Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #115

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My daughter currently has Covid - probably (hopefully) omicron. She lives in a care facility / educational provision for complex autistic people and since none of the young people, including her will agree to be vaccinated they’ve all gone down with it. Which shows how infectious it is because they don’t like to be in each other’s spaces!

Luckily, her care staff have not caught it because it’s not easy for them to just put someone new in to work with her who doesn’t know her. My daughter used to be fine with injections until someone read her a social story that put her off them 😬

She’s only 20 but it makes me anxious when I hear about DNRs and people with learning disabilities. And now that autism itself is considered to be a pre-existing comorbidity. Her carers love her almost like I do but it’s still a worry.

Does anyone know why previous bone fractures are considered to put someone at a higher risk of severe illness from Covid?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My daughter currently has Covid - probably (hopefully) omicron. She lives in a care facility / educational provision for complex autistic people and since none of the young people, including her will agree to be vaccinated they’ve all gone down with it. Which shows how infectious it is because they don’t like to be in each other’s spaces!

Luckily, the care staff have not because it’s not easy for them to just put someone new in to work with her who doesn’t know her. My daughter used to be fine with injections until someone read her a social story that put her off them 😬

She’s only 20 but it makes me anxious when I hear about DNRs and people with learning disabilities. And now that autism itself is considered to be a pre-existing comorbidity. Her carers love her almost like I do but it’s still a worry.

Does anyone know why previous bone fractures are considered to put someone at a higher risk of severe illness from Covid?
I hope your daughter gets well soon and they manage to control the outbreak at the care facility she is at. Omicron is very infectious/transmissible.

Without knowing a lot, could it possibly be because of inflammation? Bone fractures can lead to inflammation and Covid-19 is linked to causing inflammation, therefore possibly heightening the severity if the individual has previous bone fracture.

Reactions: 1
I'm curious of everyone's thoughts regarding ordering lateral flow tests - how often do you order a box online?

I'm in Scotland and order some every other day. I pick a box up whenever I'm at my local library too. I primarily order often to ensure my family are able to test regularly as my mum is high risk. My partner is always making a comment about how many I order, yet he's happy to use them! :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that I pay my taxes, so I'm entitled to order my one box per day from the Government. Mumsnet seems to hate people like me! What do you think?

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I'm curious of everyone's thoughts regarding ordering lateral flow tests - how often do you order a box online?

I'm in Scotland and order some every other day. I pick a box up whenever I'm at my local library too. I primarily order often to ensure my family are able to test regularly as my mum is high risk. My partner is always making a comment about how many I order, yet he's happy to use them! :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that I pay my taxes, so I'm entitled to order my one box per day from the Government. Mumsnet seems to hate people like me! What do you think?
Every day.

My daily box keeps another 7 out of the hands of people that might (mis)use them to prolong the pandemic for their own ends.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
Every day.

My daily box keeps another 7 out of the hands of people that might (mis)use them to prolong the pandemic for their own ends.
So you’re the reason there’s been a shortage 🙃

I’ve never ordered one, I’ll be honest. My children bring them home from school so that seems to be more than enough for the infrequent times we need to use them.

Why would anyone want to ‘prolong the pandemic’?

Well if you’re able to order them then no, you aren’t doing anything wrong. If they’re available, they’re available.

Reactions: 4
Tested positive yesterday. First had covid back in July. I'm feeling rotten. Head is splitting, eyes feel like lead, pain in my right arm(random) and sore throat and runny nose. Can't even be arsed to get dressed today. Hubby still testing negative. Think he must be immune as fourth time we've had covid in our house and he's yet to catch it

• Sad
Tested positive yesterday. First had covid back in July. I'm feeling rotten. Head is splitting, eyes feel like lead, pain in my right arm(random) and sore throat and runny nose. Can't even be arsed to get dressed today. Hubby still testing negative. Think he must be immune as fourth time we've had covid in our house and he's yet to catch it
Get better soon ❤‍🩹

Reactions: 1

You do know the more you hoard the more has to be manufactured - therefore your taxes are being spent on these rather than something else?

Reactions: 16

I’m in Scotland and I think you should only order what you need, so that others can also access what they need. The system would have collapsed by now if everyone acted the way you do 🤷🏻‍♀️ Did you also hoard toilet roll and tins in March 2020? Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should in my opinion.

Reactions: 15

Greedy !

• Haha

What do I think? I’m curious why you would need 21-28 lateral flow tests a week.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I order a box every couple of weeks or so. I've picked some up in town too so I've got quite a few boxes. I used to get them from work but they seemed to have stopped bothering - I work in a nursery!

Very confused. Did an lft today just out of curiosity and to see if my positive had gotten any darker. It's completely negative. Yesterday's was a very obvious positive.

• Wow
Reactions: 5

Personally I don’t understand why you’d need so many tests? Fair enough you want to test regularly, but one box a day seems excessive. Yeah you pay taxes but so does everyone else. If everyone did what you were doing there’d be non left.

Reactions: 14
Personally I don’t understand why you’d need so many tests? Fair enough you want to test regularly, but one box a day seems excessive.
We had to order them daily the past week as my son was positive meaning myself, husband and daughter had to test every day for a week. 3 a day doesn't go far. I'd not order unless absolutely needed though

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.