Consultant led care in pregnancy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think my bmi is going to be bang on 35 unfortunately so I think that I'm going to need consultant led care this time around.

Anyone had any experiences? I had midwife care last time but unfortunately didn't lose the baby weight!

I was also under a consultant for my BMI being too high 🙋🏻‍♀️ I didn't mind though as we got extra scans to make sure baby was growing okay etc and the consultants at my hospital were really lovely.

Reactions: 2
I had consultant led with my twin pregnancy and we loved it so much we did it again with our latest one, however we did go private.

If your consultant is happy with you to be midwifery led You can do that. You can still have your extra scans. It also means you will deliver on the obstetrics unit (labour ward) with continuous feral monitoring, as apposed to home birth, pool or mw led unit. Speak to both your mw and consultant so that a plan can be put in place to support a safe pregnancy and birth that you want.

I was also under a consultant for my BMI being too high 🙋🏻‍♀️ I didn't mind though as we got extra scans to make sure baby was growing okay etc and the consultants at my hospital were really lovely.
I had consultant led with my twin pregnancy and we loved it so much we did it again with our latest one, however we did go private.
If your consultant is happy with you to be midwifery led You can do that. You can still have your extra scans. It also means you will deliver on the obstetrics unit (labour ward) with continuous feral monitoring, as apposed to home birth, pool or mw led unit. Speak to both your mw and consultant so that a plan can be put in place to support a safe pregnancy and birth that you want.
Thank you for your replies ladies, it has put me much at ease, and I think I will go along with it happily! 😁

Reactions: 3
I have had consultant led care for all my pregnancies. I found it reassuring being able to ask questions directly as I did not have to wait for a response with the midwife.
As @SlummyMummy76 has said if you prefer a midwife led approach then do that. Feeling comfortable talking about your options is good.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I had consultant led with my son as I’m chubby (I’m about 14st and 5ft7) and tbh I could not fault it. My consultant was lovely and I felt really safe. I was a bit annoyed with the endlessly diabetes tests; I felt at times they were more concerned about me not being diabetic but FaaaaaaAAAAtttTTT (whatever) than they were about my sons heart defect.

Reactions: 1
I work at a maternity hospital and you’ll probably be discharged after one appt

I had consultant led care with my son as my first baby was only 5.15lbs so they wanted to keep an eye this time around, I was really worried about it as it sounded very serious and bad but it was basically loads of 2 minute hospital appointments that were a pain to fit around work!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I've had consultant led care this pregnancy, not overweight but previous lga baby and pih and pph. And I'm 33 weeks and not actually met the consultant, just his midwives!

I was consultant care on both pregnancies. Im high risk because of heart problems. Also 2nd pregnancy baby had lots of problems. Very restrictive on what you can do in labour. I was stuck on bed for 12 hours, wasnt allowed to get up and pee, they wouldnt even let me have a drink. Not a good experience for me unfortunately. Im pregnant with 3rd and will raise my concerns with midwife nearer the time. Would love a birthing pool or even just to move about

I've had consultant led care this pregnancy, not overweight but previous lga baby and pih and pph. And I'm 33 weeks and not actually met the consultant, just his midwives!
Yep same, the named consultant on my appointment letters never actually saw me.

It’s very difficult to see your consultant, it’s usually their understudy, who are very competent. No matter your obstetric or medical history speak to your midwife about your care plan and ask lots of questions, never just accept something just because the midwife/dr says so, question why. The aim is to provide safe, evidence based, compassionate care with open dialogue.

Difficulty depends on the hospital, we have consultant clinics 4 days a week

I had a BMI of more than 35 when I was pregnant (2005/6) and had full midwife led care. Never saw a doctor once. Aren’t midwives meant to be the experts in normal childbirth- who will refer you on if there’s a problem?

This is not a dig at your care plan btw, just musing that it never happened to me! Hope all goes well for you

I had a midwife led pregnancy with my 1st, 2nd pregnancy was "consultant led" because my BMI was high. They made a big deal about it, I didn't see a consultant once. I went to all of my midwife appointments and when I was in labour I stayed at home for as long as I could and then just went into the hospital. I am now pregnant again (my BMI is definitely higher than my last pregnancy) and I'm midwife led. My 2nd labour was a bit awkward as baby was back to back and was nearly 9lb but I didn't once see a consultant throughout the whole of my pregnancy/labour.

Likely you'll be referred for a early appointment and then will discharge you to midwife led care, may recommend a GTT (glucose tolerance test) to check for diabetes as a raised BMI is a risk factor. If that's normal and you're otherwise well in pregnancy and so is baby, lots of places guidelines will support you using the birth centre/home if it's only your BMI that is raised. Discuss this at the appointment, and ask what to expect next.