Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Off topic but when my step-daughter went off to Uni I made her up a going away ‘parcel’ which was a mixture of basics (pasta, shampoo, chocolate!) and a mixture of silly/joke things (condoms, vodka) and it was only when the online delivery arrived on my doorstep did I consider the reality of what that random shop looked like, more so because the delivery guy was about 19. Honestly, how he kept a straight face and such professionalism while handing a middle-aged woman a tit tonne of vodka, condoms and walnut whips (her fave!) I will never know.
Awww I think that's a nice idea.

Fun night in? Just needed the whipped cream for extra coolness.

I gave a friend condoms and a pregancy test for Christmas. xDDD

Apparently 🙄
Yes bulk buying 10 items of the same thing in one go is selfish. But you've had the same amount of time to prepare as anyone else...

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Has anyone directly asked their childs school what their plan of action regarding coronavirus is?
There was a mum on the playground today, really panicked, saying her and her partner wouldnt be able to live if they shut the schools as they both needed to work to pay their bills.
Hopefully we can all rally around and offer childcare between ourselves to help each other out.
I have 2 family members who work in the NHS, one as a nurse in an adult cancer ward and the other works in mental health. Neither of them have been given any direction whatsoever on coronavirus. The one in a mental health hospital said you would think at the least they would have a plan for staff absences. These are the kinds of things the government should have been sorting and communicating back in January.
My kid’s school sent out a 4 page letter about it all. But basically until the education authority decide something it is business as usual

I called 111 tonight, what a waste of time. They asked my 18 year old daughter symptoms, I said dry cough and tight chest. They asked if she had been to Italy or been in close contact with anyone a known case, I said no, outcome was we couldn’t take her to the local test centre as she doesn’t meet the criteria, I challenged this and said ’so are people only qualifying for testing if been to Italy or related/in close contact with known cases?’ Yes she said. So I said well ‘why is this being called a pandemic? It doesn’t mean now that you can only have it if been to Italy, it’s in the UK now so it can spread here and be passed on. Am I wrong?’ She said ‘I understand but at this time she is at no risk and just monitor her, if her chest gets worse ring us back’. I said ‘I have a health condition, as does my husband putting us higher risk I think it’s terrible our daughter can’t be tested. Why tell us to keep washing our hands to protect ourselves yet you’re saying people cant catch it within the UK and warrant testing only if been out of the country!!’ that’s basically what they’re saying.

Trying to reassure myself that this is a good thing she may not even have it and her dry tickly cough and tight chest is just her mild asthma flaring for whatever reason, it’s been a while since it has, I’m not convinced. She went to Liverpool in the last 2 weeks twice where there are cases that’s why I’m worried. My anxiety is having a party with fear incase she has it and there’s nothing I can do to reassure myself, not even go to the drive in test centre we have locally according to 111 as she doesn’t meet the criteria. I’ve had bad anxiety since yesterday about this virus and I don’t know how to reassure myself as kids get it mild or carry it and even though I’ve health issues they won’t let her be checked. Useless! Wish I could feel reassured.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
Without wanting to alarm, have a look at this thread on twitter. Seems to be very difficult to get a test:
I must be missing something here. He should be self-isolating and there isn’t really any treatment the NHS can give him for the symptoms he has, so what does he think will change if he gets a test/result?

If he deteriorated and was struggling to breathe, he’d get NHS treatment regardless of whether it’s Covid-19 or something else, wouldn’t he? I’m just not sure what difference having the diagnosis would make at this stage. Sorry if I’m missing something obvious (and also, just to clarify I’m not saying the way he’s been treated is fine/acceptable - I’m just confused about why the test is so important for someone who shouldn’t be having contact with anyone. Please don’t shout at me... 🙈)

I'm angry about all those that have gone to Cheltenham. It should've been cancelled.

