Coming off antidepressants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m currently on 20mg of citalopram and have been for around 4 and a half years since I was diagnosed with post partum depression.

I have felt well enough to come off them for a couple of years but can never deal with the side effects of weaning off them.

I have spoke to my doctor who agreed that I am ready to come off them and has given me a weaning schedule, I am taking extra vitamins and supplements, doing plenty of exercise but I am snappy and on edge.

Does anyone have any advice on what else I could try to ease the withdrawals and how long this feeling will last?

Reactions: 1
When I came off mine I did it incredibly slowly like even slower than the doctor suggested. So reduced the dose by 25% so rather than say dropping from 20 to 15 I would split it again to 17.5 and take 10 days rather than a week to reduce side effects.

Reactions: 3
Go very very slowly. I used to cut my tablets in half (a bit tricky as the tablets are quite small) and just go really really slow. That's great you feel ready to come off them xx

Reactions: 2
I second what the others said. I actually took 6 weeks to completely come off them and was totally fine.

Go reeeeeeeally slowly. It can be really rough coming off citalopram. Great that youre feeling well enough to wean off. Good luck!x

It’s absolutely possible to come off them. You have to do it incredibly slowly. If you do it too fast you will know about it.

It took me months and months to get off them but I did it gradually and it wasn’t too bad. I did try once before that and I did it too quickly. I felt like tit. The brain zaps were awful.

Get some advice from your GP so that you can make a plan together to get off them. Good luck :)