coming off the pill

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
so i had a conversation with my boyfriend last night that i was wanting to come off the pill to see how my body would react (i’ve been on it since i was 16, now 20) and we have agreed to use condoms but i’m just interested in what other peoples experiences have been in coming off the pill? skin, confidence, weight, libido etc
thank u!!

I was on the pill from when I was 15 until 2 years ago (38) and I had no issues at all coming off it. Everything went back to normal pretty much straight away for me. It’s harder to predict exactly when your period will arrive and I probably get an extra spot here and there, only thing I find is that my periods are a tiny bit heavier (but definitely not heavy) and I have to pop a couple of paracetamol on day 1 for cramps, but that’s about it. I think everyone reacts differently. Just depends why you went on the pill in the first place. If it was for heavy periods for example, then the issue will still be there when you come off. But if it’s purely for contraception, you probably won’t see any difference. They say it can take up to a year for your body to go back to normal, so depends on the person. I was like clock work straight away x

Reactions: 3
I was on the pill from when I was 15 until 2 years ago (38) and I had no issues at all coming off it. Everything went back to normal pretty much straight away for me. It’s harder to predict exactly when your period will arrive and I probably get an extra spot here and there, only thing I find is that my periods are a tiny bit heavier (but definitely not heavy) and I have to pop a couple of paracetamol on day 1 for cramps, but that’s about it. I think everyone reacts differently. Just depends why you went on the pill in the first place. If it was for heavy periods for example, then the issue will still be there when you come off. But if it’s purely for contraception, you probably won’t see any difference. They say it can take up to a year for your body to go back to normal, so depends on the person. I was like clock work straight away x
That’s my fear. I want to come off it but I went on cause I would get 3 days of sickness and diarrhoea so I’m concerned if I come off it it’ll go back to that

Reactions: 1
I've recently come off the pill after 16 years and haven't had a good experience so far. I've gained a bit of weight, had a few breakouts of spots (really bumpy ones and painful around the jawline) shorter periods but more painful and as @Fizzwhizz2020 said the unpredictability of my cycle has been annoying. But we're trying to conceive so I'll have to put up and shut up. Hope it goes better for you!

I was on the pill for most of my twenties and stopped at 28 when we began TTC. Took around 7 weeks to have my first period then luckily I went straight back into my regular 28 day cycle. I did find my periods were heavier and more painful. But other than that no side effects at all 🙂

Edited to add - still got hormonal breakouts the week before my period started and my libido definitely increased.

That’s my fear. I want to come off it but I went on cause I would get 3 days of sickness and diarrhoea so I’m concerned if I come off it it’ll go back to that
If it helps I had the opposite experience to everyone else. I originally went on the pill because my periods were horrendous - on the first day I would be in severe pain to the extent where I’d be sick. I was so worried about coming off the pill when we starting trying to conceive; I went to the doctor before hand and was given pain medication to take as soon as my period arrived. However I didn’t need it! Whilst they were the same flow as before (no heavier or lighter) I just didn’t experience the same pain as I had done previously, it was strange. I was able to function and just get on with life. Now 5 years and 3 kids later, I’ve still not ever needed to take pain medication for periods. I’d been on the pill from 16 to 25 so I don’t know if my body just grew up in that time or what 🤷‍♀️

I would say just be really careful if you’re going to come off the pill and continue to be sexually active. 2 of those children above happened because of accidents :ROFLMAO:

I came off the pill last year due to wanting to see how it affected my anxiety and mental health, I took it from age 16-27 and I’ve seen no negative differences since I’ve stopped. I was concerned about my skin because i do have acne prone skin but nothing happened at all, I also feel so much happier and my labido is back to normal thank god.

I’m still on the pill but have also been thinking of stopping because I am curious if it would help with my moods but I am so scared of getting pregnant. Condoms can break so easily and I’m not to keen on all the other alternatives… What’s everyone’s alternative?

Why do you want to see how your body will react? If the pill is working well for you then why change that?

Reactions: 2
I came off the pill in September last year and my periods went straight back to normal. Didn’t have any negative side effects from coming off either and I’d been on it from 19-27

Got pregnant in January and now my baby’s here I’m going back on the pill again as I like being able to control when I have periods.

