Classic Coronation Street

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m a bit behind but can someone explain the Anne Malone/Curly/Spider story I don’t understand it 🤣

Why did she go in the freezer, what was she trying to do?

Getting very near to the end of Alec Gilroy's 26 year association with Coronation Street. He leaves forever on 30th December 1998.

Obviously no chance of a return, with Roy Barraclough now having passed on.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Getting very near to the end of Alec Gilroy's 26 year association with Coronation Street. He leaves forever on 30th December 1998.

I’m sure Alf leaves on NY Day 1999, and in real life he died a few weeks later.

I sound like a proper old wifey but they just don’t make them like that any more! I haven’t watched a soap in real time for years but the old Corrie has some great characters. And Greg.

I’m a bit behind but can someone explain the Anne Malone/Curly/Spider story I don’t understand it 🤣

Was she not putting anti-freeze on some of the food or something like that? The security guard didn’t notice she was in the freezer and locked her in and he didn’t hear her shout because Spider turned up to meet Anne as arranged.

The actor who played Curly was an alcoholic and I wonder if him disappearing re that storyline was connected to that. He’s been sober a long time now but it must have been so difficult for the others to work round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
The Zoe and the cult storyline is utter bonkers.

Why on earth has Ashley not gotten the Police involved?

Reactions: 6

Was she not putting anti-freeze on some of the food or something like that? The security guard didn’t notice she was in the freezer and locked her in and he didn’t hear her shout because Spider turned up to meet Anne as arranged.

The actor who played Curly was an alcoholic and I wonder if him disappearing re that storyline was connected to that. He’s been sober a long time now but it must have been so difficult for the others to work round.
Anne had framed Curly by making out he had sent threatening letters that he would contaminate the food at Firmans Freezers or Freshcos or whatever it’s called and demanding money to stop him from doing it. As the police started investigating, Curly then went on the run as he had been stitched up and thought the police wouldn’t believe he was innocent (in real life Kevin Kennedy went into urgent rehab for alcohol addiction so they had to use Spider & Alma to finish the storyline).

As @LennyBriscoe said, Anne was putting anti freeze in some food in the large freezer as part of her framing Curly and switched the external red light off that indicates to somebody outside the freezer that their is someone inside it. The security man then locked the freezer not realising Anne was in it. Spider then knocked the front door and the security man went to talk to him

Reactions: 7
The Zoe and the cult storyline is utter bonkers.

Why on earth has Ashley not gotten the Police involved?
It’s a nutty storyline. He should be glad to be shot of her, she’s leeched off him for long enough.

It’s a nutty storyline. He should be glad to be shot of her, she’s leeched off him for long enough.
It is no wonder Park was on his way out at that point in time, if the best he could come up with was the cult crap.

Edit: The Park era was over a few episodes back. The 4th December 1998 was his last episode. Now in the David Hanson era.

It is no wonder Park was on his way out at that point in time, if the best he could come up with was the cult crap.

Edit: The Park era was over a few episodes back. The 4th December 1998 was his last episode. Now in the David Hanson era.
Was the cult Brian Park’s idea? I thought it was somebody else’s idea at Corrie as if you notice the cult is called Nirab, which is an anagram of Brian. And when they had a meeting once declaring their love for their leader, they did it in front of a picture of the actual Brian Park.

It smells of someone having a cheeky little dig at him

• Haha

I sound like a proper old wifey but they just don’t make them like that any more! I haven’t watched a soap in real time for years but the old Corrie has some great characters. And Greg.

Didn't Alf pass away in that cane chair at Gail's place, I'm sure I kept remembering when it was shown, why didn't they get rid of the chair?
Does curly come back?
You're right, there are no characters in recent soaps like most of the ones in the classics!!

Reactions: 9
Didn't Alf pass away in that cane chair at Gail's place, I'm sure I kept remembering when it was shown, why didn't they get rid of the chair?
Does curly come back?
You're right, there are no characters in recent soaps like most of the ones in the classics!!
Yeah I think he did, are they not having a party and they thought he was sleeping? Thank god Martin didn’t have to break the bad news this time 🙄

I’m not sure if Curly does come back - just googled it and he must but leaves for good in 2003.

I can’t remember anything about Alec leaving. Maybe it was a delayed reaction to getting into bed with Betty?

• Haha
Reactions: 7

I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. It was a rather hastily written storyline in my opinion. The fact the we didn't see Curly being interviewed by the police, then his exit which wasn't shown on screen. You are quite right in mentioning Kevin Kennedy's problems off screen. I'm so glad that he managed to overcome his addiction.

Reactions: 5
Curly comes back.

He does the very first two hander episode in soap land, when a very sophisticated Raquel visits. He also remarries a policewoman called Emma

Reactions: 4

He described working on Corrie (in later years) as a 'Sausage Factory'. I suppose this was very true with four episodes a week then being churned out. I wonder what he would have made of six episodes a week!

I also wonder if Roy was asked to return when Julie Goodyear did, in 2002 - but refused - hence why Bet said she was then divorced from Alec.

I found it quite cute when Tyrone met Kevin the other night especially now knowing the history between them

Blimey! Michael Crawford cameo in the Rovers.

Is he going to reveal he is Greg Kelly's real Dad? :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
It’s a minor point…but it’s meant to be Christmas time and Greg is in the Rovers dressed like the man from Del Monte

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.