Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #34

How are you feeling about schools reopening? (multiple votes allowed)

• It’s a stupid decision.

Votes: 227 41.7%
  • I think it’s time to get some kids back into school.

Votes: 118 21.7%
  • I have a child in the selected year groups and i will send them

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • I have a child in the selected year groups and I won’t send them

Votes: 76 13.9%
  • I’m still undecided how I feel about it

Votes: 126 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Gosh this feels like such a weighty decision. I feel very close to my daughter's reception teacher (we email a lot and I feel in another life we would be mates) and we are meant to be completing a questionnaire on Monday saying our intentions and I may ask her how safe she feels and what she wants to do.

I am furloughed, my husband can work from home if I get unfurloghed before school hols (unlikely) but I don't know what to do. She is so bored. And I am so so tired and need a break.

Reactions: 7
Our schools aren't going back yet, but only one decision for me in that poll but each to their own.Do what's right for you..

Reactions: 5
I don’t think schools in Scotland will open again until after the summer break (August). I think it may just be England

Reactions: 6
End of the day, it all depends on your children and how they're coping, what measures their individual schools are taking and what your home situation is like (shielding, living with elderly etc). No shaming, you do you x

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Gosh this feels like such a weighty decision. I feel very close to my daughter's reception teacher (we email a lot and I feel in another life we would be mates) and we are meant to be completing a questionnaire on Monday saying our intentions and I may ask her how safe she feels and what she wants to do.

I am furloughed, my husband can work from home if I get unfurloghed before school hols (unlikely) but I don't know what to do. She is so bored. And I am so so tired and need a break.
I was in your position a couple of days ago. I asked for advice from people on here, not realising it would cause an issue.

I've been all over the shop with it. For me, the things that tipped the balance was a poster here saying her Yr1 child with extra needs wouldn't cope. This directly helped me because although my son is okish in school, he's become very unsettled of late and I'm not sure he will deal with the changes.

In terms of year 6, they won't be learning anything new (at my son's school). I feel I have enough resources to continue to help him at home. We also feel we can carry on juggling work/home school for a while. I recognise everyone's situation is different.

I genuinely have no feelings one way or another about what other people do. I am not living their lives and people must do what feels best for their families. More importantly they should be able to do that without judgement.

Even though the guidelines are divisive, it does not mean we should allow ourselves to be divided.

Reactions: 11
Wonder when the Welsh schools are to open,all the chaos with the English is bound to have a knock on effect on the other regions..

Reactions: 1
I wonder how the "special schools" will ever be able to open again .Distancing would never be possible there ,most of those parents must be under severe pressure .I know my sister is feeling it..

• Sad
This thread moves so fast! My youngest daughter is in year 3 so don’t need to make the decision just yet but when I do I am completely torn. Part of me feels what’s the point? The risks far outweigh the positives for me, ie, they’ll only be there for 4/5 weeks max before summer holidays. Then there is the fact that in all honesty this could go on for the next year (dipping in and out of peaks/ new waves) so I can’t protect her and keep her home for two whole years! So she may aswell go now. She’s happy being at home, loves it! Says she never wants it to end 🤣

Another thing I’m confused about is takeaways! Please don’t take this as criticism as it’s definitely not. I’m just genuinely not sure I understand the logic. People don’t want to be near others and touch each other etc but you feel safe eating/touching food and packaging that others have JUST had their hands all over? With our weekly shop we leave it in the bags for a few days but the stuff that needs to go in the fridge gets cleaned. Just saw a dominoes AD on Tv of people making the food with no gloves on. I just feel it’s an unnecessary risk. Why can’t we touch our relatives but it’s ok to touch a tuppawear take away container and eat food a stranger has made five mins previously? I’m confused 🤣 again I’m not criticising! I would bloody love a takeaway. Seen people say haveinv a takeaway but don’t worry we practiced social distancing, but then had their hands all over packaging and food that someone else just had in their hands. How do people work around that on here that have had a takeaway?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Looking at photos of the woodies stores in Ireland they’re getting ready for a stadium capacity Taylor Swift concert in each of their stores,

