Childfree by Choice #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's an article in The Atlantic about the resignation of Sheryl Sandberg and harps on about how wonderful having kids is (it was written by a woman, btw) and that people are choosing to be childfree because of corporate pressure :rolleyes:

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 10.23.03.png

What an awful way to describe children. They didn't choose to be born, and many suffer at the hands of awful parenting or circumstances. They are not miniature love robots for you.

Reactions: 23
What an awful way to describe children. They didn't choose to be born, and many suffer at the hands of awful parenting or circumstances. They are not miniature love robots for you.
And some parents can’t accept it when it doesn’t happen. My husbands mother was an alcoholic and abusive to him as a child, she cannot understand why he doesn’t love her because she is his mother. He has had to explain that he does not see her as a mother or his family but she still doesn’t get it.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
My reasons for not having kids, in no particular order:

- No interest in children generally, find them boring.
- Scared of childbirth, and associated effects of pregnancy on body sounds uncomfortable.
- I like doing my own thing, choosing what I want to do, when I want. I love being able to get in my car and go wherever I want for the day/weekend, on my own terms. Children would mess this up.
- My partner doesn't want kids either so I don't feel pressure to have them.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I used to tell my MIL we had to do the plant, pet rule first before babies. Keep a plant for a year, then keep a pet etc. Now we have a cat I just tell her the cat doesn't want any competition so thats that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I used to tell my MIL we had to do the plant, pet rule first before babies. Keep a plant for a year, then keep a pet etc. Now we have a cat I just tell her the cat doesn't want any competition so thats that.
Mines the same. He's actively attacked children who've dared to enter my house (even though I'm like DO NOT TOUCH THE CAT. He only likes nice ladies...perv)

Good boy 😎🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I tell my MIL I'm too busy bringing up one of her kids to have my own

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
Me! Child free by choice! And happy with my life! Care free but it’s everyone’s own choice

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Is it normal to suddenly feel all sorts of feelings when you hold a baby that relates to you? My sister has had her first baby (I’ve become an aunty for the first time, too) and I sometimes tear up when I look a photos of her. I’ve said I’ve not wanted kids for the last 20 years, but now I’m worried I’ve been wrong all along 😂 I’ve never felt this way when holding my friends babies. I told myself it’s because she’s cute and they don’t stay cute forever. They turn into teenagers who slam doors and will be a constant worry for the rest of your life lol.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Is it normal to suddenly feel all sorts of feelings when you hold a baby that relates to you?
Ah yeah totally normal, babysit for a night or two though you'll soon be back to the way you thought before lol. I love my god child, think he's the best kid ever but I'm happy out with our few days out during the year etc

Reactions: 10
Is it normal to suddenly feel all sorts of feelings when you hold a baby that relates to you? My sister has had her first baby (I’ve become an aunty for the first time, too) and I sometimes tear up when I look a photos of her. I’ve said I’ve not wanted kids for the last 20 years, but now I’m worried I’ve been wrong all along 😂 I’ve never felt this way when holding my friends babies. I told myself it’s because she’s cute and they don’t stay cute forever. They turn into teenagers who slam doors and will be a constant worry for the rest of your life lol.
I think it’s normal and you can’t really compare it to friend’s babies. I’m an auntie and it’s a great joy of my life. Sometimes I get really emotional thinking about my niece and nephew - I just love them so much. I don’t want kids of my own though 🤪😆

Reactions: 9
Not for me, when visiting my newborn nephews and nieces was very happy they were healthy but also very happy it was just a visit, much more interested in fussing the animals

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Sounds awful to admit, but I never felt an attachment to my nephew either. I just don’t like to be around children full stop, whether they are mine or not.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I have never felt attachment strong attachment to any babies but I haven't been around that many. I would say its completely normal to love and get feelings over a baby - that still isn't the same as wanting to parent though.

Any time I think of babies and get the "awww" I embrace it, then I remember my younger brothers antics at 16 years old and remind myself babies become 16 year olds who live in your house and take your money and food.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Sounds awful to admit, but I never felt an attachment to my nephew either. I just don’t like to be around children full stop, whether they are mine or not.
I’m so glad/relieved to see somebody else saying this. So many people wang on about how great it is to be an aunty, how you get all the best bits, etc. but it honestly leaves me cold. If I had nieces instead of nephews I guess I might be more interested?

Reactions: 7
My niece is 17 and I barely know her - we live hundreds of miles away from my brother and we're not a hugely close family. I've only met her in person maybe a dozen times and she doesn't do email or social media, so there's really not much of a relationship there at all, it's sad.

Reactions: 5
I never hold babies so I don't know 😅. Going to meet my cousin's baby today and I'm dreading it a little because I feel like I have to act a certain way and I can't give the reaction people expect. Perhaps I'll feel something if my sister has a baby though?

Reactions: 7
Currently in Cineworld in Milton Keynes.

So. Many. Children. Not being remotely controlled. It's horrible.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.