Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Agreed. I was all for lockdown at first and getting angry with those not abiding but now I no longer judge. My work have announced there will be redundancies across the board - two months of lockdown has destroyed the business and no sign of recovery in sight.
The amount of people losing jobs terrifies me. We have always been lucky and my fiancé has a good job but it's in oil so that is already rocky before the virus, now it is terrible. People not flying anywhere etc has really had a bad impact. I am glad we do not have children as I am already worried, it would be so much worse with little ones that depend on you 😭. Ive seriously said to him he should look at jobs in Saudi, at least they're stable there and the money is crazy as an expat. Very desperate times to be saying that. I've also a history of anxiety disorder and what I think was undiagnosed depression through uni and I can feel it sneaking back in through these really trying times.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
176 deaths compared to 400+ this time last week 👏🏼
And also we must remember than when we were having almost 1000 deaths per day in April ... That was ONLY in hospitals so you could probably easily add another 500 to that daily figure to account for carehomes... So actually 1500 Vs 176 is a real decrease (this is coming from somebody who is petrified of the virus and not an optimist by heart!)

I'm happy with this decision
I think it's the right decision. I wish it was shops too tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 8
As a hairdresser, I’m not sure other hairdressers can be giving a definite date....we only know as much as everyone else!

I go to people’s houses, I don’t see how it’s going to be possible for me to get back to work, safely, if I worked in a salon I would be in control of infection control and cleaning, but as it is I will be going into multiple peoples houses, not knowing how clean it is.

Also with PPE, would I be expected to provide ppe, there’s already a shortage of PPE, and with every barber and hairdressers needing it, as well as dentists, people using public transport it’s going to be impossible 😩
Could you ask that all clients wear their own mask and gloves and that you'll do the same? (Changing gloves for every household). Just an idea x

Could you ask that all clients wear their own mask and gloves and that you'll do the same? (Changing gloves for every household). Just an idea x
I could, but what about the other people in the house? Also cutting hair with gloves on is not easy 😩

Reactions: 1
I must admit that I'm crying out for some time alone though. I know that sounds selfish but I'm usually at home all day mon-fri on my own with the exception of my hospital appointments so to suddenly go from that to having the hubby and the kids here constantly it's a bit of a shock to the system. I just want to watch a programme in peace

Reactions: 10
I was just wondering how many of you sent your children to school?
I did. I knew it was the right decision prior to sending them in and feel even more confident now they have been in. It’s definitely not what was portrayed in the media.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
PHE have added a total of 220 deaths to the figure today. A pattern seems to be emerging that Friday is a big day for PHE numbers then they report less and less. 20% of hospital deaths occurred before June. Some numbers even being added to the peak. It’s daunting when you first see the numbers but less so when you break it down.

Reactions: 2
Am I missing something, did lockdown end? View attachment 145899
What have they done wrong? I don't get your point

To be fair, that’s all activities linked to her job so yep thousands of people are travelling up and down the country for work and coming into contact with others (presumably social distancing protocols in place), just like her. Just because she’s high profile it doesn’t mean she is any different. House viewings are open to all I believe.
And the podcast/photoshoot could have all been done at her house...

Finding it quite hard seeing my family and friends who live abroad (Spain, US) going out for dinners and having drinks outside in the evening. Just wish we were in a position to be doing these things here. Feeling so cooped up today, don't know if its due to the change of weather but July never felt so far away (when hospitality is due to start opening.)
Why are US allowed too? Isn't their death toll absolutely horrendous/worst in the world?

we had a meeting yesterday to be told the same. I’m done! I need more than my 4 walls day in, day out.
We’ve been asked to work in the office but it’s basically been left up to us to go as little or as much as we want, so long as no more than 50% of us go in. The majority have chosen to remain working at home and our boss is kind of salty about it - I had to remind him the other day that it is against advice and guidelines 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3
Yep totally done fed up with lockdown now. Used to get annoyed with people not adhering to it, now I’m actually encouraging people to see family/friends for their own mental health. 2 of my friends (Working in the NHS I might add) have had to take time off work due to stress and are now on antidepressant as a DIRECT result of lockdown - they had no mental health issues before but people are at breaking point.

People who are immunocompromised or vulnerable have the option to self isolate. Everyone now understands how to social distance and wash our hands. It’s time to open up.

I get so angry when I hear people moan “oooh there will be a second wave now”. What the duck do you want?! Do you want us all to stay inside for the next 2 years while our incompetent government faffs around with a vaccine?! LOCKDOWN WASN’T EVER MEANT TO ERADICATE THE VIRUS. It was to prevent the nhs going beyond capacity on the back of winter pressures. It’s better to have this dreaded second wave now than in December when you’ve got flu season in full swing.

