Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would appreciate your thoughts on this please...

My dad has to have hospital treatment 3 times a week. He gets there and back via hospital transport which is either a taxi or a small ambulance. He usually travels alone.
However, yesterday they collected another patient and, going forward, this will be the new arrangement.
Am I right to be concerned that they are travelling in close proximity (albeit as far apart as they can sit) in the same vehicle?
They are mixing 2 households so if one is carrying it, then it is highly likely that the other will catch it.

I know this is a cost cutting exercise for the company and also that they are most likely overstretched at the moment but if my dad catches this, he will most likely die.

This transport service is not run by the NHS but is outsourced to another company.

If I’m overreacting please say because it is hard for me to remain impartial when it comes to my dad.
He should not be leaving the house at all with his health conditions but as he has no choice I want him to have contact with as few as people as possible.

Thanks for reading.
If this was my relative I would not be happy either. Does he have any other way that he can get to and from the hospital?

If they’re sitting 2 metres apart then it would reduce the risk a little.

Reactions: 2
If this was my relative I would not be happy either. Does he have any other way that he can get to and from the hospital?

If they’re sitting 2 metres apart then it would reduce the risk a little.
No, he is disabled so is no longer able to drive. His treatment doesn’t finish until about 10pm at night.
I could take him but I would struggle getting him in and out of the car by myself and my husband is in an at risk group so I’m trying not to go out if I can help it. I don’t visit my dad for that reason at the moment.
I don‘t know what to do for the best.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
It’s worrying to see numbers are still so high, the word “peak” “peak” “flattening the curve” are being thrown around but the reality is we’re set to see numbers like this for a long time in many more countries.

I genuinely want to mute the word “peak” at this point. 🤦‍♀️
Our daily update last night the doctor said as soon as the restrictions lift there will be a second wave ,he was pressed on it by a journalist ,and he said a vaccine or herd immunity is the only hope ..and that's a long way off, he said the countries that have relaxed they're restrictions are seeing a resurgence as soon as there lifted so ?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Doing that would kill far more people than the virus, once they've ramped up all the temporary beds I think things will have to start to reopen. We could still be years away from a vaccine. I think people with compromised health might have to self isolate until vaccine without but the whole nation just can't do that without serious repercussions.
I think that's what will happen unfortunately ,we're in it for the long haul :(

Reactions: 1

Yel

The Cheltenham effect is creeping up.

"Several celebrities claim to have contracted infection at Cheltenham last month "

Sadly doesn't come as a huge surprise, we were all saying this last month

Reactions: 7
I do hope Professor Chris Whitty is ok. I know he’s in isolation but I thought we might have heard something about him or from him 🙁

• Sad
Reactions: 27
Doing that would kill far more people than the virus, once they've ramped up all the temporary beds I think things will have to start to reopen. We could still be years away from a vaccine. I think people with compromised health might have to self isolate until vaccine without but the whole nation just can't do that without serious repercussions.
I feel like we need a breakdown of deaths from people with no underlying conditions.

and that sounds harsh but we need to know the statistics when it comes to members of the public that could be safe to continue on with life whilst the vulnerable are “cocooned” away.

such a patronising term 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 12

My dad has to have hospital treatment 3 times a week. He gets there and back via hospital transport which is either a taxi or a small ambulance. He usually travels alone.
However, yesterday they collected another patient and, going forward, this will be the new arrangement.
Am I right to be concerned that they are travelling in close proximity (albeit as far apart as they can sit) in the same vehicle?
They are mixing 2 households so if one is carrying it, then it is highly likely that the other will catch it.

I know this is a cost cutting exercise for the company and also that they are most likely overstretched at the moment but if my dad catches this, he will most likely die.

This transport service is not run by the NHS but is outsourced to another company.

If I’m overreacting please say because it is hard for me to remain impartial when it comes to my dad.
He should not be leaving the house at all with his health conditions but as he has no choice I want him to have contact with as few as people as possible.

Thanks for reading.
What an awful situation to be in, you must be so worried.
I wouldn't be happy if it were my relative so I don't think you are over reacting but on the other hand I genuinely don't think there would be another way to solve the problem.

Everywhere is so short staffed at the moment and I can only imagine that car sharing is the only way the company have come up with to ensure people still get their treatment. It's a horrible predicament to be in. Sorry, my reply probably isn't that helpful. Hopefully someone else will have some helpful advice for you.

Dynamo the magician has the virus now..
Oh that's really sad with him living with Chron's, I hope he is okay!
They have said a dry cough won’t produce phlegm or mucus.
Quite a few sites say phlegm (or sputum as it was said) is produced, from what I've read it starts as a dry cough, dry mouth and sore throat.

Reactions: 4
I feel like we need a breakdown of deaths from people with no underlying conditions.

and that sounds harsh but we need to know the statistics when it comes to members of the public that could be safe to continue on with life whilst the vulnerable are “cocooned” away.

such a patronising term 🤦‍♀️
I agree! It's all well and good sharing the numbers in terms of deaths etc, but without any specific context behind them they're not really any use to anybody.

Reactions: 5
Oh that's really sad with him living with Chron's, I hope he is okay!

Quite a few sites say phlegm (or sputum as it was said) is produced, from what I've read it starts as a dry cough, dry mouth and sore throat.
Yes that's what I thought too ,he has really bad health as is :(

I agree! It's all well and good sharing the numbers in terms of deaths etc, but without any specific context behind them they're not really any use to anybody.
They're using the death numbers to get an idea of when the peak is about to happen...and the testing will hopefully give an idea as to how many are "immune" for herd immunity to take place..but the rest of us will have to "catch It" or wait for a vaccine..

Hope we are all okay. I’m absolutely exhausted and upset that I’m hidden in a side room, and no one can visit. I’m pushing for my swab results so I can go home ASAP.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Hope we are all okay. I’m absolutely exhausted and upset that I’m hidden in a side room, and no one can visit. I’m pushing for my swab results so I can go home ASAP.
:( Hope you're feeling better soon and you're back in the comfort of your own home.

Reactions: 9

Thanks for reading.
That’s such a tricky one, if he’s having treatment that frequently he’s a very vulnerable patient isn’t he. My guess is apart from cost cutting the number of staff available for transportation has also dropped. The concern is very valid and the other patient probably feels the same. The only other option I can think off is that you fund it yourselves (if money allows) and pay for a private taxi. If this is an option I would just check with the taxi company that this is something they would do.

Reactions: 3
My husband has just finished a bathroom he started it was nightmare as most of the merchants are shut. Hes had to delay the rest of his customers.

On another note my best friend has just told me her brother has been released from prison to free up space due to corona. hes very dangerous and now im worried about all these prisoners they are letting out early.
I read an article the other day about women in prison who are due to give birth being released. If they’re releasing people who are close to being released then fair enough, I suppose. But the truly dangerous ones should stay locked up.

Reactions: 2
Hope you get your results soon and able to get home x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Honestly thought Instagram was trying to sell stylish hospital bands....

C7E9275B-1B69-4AAA-B724-27DDBF45F311.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.