Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it too soon to stock up on tinned foods and stay indoors for the foreseeable? 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I am concerned about this one. I’m not aware of a city ever being shut down before. I also don’t trust the Chinese government they are very secretive just like Russia was with Chernobyl.
I haven’t got my tin foil hat on yet but I have been compiling lists in my head of what I would need to have in the larder to withstand two months of staying indoors.

Yel

It does seem to be much more serious than SARS with how many have it and how quickly it's spreading, but the fatality rate is much lower. If China is being accurate..

Can't remember the stock market falling with the other ones? Maybe because of the knock on effect on the Chinese economy. Still doesn't seem to be any worse than the seasonal flu.

1580542981384.png

The World Health Organisation have declared the coronavirus outbreak a public-health emergency of international concern, so that in itself is worrying. We travelled home from Asia on Monday and every single person without exception was masked up at the airport, including all staff and us! Air crew wore masks and gloves throughout the entire flight.

• Wow
Reactions: 1

Yel

The World Health Organisation have declared the coronavirus outbreak a public-health emergency of international concern
I think that's more of an automatic thing once human to human transmission was confirmed outside of China.

I'm not really sure the masks will do much (just guessing), it's the eyes that are most at risk so swimming goggles are probably far more effective

Having been to many parts of China this is not true... if anything the people have terrible public etiquette, spitting in the street, blowing their noses without a tissue, burping without covering their mouths ... no soap in public bathrooms... it’s easy to see how it has spread!
I agree they are quite different people along with their mistreatment of animals also (ie fur and making all make up there be tested on animals. Hence why MAC and other big brands won’t stop because they have such a huge market over there)

• Sad
I think that's more of an automatic thing once human to human transmission was confirmed outside of China.

I'm not really sure the masks will do much (just guessing), it's the eyes that are most at risk so swimming goggles are probably far more effective
yes you need your eyes covered too. Masks only help with hand to mouth transition. To be honest I was more concerned with sanitising the area in and around my seat on the plane as I usually do!

I have a friend traveling home from china to England on Thursday. Anyone know what the deal is? Will she have to have the two weeks isolation?

Yel

I have a friend traveling home from china to England on Thursday. Anyone know what the deal is? Will she have to have the two weeks isolation?
She'll probably just get given a leaflet, the health minister has been telling people to self isolate 🙄 even in Wuhan the risk is low but employers and unis should allow the time off, you'd hope

Reactions: 2
I don’t think so unless she came directly from Wuhan? My work colleague has just flown back from China this weekend and theyre letting her into work! I’m not too keen on her sitting in the office to be honest!!

• Wow
Reactions: 6

Attachments

I think it is like any other virus that the old, young, pregnant and people with compromised immune systems need to be VERY careful.
Saying that we don’t really know what is going on in China as the government there is lying and covering things up. Might have been going on for ages.
The thing that upsets me the most is that the Chinese government has told people their pets pose a risk so they have been killing their own pets 😔😷

• Sad
Reactions: 7
So glad to have found something about this on here. I spent my whole day at work today discussing this virus.

I live and work in Germany and work in an international context at a German university. My job is to organize Language Schools that are attended by ca 100 people from all over the world, including China. The students are staying for about 4 weeks.
I’ve had participants, partners, scholarship providers etc contact me about it. The zlanguage school starts this week and everyone is so concerned about Chinese students joining.
We actually had 11 people from China on the list but they have all cancelled now.

I’m still a bit wary because at this point it’s not about Chinese people vs non-Chinese people. With international travel being so normal, there is a chance to also catch the infection on the plane or in an airport somewhere. We have people from 30 countries joining us.

In the end, my real concern is that I’m 7 months pregnant and not sure how to handle this and also being truly concerned about the health and safety of my baby...

Anyway, just wanted to share.

So glad to have found something about this on here. I spent my whole day at work today discussing this virus.

I live and work in Germany and work in an international context at a German university. My job is to organize Language Schools that are attended by ca 100 people from all over the world, including China. The students are staying for about 4 weeks.
I’ve had participants, partners, scholarship providers etc contact me about it. The zlanguage school starts this week and everyone is so concerned about Chinese students joining.
We actually had 11 people from China on the list but they have all cancelled now.

I’m still a bit wary because at this point it’s not about Chinese people vs non-Chinese people. With international travel being so normal, there is a chance to also catch the infection on the plane or in an airport somewhere. We have people from 30 countries joining us.

In the end, my real concern is that I’m 7 months pregnant and not sure how to handle this and also being truly concerned about the health and safety of my baby...

I would share your concerns with the Uni and tell them as you are 7 months pregnant you don’t want to chance being at the school.
Maybe ask your Dr to write a letter stating you are vulnerable to disease due to your late stage pregnancy

Reactions: 4
Well it’s not like people are overreacting. I’m in bed with flu. Been ill since Sunday. Have 3 different texts saying I should get checked for coronavirus.

I’m in Scotland 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Sad

you spent the WHOLE DAY discussing it?
id hand my notice in if I had to sit next to you, no offence

• Haha
Reactions: 5
you spent the WHOLE DAY discussing it?
id hand my notice in if I had to sit next to you, no offence
Offense taken. Wasn’t my wish to discuss it, I’ve had others approach me and call me about this all day. I had plenty of other things to do, believe me.
Anyway...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.