Honestly I’d rather die than live like this for years to come, I’m not the only one who thinks that. I’m truly sorry for all the lives lost, I really am, but this cannot go on forever. More lives will be lost to suicide, cancer, neglect, abuse etc if it does.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
We’ve been asked to work in the office but it’s basically been left up to us to go as little or as much as we want, so long as no more than 50% of us go in. The majority have chosen to remain working at home and our boss is kind of salty about it - I had to remind him the other day that it is against advice and guidelines 🤷🏻‍♀️
Our office is open for a max capacity of 20 people. If we need to print things (I work with highly confidential info so not allowed to use home printers at all) or if they’re struggling with their mental health we are able to go in but we are encouraged to stay home. I was hoping to be back in July, September/October seems to long away😭

Reactions: 1
Why are US allowed too? Isn't their death toll absolutely horrendous/worst in the world?
Yep but some areas have lowered restrictions (specifically Florida where my friends are) and they have sent me pics of them eating out etc. I'm really jealous 😑

Also just to add, as someone who has stuck to the lockdown rules if we end up having to have further restrictions in south west at this point I'm going to have a breakdown. If the rest of the country are allowed to be out and enjoying themselves i will be fuming at having to be stuck in my flat for even longer.

Jsut hope their sensible in that the R raising doesn't mean as much here when we have very few cases comparatively.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The deaths number is starting to be meaningless if they just keep adding huge amounts onto it and calling it one number

Yep but some areas have lowered restrictions (specifically Florida where my friends are) and they have sent me pics of them eating out etc. I'm really jealous 😑

Also just to add, as someone who has stuck to the lockdown rules if we end up having to have further restrictions in south west at this point I'm going to have a breakdown. If the rest of the country are allowed to be out and enjoying themselves i will be fuming at having to be stuck in my flat for even longer.

Jsut hope their sensible in that the R raising doesn't mean as much here when we have very few cases comparatively.
It's hard to know how specific it
South West a large area with a few cities but also coastal and rural areas.
Maybe it's Weston and north Somerset pushing up the South West r rate.
All I can say is where I live it seems busy.

I am honestly so fed up of this coronavirus tit and so glad that we are finally opening things up.

I honestly am starting to believe the reaction to the virus was blown completely out of proportion.

Our province has a population of 4.5 million and 6.5 thousand people got the virus. We closed everything in March but never went into full lockdown, we were still allowed outside multiple times and stores such as Home Depot, Staples etc stayed open.

Out of 4.5 million people, only 145 have died and those have mainly been in their 80s and 90s. I am thinking that we should have put a shield on those 65+ but younger people could still go to work, perhaps wearing masks.

I know there is no point dwelling on it now but I'm just frustrated at the state of the economy when the virus has not been that bad. We've only had 50 people in hospital and 8 in the ICU...out of a population of 4.5 million.

Surely if the virus was THAT spreadable, everyone that goes to then grocery store would have got it?

Even going to the stores now is miserable. I wore my mask yesterday and went to one but the stock was low and I almost felt bad for lifting things up to look at them. It was Homesense so a store that you browse.

My fiancé is on the redeployment list for work. Now their goal for him is to be a VP eventually one day so they're doing it to try and expand his skills and because he's adaptable. But he is a team lead right now and is having to think of how to explain it to his team. In a time like this, it sounds bad and he couldn't say: oh cause they see potential in me, when others are being redeployed so they don't have to be laid off. And of course, he could still get laid off and the stress of that is killing me. People need to start going back to work asap.

It is all just such bullshit and I'm ready for it to be over.

Edit to add: Our province has a very young population which is why I think we have faired ok. It seems countries/provinces with high deaths have a higher older population.
Those numbers of 4.5millon Vs 145 are very positive.
I could, but what about the other people in the house? Also cutting hair with gloves on is not easy 😩
Could you ask that they provide anti bac wipes or Dettol to wipe down the surfaces? Sink/taps so you can wash your equipment? (I'm just trying to think about what you could do that and would be doing).

End of the day, you're going to be in demand so customers will and should clean the areas that you'll be using I'd they want you to do their hair.

It's hard to know how specific it
South West a large area with a few cities but also coastal and rural areas.
Maybe it's Weston and north Somerset pushing up the South West r rate.
All I can say is where I live it seems busy.
Where i live we have had 492 confirmed cases out of a 396,000 population. So I'm guessing it's not here.

Reading our R being higher just scares me because I have been clinging to the hope of things opening and my life coming back, I'm just so scared of the idea we will end up locked down again here and I'm not sure i can do it again 😔

Also just to add, as someone who has stuck to the lockdown rules if we end up having to have further restrictions in south west at this point I'm going to have a breakdown.
I will be devastated too. Because surely they should have let us stay open for longer as we had so few cases.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.