Copper coil is ruining my life!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience as myself with the copper coil. I've had it in for the last 6 years, unfortunately I'm unable to use hormonal contraception so this was my only option at the time other than condoms but it's making me miserable. I recently had a vaginal ultrasound, a colposcopy and a biopsy to determine why I was bleeding so much. I have bled every single day since October 6th 2019. My periods would last anything from 12-15 days, sometimes 2 periods per month before the every single day issue started. The biopsy found that I had cervical ectropion which was treated and I was told that this was the cause of the bleeding and that 4-6 weeks after treatment, the bleeding would stop. It hasn't. My only feeling now is that my coil is causing the bleeding. I experience abnormal discharge, pelvic pain which feels like someone is stabbing me. I've had all tests etc done, bloods done.. everything came back as normal. Even though this is the only contraception I can use, I feel like I need it taken out. Has anyone ever experienced this level of bleeding before with the copper coil? I'm currently keeled over in pain on the floor because the pain is just to much
Thank you.

I know exactly what you are feeling as experienced the same when I had the copper coil fitted. I only had it for a year as had to have it taken out due to the amount of bleeding I was experiencing during my period and the pain is what you described. It was sharp intense and felt like a stabbing pain and I couldn’t breathe or move during the 30 seconds or so at the worst.
I’m the same as you it’s the only contraception I could go on but now my husband uses condoms as I’ve had it taken out. What a difference it has made. Now I don’t even feel like I’m on my period, hardly any bleeding and cramps/pain are non-existent (compared to before with the coil).
i have a child so my husband is getting the snip (he has children from previous relationship) as I’m not going through having the coil again. Apparently, you can get a localised coil (it’s hormones but localised) and that is much better. It could also be be coil is too big for you and you need a smaller one.

Just get it taken out! your health comes first and get your partner to wear condoms or get the snip if appropriate. Dont be suffering, ring the Drs this morning.X

Reactions: 1
Definitely have it removed. Not worth it! Your health is most important and if it's giving you that much grief it's definitely not worth it. Best sticking to condoms.

I've got a copper coil and although I definitely don't have symptoms like yours, my periods are a lot longer and more painful. I've had it for about 3 years now so will probably just keep it for another 2 due to convenience of it but I definitely wouldn't get another one. Plus the pain of getting it put in was horrific!

Have it removed. I had a copper coil and tbh had none of the issues you described. However I was already prone to UTIs and I'm convinced the coil made it 100x worse even though back then Dr's insisted copper coils don't cause these. I pretty much had a permanent UTI at one point and couldn't cope so had it taken out to see if it made a difference. Lo and behold the UTIs dramatically decreased in both frequency and severity. I think there's a bit more evidence now to show a link between the two, but basically my point is I truly don't think the possible side effects of coils are fully known. It sounds like you're in agony... Have it out!

I had the copper coil and bled almost constantly for well over a year, I began to wonder if thats why it was a contraception...you bled so much you never had sex! I had it removed and I ended up refered to the Gynae because the bleeding took longer than expected to settle. Anyway, all was fine and I had the Mirena fitted which I have found brilliant.

It sounds awful, hope it gets sorted soon. It was one option i was considering but most things i hear are very negative, i'm considering just using natural cycles now

I had the copper coil and yes, my periods were always prolonged and the pain was far more intense. I switched to the Mirena coil, as advised by my Doctor, only to find I couldn’t get along with it.

Your health comes first. Don’t suffer.

Thanks all for the response. I called my GP today and they don't remove them at my practice so I have to go back to the clinic it was fitted but they aren't currently open due to covid so will have to put up with it for a while longer. Unfortunately, I can't switch to the mirena as the last hormonal contraceptive I had led me to have a stroke and a clot on the brain. I'll just be glad to get this thing out of my body.