And ikea aren’t allowed to open anymore 😐

Reactions: 1
This thread moves so fast! My youngest daughter is in year 3 so don’t need to make the decision just yet but when I do I am completely torn. Part of me feels what’s the point? The risks far outweigh the positives for me, ie, they’ll only be there for 4/5 weeks max before summer holidays. Then there is the fact that in all honesty this could go on for the next year (dipping in and out of peaks/ new waves) so I can’t protect her and keep her home for two whole years! So she may aswell go now. She’s happy being at home, loves it! Says she never wants it to end 🤣

Another thing I’m confused about is takeaways! Please don’t take this as criticism as it’s definitely not. I’m just genuinely not sure I understand the logic. People don’t want to be near others and touch each other etc but you feel safe eating/touching food and packaging that others have JUST had their hands all over? With our weekly shop we leave it in the bags for a few days but the stuff that needs to go in the fridge gets cleaned. Just saw a dominoes AD on Tv of people making the food with no gloves on. I just feel it’s an unnecessary risk. Why can’t we touch our relatives but it’s ok to touch a tuppawear take away container and eat food a stranger has made five mins previously? I’m confused 🤣 again I’m not criticising! I would bloody love a takeaway. Seen people say haveinv a takeaway but don’t worry we practiced social distancing, but then had their hands all over packaging and food that someone else just had in their hands. How do people work around that on here that have had a takeaway?
I haven’t had a take away either but 3 things to note are 1) the cooking process would kill the virus and 2) you can’t catch it by just touching someone who has it, So that person would have had to have coughed/sneezed onto their hand before touching the food/ packaging. 3) I think most people are wiping down the packaging or taking it straight out of the packaging then washing hands once it arrives.

Reactions: 7
I haven’t had a take away either but 3 things to note are 1) the cooking process would kill the virus and 2) you can’t catch it by just touching someone who has it, So that person would have had to have coughed/sneezed onto their hand before touching the food/ packaging. 3) I think most people are wiping down the packaging or taking it straight out of the packaging then washing hands once it arrives.
Yes I thought so, thanks for replying. I guess I’m just a worrier! Yes they would have to have it on their hands but we all know how much we touch our faces/mouths and wouldn’t want my hands on something they’ve just had their hands on when I can’t cuddle my parents. Like you said wiping down etc before opening it up! 😀

Reactions: 3
That poor little baby. The poor family. Simply heartbreaking. My heart aches for them.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I am sending my child to school however one thing I am getting increasingly annoyed about is, that’s ok but they can’t start ‘non-essential’ hospital services now, even at a reduced rate?? My son is 3 and has a foot deformity that can now only be mended or reduced with serial casting or surgery and he is getting older, his feet are getting worse and they will not see him. I get it, I understand but my poor boy is in pain every single day and falling over, his ankles are weak now too and they give way all the time. It is a time bomb for an injury and it’s making me very emotional and very sad. So hard to listen to him moaning when he walks and telling me his feet hurt ☹😢

• Sad
Reactions: 19
I am sending my child to school however one thing I am getting increasingly annoyed about is, that’s ok but they can’t start ‘non-essential’ hospital services now, even at a reduced rate?? My son is 3 and has a foot deformity that can now only be mended or reduced with serial casting or surgery and he is getting older, his feet are getting worse and they will not see him. I get it, I understand but my poor boy is in pain every single day and falling over, his ankles are weak now too and they give way all the time. It is a time bomb for an injury and it’s making me very emotional and very sad. So hard to listen to him moaning when he walks and telling me his feet hurt ☹😢
You have my complete sympathy over this, it’s a time bomb nationally, which in the medium term is worse than COVID.

I fully expect that my LA will say the schools aren’t opening, as I’ve said I’m employed by the LA. Told my role is critical and I have no childcare. I’m exhausted 😩

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.