Christmas Presents for Awkward People?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm wondering what everyone gets their friends and family usually? Particularly those who are maybe a bit more awkward or difficult to buy for? Looking for some inspiration, thank you ☺❤

A TIN oF biscuits or a smelly set, I hate just buying things for the sake of it so I know those things will get used

Reactions: 1
My go-to for people I'm not as close to is one of those cute mason jars full of baking goods. Like the ones with a bow on top and all you have to do is empty out the jar, add some milk, and bam -- cookies!

Or you could be like my boyfriend's family and get someone a grocery store gift card, since everyone needs food and all 😂 (Don't actually do that, I think it's the weirdest thing in the world haha)

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Gift vouchers for a favourite shop; something personalised, PJs (who doesn’t love new jammies?!); alcohol (if that’s what they enjoy). It all depends on the individual really. For the grandparents I usually make up goodie hampers with lots of biscuits, fave tea, luxury hot chocolate, sweets, shortbread etc. They usually go down well.

There was a TV programme on last night on Channel 5 about the rise of Aldi, and how it’s changed and become more aligned to British tastes since it first arrived in this country in 1990. A team of *experts* compared the Aldi hamper to the Fortnum’s hamper and Aldi came out on top, including the Christmas pudding. It might be worth looking at some of their offerings, inc. cakes and biscuits, especially the stollen. I go to both Aldi and Lidl, but more frequently Lidl, as it’s closer to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I usually do a hamper that I make myself & put things in there that I know will be used like food, drink, something for the home or toiletries. I hate waste but also hate not giving gifts so I find this is often a cheaper & less wasteful approach to those who are awkward because it'll be used! Sometimes I add in a little Christmas decoration too. Or if I'm just giving a little something I'll maybe buy a mug or nice wine glass & fill it with chocolate & maybe something I know they like.

I really hate buying things that might be wasted, so I ask people what they want. If they like surprises they can just give me a broad area to shop from, like a candle or a scarf or whatever.

My MIL is so tricky to buy for. She always gives me a list of things she doesn’t want. Which leaves me with nothing haha
Things she doesn’t want include and are not limited to-
Bath Products
No vouchers
Make up
Perfume
Nothing homemade -espically if done by a child
No appliances big or small
No homeware
No cushions/throws/ornaments
No shoes/boots etc
Gift sets of any kind
No food hampers/food including biscuits and chocolate
No clothes
No books
No dvds
No technology
No candles
No jewellery
No slippers/gowns/pj’s
No scarfs/hats/gloves
No bags
No photos/canvas
No spa days/days out/ afternoon tea etc

And I have no idea what to buy her anymore 😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
My MIL is so tricky to buy for. She always gives me a list of things she doesn’t want. Which leaves me with nothing haha
Bath Products
No vouchers
Make up
Perfume
No homeware
No shoes/boots etc
Gift sets of any kind
No clothes
No books
No dvds
No technology
No candles
No jewellery
No slippers/gowns/pj’s
No scarfs/hats/gloves
No bags
No photos/canvas

Mines EXACTLY the same!!! So awkward and makes it so hard. Every year she receives something the next day she asks for a receipt to take it back or a few months later its 'don't buy me that again'. We give cash or vouchers and she moans she has nothing to open. We tried experiences such as afternoon tea at the Savoy and on christmas eve she announced things like that were thoughtless and last minute! We now just buy whatever and give her the receipts on boxing day 😂

• Haha
Bath Products
No vouchers
Make up
Perfume
No homeware
No shoes/boots etc
Gift sets of any kind
No clothes
No books
No dvds
No technology
No candles
No jewellery
No slippers/gowns/pj’s
No scarfs/hats/gloves
No bags
No photos/canvas

Cashmere socks. Or one of those weighted blankets.

Reactions: 2
Mines EXACTLY the same!!! So awkward and makes it so hard. Every year she receives something the next day she asks for a receipt to take it back or a few months later its 'don't buy me that again'. We give cash or vouchers and she moans she has nothing to open. We tried experiences such as afternoon tea at the Savoy and on christmas eve she announced things like that were thoughtless and last minute! We now just buy whatever and give her the receipts on boxing day 😂
My husband says not to buy her anything at all. Her actual husband buys her nothing, tells her to choose herself something. Which of course she complains about.
Like you we have resorted to buying things and giving receipts. Then we get the response “I’m not going to that shop they did ..... and ..... once to me”. She’s taken to giving presents we’ve given her to other people and is very open about how it’s no use to her and she doesn’t like it.

Cashmere socks. Or one of those weighted blankets.
We’ve tried socks in the past, we got “I’m a size 9, I have wide feet , I have bloated feet. It won’t fit” Then a whole story about how when she lived in London she got all her socks from Selfridges and they’re not the same anymore. Even from Selfridges.
Add insult to injury she doesn’t even try the socks on.
A weighted blanket I will look into though, if she doesn’t like it I would lol
Thanks

Bath Products
No vouchers
Make up
Perfume
No homeware
No shoes/boots etc
Gift sets of any kind
No clothes
No books
No dvds
No technology
No candles
No jewellery
No slippers/gowns/pj’s
No scarfs/hats/gloves
No bags
No photos/canvas

Haha oh my god, I thought my family were hard to buy for! Nothing homemade - especially by a child killed me! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
My husband says not to buy her anything at all. Her actual husband buys her nothing, tells her to choose herself something. Which of course she complains about.
Like you we have resorted to buying things and giving receipts. Then we get the response “I’m not going to that shop they did ..... and ..... once to me”. She’s taken to giving presents we’ve given her to other people and is very open about how it’s no use to her and she doesn’t like it.

We’ve tried socks in the past, we got “I’m a size 9, I have wide feet , I have bloated feet. It won’t fit” Then a whole story about how when she lived in London she got all her socks from Selfridges and they’re not the same anymore. Even from Selfridges.
Add insult to injury she doesn’t even try the socks on.
A weighted blanket I will look into though, if she doesn’t like it I would lol
Thanks
If she’s a size 9 then look at men’s socks. Does she wear boots? I’m quite obsessed with socks myself. I’ve always scouring websites for good socks. I got a lot of different ones on the TXMaxx website earlier this year. I usually wear two pairs with my boots. JCrew used to have good socks on their website and delivered for free but now they charge. It is free to order from their UK stores though.

Also, check out the Pantherella site. British made socks for men and women.

Last edited:
Bath Products
No vouchers
Make up
Perfume
No homeware
No shoes/boots etc
Gift sets of any kind
No clothes
No books
No dvds
No technology
No candles
No jewellery
No slippers/gowns/pj’s
No scarfs/hats/gloves
No bags
No photos/canvas

Would she like a smack round the face? There's plenty to go round and the best part is they're free! Jokes aside this is the rudest person ever!! How do you cope!?🙈

Reactions: 2
Donate to charity in their name. 😬
Or buy a goat from oxfam 🙂 30 quid and nobody can complain

Reactions: 5