Collin the Caterpillar Vs Cuthbert the Caterpillar - M&S Vs Aldi Caterpillar Cakes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am from the UK too, but for almost 30 years (I'm 29 now) my parents always bought our birthday cakes from the same family bakery in Golders Green ( Carmelli's ).
the best bakery in London I always pop in when we go visit 🙂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Its definatly been funny how other brand have played along .

Coop made me laugh don't bring us into this.

Will judge rinder decide.

I buy a Colin the caterpillar cake at start if this month for sons birthday but this was pre legal action. I shop in aldi but don't recall seeing cuthbert.
Screenshot_20210418-095316_Instagram.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I am also from the UK too, but for almost 30 years (I'm 29 now) my parents have always bought our birthday cakes from the same family bakery in Golders Green ( Carmelli's ). The last one we ordered. My best memories as a kid include running straight to the fridge first thing in the morning the next day for left over cake.

View attachment 534583
Oh my days, that looks amazing. Is it made with fresh cream?

Reactions: 2
The cake jars are ÂŁ4 :ROFLMAO: this is why I'm a secret eater.
I only buy food items I want to give as gifts from M&S like their shortbread tins at Christmas. I wouldn't do a full shop there.

Oh my days, that looks amazing. Is it made with fresh cream?
Yes! They honestly haven't paid me to advertise for them, but this is me as a fat one year.

1618749784195.png

No settling- this is war now.

1618750240067.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I only buy food items I want to give as gifts from M&S like their shortbread tins at Christmas. I wouldn't do a full shop there.
I go most weeks and buy things I don't need, then I complain about the price. I think I'm a pretty typical M&S shopper, we like a good moan. Haven't seen the cake jars yet, but I'd have to hide them at the back of the fridge.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I go most weeks and buy things I don't need, then I complain about the price. I think I'm a pretty typical M&S shopper, we like a good moan. Haven't seen the cake jars yet, but I'd have to hide them at the back of the fridge.
As long you enjoy it hun I don't see the problem. Please time how long it takes before it is found. xD

You can still buy a giant one for yourself too. The comments here are also worth reading. #Teamcolin

1618752205053.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I find it bizarre that M&S are being seen at the villains in all of this. Aldi aren't some poor little company being bullied by someone much bigger. They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it for cheaper. I hope they finally get what's coming to them. I would imagine a lot of the hate for M&S is inverse snobbery as of course the middle class shop HAS to be the baddies and the place that sells cheap food to low income families have to be the goodies.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Last time I bought them they didn't make it out of the car and it's only a 15 minute drive so getting to the back of the fridge shows amazing constraint. I can highly recommend M&S Almond biscuits, they did make it out of the car but not into the cupboard.

I find it bizarre that M&S are being seen at the villains in all of this. Aldi aren't some poor little company being bullied by someone much bigger. They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it for cheaper. I hope they finally get what's coming to them. I would imagine a lot of the hate for M&S is inverse snobbery as of course the middle class shop HAS to be the baddies and the place that sells cheap food to low income families have to be the goodies.
I agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it
To be honest that could be said for m&s who have been accused of nabbing things from smaller producers to recreate in their own brand.

I think most people are on the side of Aldi as m&s come across as an out of touch bully wanting to deny people the ability to buy a cake at 3/5th of the price. Aldi are offering choice, m&s are trying to limit choice.

Aldi won't get what's coming to them, at worst they'll have to pay legal fees and told to stop selling the cake unless they change the design (use a different chocolate mold for the face and problem solved!).

But if they continue with the court action they'll keep giving publicity. Aldi will probably bring out a butterfly cake that could become iconic if they're smart.

It will probably join coke and their Peckham spring water amongst the great lessons in marketing.

Reactions: 15
Aldi are global these days as well as Europe they’re in USA,China and Australia so it’s probably bigger than M&S these days. The snobbery statement is very true. As soon as you say you’ve done some food shopping at either M&S or Waitrose you’re automatically labelled as a Tory voting middle class snob. Personally for my needs I can’t rely on Aldi/lidl. I get it’s great for some people but some people need to stop being so pressed about where a person buys their groceries.
The cake thing is just funny in reality nothing is ever going to come of it in the long run other than a perhaps a packaging change. It’s just a marketing thing in reality.

• Haha
I don't know if it's been said already but a female one appeared in my Tesco this week called Calli!

I had a Colin my 42nd birthday last month 🙈

My sister had a Mr & Mrs Colin as her wedding cake..

• Haha
  • Heart
The face is so earth shatteringly lame! How hilarious.

I am very fond of M&S, still consider it a bit of a treat tbh.

Reactions: 1
the tit thing about M&S and their lawsuit is their attempt to make it look like cushbert if effecting their fundraising for MacMillan.
just own it, you’re pissed, you’re a dying “brand” who’s lost appeal to most (especially since the pandemic has effected people’s spending habits) and you’re pissed, it’s nothing to do with charity.

but aside from that the best thing to come out of this is the updated cushbert jail box that now says “serves 12 years” 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I don't know if it's been said already but a female one appeared in my Tesco this week called Calli!

I had a Colin my 42nd birthday last month 🙈

My sister had a Mr & Mrs Colin as her wedding cake..

There is a female Colin called Connie.

I prefer Colin though. Don't know why. They had a Christmas Colin too.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I'd totally eat her. I wonder if her bow is flavoured like those pink chocolate mice :unsure:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9