I’m still on the pill but have also been thinking of stopping because I am curious if it would help with my moods but I am so scared of getting pregnant. Condoms can break so easily and I’m not to keen on all the other alternatives… What’s everyone’s alternative?
I have the copper coil.
Completely hormone free. Lasts 10 years. Was completely painless to have put in and only took literally about 10 seconds to put in and I’ve had no issues whatsoever with it, it’s fantastic and I wish I’d had it years ago. I’d recommend it to everyone!

I have the copper coil.
Completely hormone free. Lasts 10 years. Was completely painless to have put in and only took literally about 10 seconds to put in and I’ve had no issues whatsoever with it, it’s fantastic and I wish I’d had it years ago. I’d recommend it to everyone!
Thanks for the advice. I once heard something about it not being suited for childless women though? A friend of mine also said it was horrendously painful to put in and she (and her partner) could feel it… which sounds scary.

I’ve always had terrible experiences with contraception. The coil I had was horrendous - made me bleed constantly, all my pills made me feel tit and put on weight and I absolutely hate using condoms. I finally went to a private gynaecologist (for a separate issue) and she prescribed me a new pill that (no joke) has changed my life. I’ve not experienced any weight gain, my skin is so clear and I feel totally normal- bizarre.

Thanks for the advice. I once heard something about it not being suited for childless women though? A friend of mine also said it was horrendously painful to put in and she (and her partner) could feel it… which sounds scary.
No, that’s not true. Anyone can have it - no matter if you’ve been pregnant or not.

hand on heart, it genuinely didn’t hurt at all in anyway to have put in. Honestly. It was painless and so quick. I was shocked at how easy and pain free it was. They pop the speculum in the same as for a smear test and that’s the only thing I could feel - nothing else. It was as quick as a smear test too.
I can’t feel mine at all, wouldn’t know it was there. My husband can’t feel anything at all either.

honestly it’s the best thing I’ve ever done!

• Heart
Why do you want to see how your body will react? If the pill is working well for you then why change that?
just want to say thank u all for the advice!!
reading your stories has been so helpful

i think i i wanted to try it because i’ve seen so many stories recently people coming off them and feeling like a whole new person
but after some thought, as you’ve said, it ain’t causing my any issues so why change? i’m safe and protected and don’t need to worry about much else so i’m glad i brought this up instead of doing something unnecessarily irrational:)

I stopped the pill in June (after 12 years) and my periods took 3 months to come back. I’ve had 1 so far and I’m waiting on the next one…

Side effect wise, I’ve actually lost a bit of weight, less anxious than I normally am and my skin hasn’t changed.

No issues coming off it other than it took my periods a few months to be super regular again. Best thing I done for my body personally.

If YOU have a stable life, can afford a child no benefits and is happy to become a young parent go for it!

No, that’s not true. Anyone can have it - no matter if you’ve been pregnant or not.

hand on heart, it genuinely didn’t hurt at all in anyway to have put in. Honestly. It was painless and so quick. I was shocked at how easy and pain free it was. They pop the speculum in the same as for a smear test and that’s the only thing I could feel - nothing else. It was as quick as a smear test too.
I can’t feel mine at all, wouldn’t know it was there. My husband can’t feel anything at all either.

honestly it’s the best thing I’ve ever done!
This is really interesting, I didn’t realise that there was hormone free contraception 🤦‍♀️ I’ve never gone back on the pill after coming off to have my first baby 5 years ago because I didn’t want anymore hormones. But then 2 more kids came along accidentally 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’ve just been reading uo about the copper coil and I like the sound of not having to worry for 5-10 years. Did you have any side effects like heavier painful periods? That bit has put me off!

This is really interesting, I didn’t realise that there was hormone free contraception 🤦‍♀️ I’ve never gone back on the pill after coming off to have my first baby 5 years ago because I didn’t want anymore hormones. But then 2 more kids came along accidentally 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’ve just been reading uo about the copper coil and I like the sound of not having to worry for 5-10 years. Did you have any side effects like heavier painful periods? That bit has put me off!
No, my periods are the same now as they were naturally. 👍

Wow - when mine were born the midwifes were practically shoving the coil in the next day!!!!! They were very keen to promote it!!! I declined at the time but then had it put in about a year after my youngest was born. I’d highly recommend it - if you try it and after a few months it’s not for you then you can get it taken it but give it a shot - I think it’s fantastic.