. Then I write about my experiences. Just to vent I think . Sometimes I feel selfish.

• Sad
Reactions: 11

DoctorWho

Chatty Member
I’m home alone too self isolating.
My family offered for me to go to theirs but I’d honestly spend it alone.

plans are, endless gin, wine, Netflix & of course Tattle 🙌🏻

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11

Londoncailín

VIP Member
It also must be hard for single parents I've thought. There was a woman in a local Facebook group feeling bad for having to take her young children out to supermarkets because people were telling her it's better for them to be at home. She has no option though and is doing her best I told her and don't feel guilty in a two parent household if one person goes out and leaves the kids at home and gets infected while outside and brings it back the kids could still catch it that way. And remember kids seem to be less likely to get symptoms at all. I see single parents as amazing doing everything on your own ❤ join in here if you want or perhaps you could make one just for single parents it would be difficult for you differently also with no adult conversation xx
Single mum with zero family in the UK. My son isn’t a very young child, but it’s still very difficult being the sole adult in the house at a time like this. The worry of anything happening to me and how vulnerable my son would be.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Hello, I'm new to this thread and hope you don't mind me joining in. I live alone (north east) with my dog and cat, no friends or family nearby - I moved here just before Christmas so haven't got to know anyone yet. I have a guilty secret though - I actually don't mind this self isolation thing at all, to be honest. I'm quite enjoying being able to shut the front door and please myself what I'm going to do, and sort of forget all the crap that's going on out there (& all the crap that's been cluttering up my life for too long...!) I've got plenty of books to read, paintings to do, and if the housework and ironing doesn't get done as often at the moment, then what the hell. Nobody's crossing my threshold to see anytime soon. And there's Masterchef three nights a week - what's not to like? As long as my sons check in regularly on WhatsApp so I know they're ok, I can do this :D

• Heart

Jane565

Chatty Member
I've just texted old fling out of loneliness and the need for some banter and boy oh boy do i feel cringe now. Ugh, take my phone away!
well youve heard of drunk dialling an ex this is just isolation dialling. we are in strange times so dont beat yourself up about it. just beat him up when this ends instead 😂

• Haha

Candytuft

VIP Member
Hello ! I am on my own. I have two grown up stepsons but they are not near me. Love them and the grandchildren dearly but who knows when I shall see them. I am also old, retired and have health problems. I have got food in for about 2 months, if I am frugal. All I want to do right now is comfort eat ☹ Here’s hoping online shopping starts to calm down because I depend on it. There are groups on Facebook who help with shopping but luckily no need yet. Trying not to worry but it’s hard to concentrate on a book or a film just now. Time to stop obsessing. I can’t do any more than stay home.

hrh89

VIP Member
Well it’s my birthday today and it’s the most awful feeling I feel so alone. I don’t even usually care much for birthdays but this feels especially raw when I’m literally spending it alone which I’ve never done before. There are also things in my life beyond this damn virus that are just making this all so painful. I didn’t even get out of bed until 2pm because i thought whats the point

• Sad
Reactions: 9

conrea37

VIP Member
Hello!
I live alone, have no kids/partner, but still going to work as I'm a key worker. That is somewhat keeping me sane. I'm a massive introvert with social anxiety but not sure I could manage 3 weeks at home alone!

KateESJ

VIP Member
👋🏻

I’m stuck in with an almost 4 year old and a 13 month old. So not alone at all, but there’s only so much alone time with my kids I can handle 😔 gonna go loony.

virtual, long distance hugs.💗

• Heart

Dannie

Chatty Member
I just can’t stop shaking.
I’ve calmed down abIt. I sat outside looked at the stars in the sky.
it’s the simple things like looking at the night sky. I have been a mess for days. I take beta blockers for physical symptoms of anxiety. I can’t take antidepressants due to the side effects. I have gone from 1 a day to 3 a day and the weight is falling off me. However today it’s like I have had a good inner shake and I went into the garden and just done some weeding, cleaning and tidying and tomorrow I’m going to paint the fence. I been thinking of getting a dog for the last few years but I always stopped myself thinking I won’t be able to go on holiday as much, my house wont be as clean and tidy as it’s now etc. Since this situation as happened I said to my husband screw it. All those things we thought was important isn't- it’s the simple things in life. Walking along the beach with a dog, looking at the stars, gardening, reading a book etc. Anything that makes you smile. Im determined to live simply with less stuff,
I have babbled now but the point I’m trying to make is our emotional health is just important as our physical health. You take care ok and take each day as it comes. Be kind to yourself. This difficult time will pass x

hrh89

VIP Member
I am alone because I was widowed in January 2018. In a way I am glad that my husband isn’t here because the worry would have killed me. He was very ill for 4 years. Crying ohdear

Can I just say that I read everyone’s posts and think about you. Then I write about my experiences. Just to vent I think . Sometimes I feel selfish.
you’re not selfish! We all have our problems, I certainly vent mine on here! Our issues may be different but we are all feeling the loneliness of this situation and we are here for each other. I am so sorry you lost your husband sending love to you 🥰