Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I avoid the news. Rememeber they create content that will draw people in and often it is based on fear mongering. Positive news won't get as many viewers. Take time away from it if needed.
I keep trying to tell myself that...wish I could listen...my anxiety is so high right now :(

Reactions: 3
A transmission rate of 2.6 sounds very serious. It'll be months before a rushed immunisation is ready to test.

Then again I've only recently watched the planet of the apes reboot, and most people were killed from a virus in that 😂
Ha, all my knowledge about novel virus transmission is from a monologue Kate Winslet gives in Soderberg’s film Contagion - thanks Kate for teaching me about R-0 and fomites 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I keep trying to tell myself that...wish I could listen...my anxiety is so high right now :(
I wouldn't get worried about this, there's a small chance it could ever become an issue for people in the UK.

This is strangely reassuring, showing the city in China that looks like an apocalypse as it is everyone's staying inside to avoid the spread

I wouldn't get worried about this, there's a small chance it could ever become an issue for people in the UK.

This is strangely reassuring, showing the city in China that looks like an apocalypse as it is everyone's staying inside to avoid the spread

I know I shouldn’t. I’m much better than I was about Ebola a few years ago, I made myself so so sick worrying about that x

Reactions: 1
I know I shouldn’t. I’m much better than I was about Ebola a few years ago, I made myself so so sick worrying about that x
I used to be the same. I am a huge hypochondriac too so it really doesn't help. Turning off the news in general was best for me. I check in a little but not every day.

I'm less worried now, not a single case outside China of person to person transmission

Reactions: 2
Considering almost everyone in China walks around with a facemask on too. ...
Having been to many parts of China this is not true... if anything the people have terrible public etiquette, spitting in the street, blowing their noses without a tissue, burping without covering their mouths ... no soap in public bathrooms... it’s easy to see how it has spread!

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
It’s good to remember how viruses work and thrive, they want and need healthy hosts to carry and spread the virus.

Usually the worst cases of a virus die with the host because they’re too prevalent, however the milder cases which we live with and can recover from are the ones that we can carry and spread until eventually they’re filtered out.

it’s also good to remember that there are 1.3 billion people in China so although the number of deceased seems alarming it’s a minute number in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 4
Having been to many parts of China this is not true... if anything the people have terrible public etiquette, spitting in the street, blowing their noses without a tissue, burping without covering their mouths ... no soap in public bathrooms... it’s easy to see how it has spread!
And in rural areas, they tit in the street. There was a woman once in London who let her grandkid tit in a bin and it went to the news. As a culture, their hygiene is disgusting. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/chinese-tourist-poo-outside-burberry-17205654

THIS is what we didn't want to happen. Up until now, people in other countries with the virus had travelled back from China. This is the first human-human spread that we know of outside of China. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...ntry-confirm-coronavirus-200128074844874.html

China and India have made huge leaps in sanitation just over the last ten years. But that many people living in urban areas with such a low income is grim with our western standards.

There's a person to person transmission in Japan also. This must mean WHO upgrade it to a global health emergency, they discounted the Vietnam person to person transmission as it was close to the border.

It's worrying that the number infected and died have both seemingly doubled overnight, but worth saying that 80k die each year from the flu. The current worst case scenario is 100k deaths.

Gabriel Leung is a leading epidemiologist and Dean of HKU medical school: “Critical knowledge gap now is the viral load. If viral shedding scales with symptoms - more symptoms more infective - and exponentially, it would mean those who show mild symptoms are much less infective. But that is a conclusion we can only hope for but with no evidence of."

UK travel advice updated to not visit anywhere mainland China.

Might be bs, but a caller on lbc says he knows of three people that have died in Shanghai despite no official deaths reported there.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
BA have cancelled flights to mainland China, I'm sure they won't be the last.

First 2 cases in the UK. Anyone worrying about it should not venture onto the mail 😬

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.