Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and New YouTube Rules

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was gonna post this in off-topic, but it is about family vloggers. Admin, please move it if it’s in the wrong section.

I’ve been watching videos about the new rules all night. From what I’ve heard any video featuring a child under 13 is automatically deemed to be kids content?
Even showing a pet is marked as for kids?

It seems to me that nobody really understands it fully and knows how it’s going to go.

I’m going to burn in hell for wishing ill on people but surely this has to mean the Ingham channel will die? (🤞) Allllll of their content is the kids doing kids stuff.

I’m so looking forward to seeing how family vloggers specifically are going to be affected. Surely family fizz are in the tit too. 90% of their content is challenges.

I heard about someone who showed kids cereal in her grocery haul and it was flagged as kids content??

I’m sorry if I’m just repeating other peoples thoughts. I’m sure it’s been speculated about to death within threads here.

Does anyone have more understanding than me about this all?

Last edited:
I was gonna post this in off-topic, but it is about family vloggers. Admin, please move it if it’s in the wrong section.

I’ve been watching videos about the new rules all night. From what I’ve heard any video featuring a child under 13 is automatically deemed to be kids content?
Even showing a pet is marked as for kids?

It seems to me that nobody really understands it fully and knows how it’s going to go.

I’m going to burn in hell for wishing ill on people but surely this has to mean the Ingham channel will die? (🤞) Allllll of their content is the kids doing kids stuff.

I’m so looking forward to seeing how family vloggers specifically are going to be affected. Surely family fizz are in the tit too. 90% of their content is challenges.

I heard about someone who showed kids cereal in her grocery haul and it was flagged as kids content??

I’m sorry if I’m just repeating other peoples thoughts. I’m sure it’s been speculated about to death within threads here.

Does anyone have more understanding than me about this all?
According to the Inghams’ nothing will happen 🤣 they say they don’t fall under YT rules so the changes won’t have any effect!

Reactions: 2
According to the Inghams’ nothing will happen 🤣 they say they don’t fall under YT rules so the changes won’t have any effect!
Yeah, I read Chris’ insta comments on it, but from my (very limited) understanding of it he’s very wrong! How are kids on theme park rides not attracting children??

Most channels I enjoy I think - hope - will be safe. Like you, me and the 6cs, she has made some toy type videos but her channel is mostly motherhood chat. I don’t think her channel would attract kids. And her comments reflect that. It all seems to be women of a similar age to her. Unlike the Inghams where their comments are all from kids, with just a few deluded adults!

No one has a definitive answer on this until the rules are actually implemented from Jan 1st 2020. All content creators can do currently, is read the FTC‘s website on Coppa law, and decide wether their content is made for or targeted towards kids under 13

Personally, having researched this quite extensively (search ‘coppa’ on the Inghams threads), I am 100% certain that Family vloggers will be significantly affected

There are many reasons for this, but the main ones are as follows

Several channels including several large family channels were contacted by Youtube in September 2019, and advised to pivot their content away from content that appeals to children, and given 4 months to do this

From January 1st 2020, all creators will have to decide who their target audience is, and state this at channel level, or on each individual upload

As family vloggers feature children under 13 doing activities that appeal to kids, and they make up a significant part of their audience, (clear from comments section alone) if you look at the FTC guidelines regarding ‘Is my content directed at kids’ and apply accordingly, these vlogs will no longer be promoted or monetised

If family vloggers won’t accept they have huge amount of child viewers, Youtube will be using machine learning to work out who is watching, and set their content level for them. They also risk losing their channel, or huge fines if they continue to mark their content as not made for kids

January is going to be extremely interesting, and you will be able to see who is being affected by looking at drop in viewers, and several more pity fest vlogs crying about how a law that is for children's protection isn’t fair and needs to be stopped because they don’t want to have to go back to a normal life, job etc

Reactions: 2
No one has a definitive answer on this until the rules are actually implemented from Jan 1st 2020. All content creators can do currently, is read the FTC‘s website on Coppa law, and decide wether their content is made for or targeted towards kids under 13

Personally, having researched this quite extensively (search ‘coppa’ on the Inghams threads), I am 100% certain that Family vloggers will be significantly affected

There are many reasons for this, but the main ones are as follows

Several channels including several large family channels were contacted by Youtube in September 2019, and advised to pivot their content away from content that appeals to children, and given 4 months to do this

From January 1st 2020, all creators will have to decide who their target audience is, and state this at channel level, or on each individual upload

As family vloggers feature children under 13 doing activities that appeal to kids, and they make up a significant part of their audience, (clear from comments section alone) if you look at the FTC guidelines regarding ‘Is my content directed at kids’ and apply accordingly, these vlogs will no longer be promoted or monetised

If family vloggers won’t accept they have huge amount of child viewers, Youtube will be using machine learning to work out who is watching, and set their content level for them. They also risk losing their channel, or huge fines if they continue to mark their content as not made for kids

January is going to be extremely interesting, and you will be able to see who is being affected by looking at drop in viewers, and several more pity fest vlogs crying about how a law that is for children's protection isn’t fair and needs to be stopped because they don’t want to have to go back to a normal life, job etc
Thanks a million for your explanation. I really appreciate it. I want to understand it all properly

Now they have to choose who their audience is when they upload, will the Inghams have it listed as aimed at adults? Is there any way to tell what category they’ve put themselves in?

Thanks a million for your explanation. I really appreciate it. I want to understand it all properly

Now they have to choose who their audience is when they upload, will the Inghams have it listed as aimed at adults? Is there any way to tell what category they’ve put themselves in?
No worries. Glad to help

Currently my understanding regarding categories, is that only the content creator will be able to see how they have set their channel and/or individual vlogs

I think the scenario with many family vloggers will be as follows (particularly the Inghams as they are blatantly making content that targets young children)

They will mark their channel as not made for kids, and will leave all vlogs past and present as not made for kids. Youtubes machine learning will then look at the data of the age of their viewers from various sources, and start to auto set the vlogs that have significant child viewers as 'made for children'. These vlogs will be obvious due to large dip in viewing figures, especially within the first 24 hours, as they will not be promoted, subscribers won't be notified of new uploads, comments will be switched off, even for channels that got to keep theirs etc

Link below is officially from YouTube on how to set your content at channel and video level amongst other things re coppa

Reactions: 1