Christmas watch 2022

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The chocolate advent calendars are popping up in supermarkets now. They're the same old tit every year by the same brands but they still get lapped up.

Reactions: 3
I think the problem is kids now are spoilt. When I was a kid I got presents on my birthday and Christmas THAT WAS IT. Now kids get toys all through the year and like you say its also Christmas eve boxes, elf on the shelve, expensive advent calenders so they don't appreciate it as much.

Reactions: 10
I think the problem is kids now are spoilt. When I was a kid I got presents on my birthday and Christmas THAT WAS IT. Now kids get toys all through the year and like you say its also Christmas eve boxes, elf on the shelve, expensive advent calenders so they don't appreciate it as much.
yeah and just one big presents and some little ones. Now kids are having multiple expensive presents in one Christmas and everything new.
If I wanted a phone for christmas it was usually someone's old phone that was jazzed up for me to use until I got to about 15.

Tangent, (and I sound like a dinosaur) but I also think that kids these days aren't going to know how to be bored. I went over to help with my little cousins sleep over once (12) and the kids were just on their phones the whole time. Just sat separately and watching each other's phones if one of them saw something funny. The only phones I had were pay as you go ones where you could text and play snake. We had to make our own fun or play with the toys we had. At 12, we'd have been making up dances, doing funny make up, playing board games, making cakes etc.

ETA: This was post-FB, Insta and snapchat but before tiktok

Reactions: 6
We were the same, toys were for birthdays an Christmas, occasionally if we did good we would get a treat but now kids getting things is just constant, for us to get somthing outside of bday an Xmas it meant

I love you and your kids. I need an update to this story though!! What happened? Were parents knocking your door? Were the school involved? Was your name mud at the gates? I need answers!
My name was worse than mud, think dog poop and you'd be closer. I have three children. The middle one is a wild card and took great delight in sharing that the elf couldn't be real because toys don't move and Toy Story is just a movie, it's not real and so on. Some little kid said to him "the elf is magic" so my punky 8 year old performed a magic trick involving a 50p piece to prove that magic is a trick just like the elf. That kids mum accosted me at the school gates and said we had ruined Christmas, I was tempted to quote the Grinch but thought she was going to thump me, so just smiled and said Christmas is a myth..... and carried on my way. I have never set out to ruin anyone's Christmas but I won't lie to my kids just so you can lie to yours. #grinch

If you want to play with an elf for 24 nights in December. Then go ahead, fill your elfish boots. But don't expect everyone else to lie for you, just because you want to throw toilet roll around and pretend that baking flour is snow. Some of us have sofas to sit on and bon bons to eat, we don't have time for that tit

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
My name was worse than mud, think dog poop and you'd be closer. I have three children. The middle one is a wild card and took great delight in sharing that the elf couldn't be real because toys don't move and Toy Story is just a movie, it's not real and so on. Some little kid said to him "the elf is magic" so my punky 8 year old performed a magic trick involving a 50p piece to prove that magic is a trick just like the elf. That kids mum accosted me at the school gates and said we had ruined Christmas, I was tempted to quote the Grinch but thought she was going to thump me, so just smiled and said Christmas is a myth..... and carried on my way. I have never set out to ruin anyone's Christmas but I won't lie to my kids just so you can lie to yours. #grinch

If you want to play with an elf for 24 nights in December. Then go ahead, fill your elfish boots. But don't expect everyone else to lie for you, just because you want to throw toilet roll around and pretend that baking flour is snow. Some of us have sofas to sit on and bon bons to eat, we don't have time for that tit
Ruined Christmas 😂😂😂😂 Also your 8 year old sounds like a fab kid. You’re right though. Also no offence but do 8 year olds legit believe that an elf is floating around their house? Do 8 year olds still even believe in Santa? I didn’t

That's insane, when I was a kid we all hit that age eventually where some kids had been told about santa an some kids hadn't so of course the ones that had been told took great delight in telling others, don't think there was ever a parent that went mad because kids were doing this, most just thought to themselves OK now maybe is the time to say, but yeah isn't 8 sort of getting on a little bit with still doing santa? I was young like really young, maybe around 3 or 4 only because I found where the secret hiding place was an my dad was just to lazy to make up stories as to why it was in the house but my brother was just shy of 7 I think when we said to him as most kids were around 7 an being told so we didn't want him to be getting made fun of from other kids who knew

That's insane, when I was a kid we all hit that age eventually where some kids had been told about santa an some kids hadn't so of course the ones that had been told took great delight in telling others, don't think there was ever a parent that went mad because kids were doing this, most just thought to themselves OK now maybe is the time to say, but yeah isn't 8 sort of getting on a little bit with still doing santa? I was young like really young, maybe around 3 or 4 only because I found where the secret hiding place was an my dad was just to lazy to make up stories as to why it was in the house but my brother was just shy of 7 I think when we said to him as most kids were around 7 an being told so we didn't want him to be getting made fun of from other kids who knew
I was 3/4 too. Mine was cause I didn’t know why we needed to give presents to poor kids when Santa should be doing that. I never told anyone at school though cause I honestly just assumed everybody knew and that they were just pretending to their parents as well 😂

