Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it really that dangerous? Or just like swine flu that only ended up killing a tiny fraction of the people that die every year from the normal flu.

It doesn't seem to be spreading that quickly but 25 dead. The outbreak city on China has only been put into lockdown over a week after the outbreak so they don't seem that worried

Reactions: 2
Just got an email in work from Securitas Security about it, whilst the guy sitting in front of me is coughing his guts up lol

Reactions: 1
Fiancé's colleagues husband is away to China for Chinese new year and her family lives in the province where the outbreak is 🙂. I'm trying to not read about it as I think the media like to fear monger. I remember being terrified of ebola when there really was no need to be.

Reactions: 4
I think it’s another sensationalised story that the press have picked up on. YES there has been some deaths, but 97% of people have survived it, with elderly and immunocompromised people sadly passing away. The average healthy person has nothing to worry about. As people above have said, I think it’s another swine flu/Ebola type thing. Although I have severe health anxiety so I’m trying to be rational about it all.

Reactions: 6
As long as it doesn't mutate it will be ok. Main concern will be for people with underlying illnesses :( :(

I would just be worried for babies and children really only because I have a 9 month old and I’m battling a case of post partum anxiety about things harming her, I hope it comes nowhere near her

If you want FACTS about this, rather than sensationalist headlines read the World Health Organisation's information page here https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
I really don't know enough about it, but journalists I have some trust in don't seem to rate the WHO that highly
Screenshot_2020-01-26-12-40-30-099_com.twitter.android.jpg

Seems very unprecedented to have 50 million people on "lockdown" in China. All schools are closed in Hong Kong for the next few weeks also. Is it a bit of a test or is it something they're that much more worried about than anything else in the last few decades?

What will happen if it spreads worldwide and rapidly? People stay at home and everything grinds to a halt?

Those photos of the live animals for sale in China markets to eat turn my veggie stomach.

The dire animal welfare standards in China is the main reason I have no desire to visit the country.

Reactions: 19
German state media is reporting that it's getting stronger

I have seen a video of a nurse in Wuhan and she says the Chinese government are not being upfront and there are at least 90,000 cases. If this is correct or not it is still worrying.

Edited to add....the video also stated the virus was into its second mutation.

I’m not worried about it! Remember the Ebola thing? That came and went pretty quickly and I survived that 😂😂

Reactions: 9
Good info from this guy on twitter, worth a read through his recent timeline
A transmission rate of 2.6 sounds very serious. It'll be months before a rushed immunisation is ready to test.

Then again I've only recently watched the planet of the apes reboot, and most people were killed from a virus in that 😂

Reactions: 1
This is the beginning of the zombie apocalypse we’ve all been waiting for. Calling it now. 🧟‍♀️

Edited - nah, I’m kidding. I don’t think it will come to much over here. A lot of scaremongering from newspapers.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
All these are most likely to have come from bats, it's much less deadly than sars but is much more infectious and most of the people that died have compromised health apparently.
5e2b71d562fa8103f13d51a8.jpeg

It took almost four months for SARS to spread to 1,000 people. The Wuhan coronavirus has infected more than 1,200 people in just 25 days.

Reactions: 5
I wasn’t worried but the news is making me feel more worried each day 😪
I avoid the news. Rememeber they create content that will draw people in and often it is based on fear mongering. Positive news won't get as many viewers. Take time away from it if needed.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.