Reactions: 31
I called 111 tonight, what a waste of time. They asked my 18 year old daughter symptoms, I said dry cough and tight chest. They asked if she had been to Italy or been in close contact with anyone a known case, I said no, outcome was we couldn’t take her to the local test centre as she doesn’t meet the criteria, I challenged this and said ’so are people only qualifying for testing if been to Italy or related/in close contact with known cases?’ Yes she said. So I said well ‘why is this being called a pandemic? It doesn’t mean now that you can only have it if been to Italy, it’s in the UK now so it can spread here and be passed on. Am I wrong?’ She said ‘I understand but at this time she is at no risk and just monitor her, if her chest gets worse ring us back’. I said ‘I have a health condition, as does my husband putting us higher risk I think it’s terrible our daughter can’t be tested. Why tell us to keep washing our hands to protect ourselves yet you’re saying people cant catch it within the UK and warrant testing only if been out of the country!!’ that’s basically what they’re saying.

Trying to reassure myself that this is a good thing she may not even have it and her dry tickly cough and tight chest is just her mild asthma flaring for whatever reason, it’s been a while since it has, I’m not convinced. She went to Liverpool in the last 2 weeks twice where there are cases that’s why I’m worried. My anxiety is having a party with fear incase she has it and there’s nothing I can do to reassure myself, not even go to the drive in test centre we have locally according to 111 as she doesn’t meet the criteria. I’ve had bad anxiety since yesterday about this virus and I don’t know how to reassure myself as kids get it mild or carry it and even though I’ve health issues they won’t let her be checked. Useless!
That sounds really stressful I'm sorry xx

Reactions: 5
I went to pick up my sons prescription earlier and would normally sign for it, pharmacist said that they are signing now due to coronavirus.

Eta, no known cases in my town

Reactions: 1
I'm angry about all those that have gone to Cheltenham. It should've been cancelled.
My Parents went... don’t really want them in my house! And they’re going oh it was quieter than normal oh I wonder why. They’re very much of the keep calm and carry on we’ve survived worse brigade as are my in-laws it’s infuriating. My mum tonight though did say well there was no toilet roll in Asda and I didn’t get any extra..... I might just lie in my 24 pack to mock her 😂 (I only bought one 24 pack!(

• Wow
Is that 18 or 19 countries that have now closed all schools, uni and mass gatherings?

Meanwhile over at Cheltenham 😬
View attachment 94235
someone i know works at public health england apparently the reason the uk is not doing naything is people are not yet terrified enough to follow strict rules 😑

• Haha
  • Wow
A colleague has just informed me that medical students in England, Scotland and Wales are being drafted in to help care for patients due to this.
They’ve been emailed by the medical directors of NHS Education.

Masks do nothing extra to protect you. Only useful if you actually have the virus and are symptomatic. If you must wear one please look at how to put them on and take them off property. They will collect particles on the outside and you need to know how to use one or else it just spreads the germs further.

I'm really baffled by the whole "business as usual" approach of the UK. When is the Government going to take this seriously? We are days away from a situation like Italy! Just today 85 more people were diagnosed in the UK. Countries with significantly smaller amount of cases than us are taking stronger measures than us!

Reactions: 13
someone i know works at public health england apparently the reason the uk is not doing naything is people are not yet terrified enough to follow strict rules 😑
This is the case. Too many still see it as just the flu 🙄 numbers are not high enough yet for most to take notice. Sad but absolutely true.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Awww I think that's a nice idea.

Fun night in? Just needed the whipped cream for extra coolness.

I gave a friend condoms and a pregancy test for Christmas. xDDD

Yes bulk buying 10 items of the same thing in one go is selfish. But you've had the same amount of time to prepare as anyone else...
Prepare by doing what? Selfishly stockpiling? No thanks.

Reactions: 2
The UK has become a country full of snowflakes.

Reactions: 1
Prepare by doing what? Selfishly stockpiling? No thanks.
It isn't selfish. There may come a point where you have to stay in your house for a month or longer. It is not selfish to prepare for your family. Having enough dried food, cans, food for your pet, etc, to get through a month is not crazy. The people who are unprepared will panic when that happens and it will be too late.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
No loo rolls in my local shops and there aren't even any cases near where I live. I'm really disappointed with how the government are dealing with this.
not dealing with more like.. i also cannot believe other mps are not being tested ... a second school where my parents live on south west London has closed today as a teacher was infected... apparently italy is now debating whether to have full on lockdown i.e. closing all offices so pnky supermarkets and farmacies would open

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.