My friend’s little cousin had to be told at 11 cause he was going up to secondary school and his mum didn’t want him to be laughed at. He still believed it and hadn’t thought to question which I still find bizarre tbh

I honestly can't remember if I even said to anyone at school or friends etc, my dad sort of just passed of off to me as a "you should already know this" kind of attitude so I guess I just thought maybe it was my mum being crazy telling me about santa since my dad was never one to really bring it up, made the house fun when my mum eventually found out lol, I did get told not to say to my brother but yeah you can imagine what happened there 😂 of course being siblings he just thought I was joking an trying to annoy him

I have had family who have tried to keep it going as long as possible an we have had to tell them like you need to say as they are way to old to be doing this, one of them was almost 12, some family have been unfortunatly babied but there's a line where its really not acceptable to go that far

Ahh another middle jelly story. 🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 1
When we were young my brother and me would write letters to Santa, and mum would "post" them up the chimney. Anyone remember those days? And all our Xmas presents fitted inside a pillow case that "Santa" left at the end of our beds. Oh to be young and innocent. 🤪

Then when I had my two kids how things had changed. But I still only bought them one big present each. Any new clothes I bought them from October until Xmas were all wrapped up together as a clothes bundle - and they loved it. The rest were little stocking fillers, and my mum and dad liked to buy them books and chocolates. Their other grandparents treated them too ... And that was enough, I thought.

Oh how I love Xmas. Yesterday I walked through the village, and the new shop was totally Christmassyfied. Today I'm going back to buy stuff to make a non-food Xmas hamper so I'll be in my element.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Ah, my people. Hello hello.
I adore the run up to christmas. The films and songs and colder weather and positivity but actual Christmas Day can do one - it’s awful 😆
This year, I’m in a rented flat that’s full of my worldly belongings while I buy a house and there’s absolutely no room for a Christmas tree. As you can imagine I’m a little devastated, so I’m going to have to come up with another plan - any ideas welcome!

Advent calendars: it’s always been a chocolate one for me. I tried a beauty one once and it was such a waste of money.

I have a very big family who all expect presents so I started shopping in early September so make sure I can afford everything - I know, it’s ridiculous but until I can convince them secret Santa is a good thing, this will continue foryears.

chrisfmas Eve boxes: I don’t have children but I still do a Christmas Eve box and it usually consists of small things for myself and my husband. A book, a pair of socks, a bath bomb, a face mask and some small sweets - like a small pamper night. Christmas Day can be absolutely manic, so it’s nice to relax and read a book in a candlelit room after a warm bath. I’d highly recommend - it doesn’t have to be expensive.

one thing I do still enjoy is going to midnight mass.I’m not religious anymore but there’s something very comforting about church at Christmas.

Also, outing Santa: we were told that if Santa wasn’t “real” (wink, nudge), we’d stop getting presents from him, and we didn’t want one less present - did we? so even if we “pretended” we’d still get one. We had varying ages of cousins so it was easier to shut up and get another gift 😆

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
So I need a knee operation and won't be comfortable for a while. So yesterday I made my Xmas cake and wrote my cards. But I've only bought three presents so far so I think I feel a shopping trip coming on next week.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have a few questions about real Christmas trees as we’ve always used an artificial tree.

How long do they last on average and do you have to buy a pot to put it in? how do you get it from the place you buy from and what do you do with it after Christmas? Because I drive a tiny car and no way would a Christmas tree fit in it 😂

I have a few questions about real Christmas trees as we’ve always used an artificial tree.

How long do they last on average and do you have to buy a pot to put it in? how do you get it from the place you buy from and what do you do with it after Christmas? Because I drive a tiny car and no way would a Christmas tree fit in it 😂
We only did a real tree one year because of the effort. It is still at the bottom of our garden 4 years later 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes you need to buy a pot, check the water regularly and the tree should last the whole month of Dec, they wrapped the tree in netting but yeah then you need to get it home so think about that when picking one!

We only did a real tree one year because of the effort. It is still at the bottom of our garden 4 years later 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes you need to buy a pot, check the water regularly and the tree should last the whole month of Dec, they wrapped the tree in netting but yeah then you need to get it home so think about that when picking one!
Yeah I think that’s what’s put me off getting one I could probably get someone with a bigger car to take it in to the house but don’t know what I’d do with the dead tree 🤔😂 If only there was someone you could pay to deliver them and then dispose of them! 😅

We used to have a real one every year when I was young but my god the mess they make lol the little pins just fall off everywhere an usually it's bald by Xmas day 😂 they need kept in moist soil an they do need to be kept a eye on if your home is really warm as well since you don't want it drying out, also it's best not to move anything on it once the decos are on to save the branches from the little pins falling off, we ended up going back to a artificial one

We used to have a real one every year when I was young but my god the mess they make lol the little pins just fall off everywhere an usually it's bald by Xmas day 😂 they need kept in moist soil an they do need to be kept a eye on if your home is really warm as well since you don't want it drying out, also it's best not to move anything on it once the decos are on to save the branches from the little pins falling off, we ended up going back to a artificial one
Ahhh they sound like so much hassle, I am getting so sick of my Christmas tree as it’s a ‘flocked’ one and I hate the snowy bits on it 😂 I would love a realistic artificial one but they are way too expensive for something I will see for 4 weeks out of the year.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.