Cloth sanitary pads

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am wanting to start using cloth sanitary pads/ period knickers.
Does anyone use them? Any tips for getting started, best place to buy etc?

Reactions: 4
I started using them last year, and have been really impressed! I suffer from really heavy periods and these have never leaked. Feel much more comfortable! I bought a pack from amazon, I liked the choice of patterns 😂

Reactions: 8
I’ve got some, they go hand in hand with cloth nappies which I use on my daughters, I really rate them! I used some postpartum with my second daughter and they were so much more comfortable than the disposable ones.
I’ve got Baba+Boo pads, definitely recommend them. Currently still without a period (my youngest is only 3months) but I’ve got 6 large and 4 medium for when it comes back.

I think I’ve got 6-8, Not loads but I wash them the same day usually.

Reactions: 2
I use cloth sanitary pads too, but because bamboo charcoal fleece, polyester that doesn’t leak and metallic clasps all give me skin problems, I’m still searching for the perfect pure cotton, plastic clasp holy grail. If you don’t mind metal, Glad Rags have cotton pads in a variety of sizes, but they’re really expensive. How many will depend how many times a day you need change the pad, and how often you want to do the washing. I have 6 heavy flow ones and 4 light flow.

I dry mine in the dyer, or on the radiator, they’re no hassle to wash and dry at all. If you get cotton ones, and they bunch up, I just stretch them to shape, wet or dry, and tightly roll each one in a bundle once they’re dry so they're crease free next time I wear them

Reactions: 1
Thank you ladies, will have a look at the recommended ones once the bambino's are in bed!

I started using them last year, and have been really impressed! I suffer from really heavy periods and these have never leaked. Feel much more comfortable! I bought a pack from amazon, I liked the choice of patterns 😂
how often do you change them
how do you wash them
where do you keep the soiled ones when you ar work or out and about

I'm really interested in this , I'm having problems with sanitary towles irritating me , I bleed sho heavy I usually leak so I need something very very absorbent.
How do you wash them ? Presumably not with other things ? Or do you need to rinse them out before going in the washing machine ?

how often do you change them
how do you wash them
where do you keep the soiled ones when you ar work or out and about
I'm really interested in this , I'm having problems with sanitary towles irritating me , I bleed sho heavy I usually leak so I need something very very absorbent.
How do you wash them ? Presumably not with other things ? Or do you need to rinse them out before going in the washing machine ?
You need to rinse them first - whether by hand or in a rinse cycle in the washing machine. Then they can be washed with anything else, but no fabric softener as it effects absorbency. You store them in a small wet bag and the bag can go in the wash too.
How often you change them depends on what size pad you’re using and your flow etc, but I find it not much different to disposables.

I have a mooncup for the heavier days and then some bamboo cloth pads. There are 6 and I was them in washing machine and dry on a rack. Links below:

Eco Lily® 6 Pack Reusable Cloth... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PXX3PLB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

PS yes, hand wash in cold water first to get rid of most of the blood

I've ordered a couple of eBay to see how I get on before investing in the more expensive ones. I've tried a mooncup before and didn't really get on with it, need to try again really.

I've ordered a couple of eBay to see how I get on before investing in the more expensive ones. I've tried a mooncup before and didn't really get on with it, need to try again really.
I tried a moo cup years ago and hated it, however I’ve gone back but tried a different brand, I use a Saalt cup now. What a difference. So much better. I am converted.

I bought most of mine online, but I quite fancy making my own! If I haven’t got a wash load on that day I’ll store used ones in a little plastic tub with some water in as it stops any stains setting in. Chuck the water on your flower beds! Don’t wash with fabric softener as that will damage the absorbency. I would leave them on an airer to dry, or try to get them on the line - if you have ones with Pul (waterproof layer) tumble drying will damage that.

I keep mine in a zip lock bag until I have enough to do a wash. I wash them separately, and I rub a bit of Vanish oxy clean into the stain (mine are light beige colour) and then wash them on 95 C (mine are pure cotton, the others probably need to be washed at 40 or 60 C). People say that you should immediately soak them in cold water in order to get the stains out but I don’t like the idea of having that lying around in my bathroom and I don’t mind some staining, as long as they are clean and washed. Likewise, when you are outside, just carry ziplock bag to put the used pad in if you need to change. I have a heavy period for 2 days, when I change them 2-3 times a day and then. 2-3 light days when I change the pad only once or twice.

Last edited:
I’ve ordered some I’m so excited, never been able to use tampons and I have such heavy flow I use two pads at a time which causes me nappy rash after a few days. Costs a fortune each month so hoping this investment helps and also feel better environmentally than chucking them away

Reactions: 7
I keep mine in a zip lock bag until I have enough to do a wash. I wash them separately, and I rub a bit of Vanish oxy clean into the stain (mine are light beige colour) and then wash them on 95 C (mine are pure cotton, the others probably need to be washed at 40 or 60 C). People say that you should immediately soak them in cold water in order to get the stains out but I don’t like the idea of having that lying around in my bathroom and I don’t mind some staining, as long as they are clean and washed. Likewise, when you are outside, just carry ziplock bag to put the used pad in if you need to change. I have a heavy period for 2 days, when I change them 2-3 times a day and then. 2-3 light days when I change the pad only once or twice.
Thank you
I think that's the main worry I'd have , them just sitting somehwere soaking , but obviously can't put the wash on for just them

I love mine. I use about 9 per a cycle. I have all different brands, some from Facebook, some from Etsy and some from online shops. It's finding what works for you. I'm a plus size lady and love 18inch pads but if you are say size 8 they probably would be too big. I would recommend Facebook and Etsy for buying them.